Warzone 2100+ mode?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Warzone 2100+ mode?

Post by Revelo »

Hey Project, not been around much due to certain personal issues cropping up in my life. I return today with a simple idea for a mode of Warzone to play the game from a different angle. Since Black Project has made arguably one of the best mods for the game, which i feel is probably the hardest version fo an RTD ever. I had it in mind to swing the difficulty meter right to the opposite side, at least to a degree.

I took note of how Prototype gave you a '+ mode' in which you could play through the entire campaign again with all the powers unlocked. So how about doing a version of Warzone where you start off with every technology unlocked? I know that takes away the point of researching new technologies, which is part of the game. My thinking is just a simple, fun mode where the other aide is having to play catch up to you for once, them gradually getting closer to your level of power until it's back to even ground for the last few Gamma missions. So you can go pummeling the crap out of the New Paradigm with VTOL's and laughing as they are completely powerless to stop you.

I know how silly this sounds, especially when you can cheat to get everything anyway. I don't even know if this has been attempted. but I would be interested to hear thoughts from everyone.
Read my review of Warzone 2100 here!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.115500
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Warzone 2100+ mode?

Post by Zarel »

I dunno, that's actually not too bad of an idea. It'd be fun to swarm Pulse Lasers on the scavs. Imagine using skirmish tech! Incendiary howitzers, auto-repair, and LasSat!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

there was a mod for the original wz2100 that did exactly that... if i remember correctly it was named all research or something along those lines... dunno if its still available or not... i will have a look through and see if i have it archived or someone could check the .DE site - i think i saw it there a long time back. :3
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I think that was MP only, though. This one looks like it's for campaign.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I recall that some of the action RPG games (eg Diablo) let you start over with all the fun stuff you had acquired during the first run through the game at the higher difficulty level. However, the enemies were also scaled up to match. So though you had all the nastiest weapons you used to dispose of the last level boss, even the simplest critters on the next difficulty level would cause a challenge. We could implement something similar by simply ramping up damage done by and hit points of the enemy sufficiently. A scav taking out a heavy cannon tracks in one shot would be fun, no? :twisted:
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Alternatively just ramp up the power adjustment (cheating) of the enemy and the AI controlling it ^_^

A heavy tank tracks being taken out by a 'swarm' of buggies would be fun ;c) And a scale up of enemy tech faster through the missions would also work. I like the idea of facing scav tanks in mid Alpha.
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Post by Revelo »

Per wrote: A scav taking out a heavy cannon tracks in one shot would be fun, no? :twisted:
If it was a scav foot soldier doing that I would laugh xD :twisted:

I'm happy to see a positive response to the idea too. If such a mods exists I guess it wouldn't be too hard to adapt it for 2.2.1
dragoncrusher
Greenhorn

Post by dragoncrusher »

this, i would agree to, would be hell a lot of fun, maybe, there could be 2 option where you can pick the normal mode or the all you have research mode =)

lazsat the coltive vtol pad >_>
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

That might be interesting, though there is a major difference between Warzone 2100 and RPG's like Diablo that I think is very important in making the game fun to play again from start with your already strong character - and that is that you would never be able to get all upgrades in the tech tree on the first playthrough (and often the tech tree forks in different directions, kind of requiring the player to choose which way to go and then only being able to get the techs in the fork he chose, having to create an entirely new character to try out the other directions), I doubt you'll get the same sense of progressing when you start the campaign again with all techs researched already.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Post by Revelo »

Just realized that in order for '+ mode' to work you would need to have max power at the start too, due to costing.
NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by NEXUS »

Maybe keeping the power levels the same could balance it slightly... xD Make you work for the techs that you have.
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

This would be pretty simple to do in the source (even though I hardly know a lick of C, even with Zarel's help :P).

Just make it a new game option (below New Game) and activate the "research all" cheat.

Trying to figure out how to do it myself. :P
Bring back...ducks!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

BlueMaxima wrote:This would be pretty simple to do in the source (even though I hardly know a lick of C, even with Zarel's help :P).

Just make it a new game option (below New Game) and activate the "research all" cheat.

Trying to figure out how to do it myself. :P
Easier way is just to mess with the stats. Set everything on auto-enable.
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Post by Revelo »

Zarel wrote: Easier way is just to mess with the stats. Set everything on auto-enable.
Then go and leave your computer for 2 hours to accumulate the necessary power to build everything ;)
iMac
Trained
Trained

Post by iMac »

Campaign+ mode & the Challenges all seem like very good ideas...

+1 Vote for both of these