Port the game to Spring?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
qwerty800
Trained
Trained

Port the game to Spring?

Post by qwerty800 »

I know I may look like a N00B that only cares about the graphics, but...

Why couldn't we port Warzone to the Spring engine?

When somebody asks to modify the engine, to allow better poly count, for example, the devs refuse because it's too much work!

And because of that, we're still stuck with an archaic (no offense, but 10 years is a lot in computers' world) engine!

Same things with the PIE files! They're getting older and older, and some of them (like the derrick) are hard-coded in the game, and are very hard to change!

On the other side, Spring is a free, high quality engine for RTSs, for which we could completely redo from scratch (just like the new beta HUD) the game!

It may sounds crazy, but most of the job is done! We just need to export the models/textures (at higher resolutions, of course!), set the "stats" of every vehicle, do that "HUD" thing and we're done!

Well, that's just an idea...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Port the game to Spring?

Post by Zarel »

...um...

1. If it's so easy, why don't you do it?
2. You don't because it's not easy. We don't for the same reason,
3. Warzone engine supports plenty of things the Spring engine doesn't. Once you try to port, you'll realize this pretty fast.
4. Our engine has been continuously updated - the current code is nowhere 10 years old. Compare screenshots of 2.3 pre-alpha with screenshots of the original retail Warzone - ours looks a lot better for good reason.
5. That said, I could be wrong, and it could indeed be possible to port Warzone over. If so, feel free to do that yourself.

Isn't this in the FAQ already? Like, as the second-to-last question?
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Post by new paradigm leader »

qwerty800 wrote:I know I may look like a N00B that only cares about the graphics, but...

Why couldn't we port Warzone to the Spring engine?

When somebody asks to modify the engine, to allow better poly count, for example, the devs refuse because it's too much work!

And because of that, we're still stuck with an archaic (no offense, but 10 years is a lot in computers' world) engine!

Same things with the PIE files! They're getting older and older, and some of them (like the derrick) are hard-coded in the game, and are very hard to change!

On the other side, Spring is a free, high quality engine for RTSs, for which we could completely redo from scratch (just like the new beta HUD) the game!

It may sounds crazy, but most of the job is done! We just need to export the models/textures (at higher resolutions, of course!), set the "stats" of every vehicle, do that "HUD" thing and we're done!

Well, that's just an idea...
i think you are either joking or mad.
Spring. i've tested that and let me tell you it is frankly unstable. it require two extractions not just one. it also lack support for research.
there are more bugs in that engine than in a nest of africanised honey bees and the whole "ten years old" rubbish is completely erroneous this engine has been updated oiled field tested and updated again the graphics have improved and lets face it this game was about ten years at least ahead of the nearest competition (C&C) the developement here is amazing. there have been many new versions developed here and they keep getting better. also at the base of that the engine is a C++ engine which are the kind most games use today. also if you think there have not been changes please check out i-Nod's controversial new scav jeep or mysteryem's work or any of the work carried out by our brilliant mappers and graphics artists.

spring is not the way forward the graphics on it are worse than ours and then there are the bugs
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Zarel wrote:Isn't this in the FAQ already? Like, as the second-to-last question?

i think it is but it doesn't (nor do i think it ever will :( ) stop people from asking.
however maybe we should create a thread/ board within the forum for porters to work with. after all my failed Psp port idea (damned sony proprietary... :mad; ) was how i started out on this forum But and here is the big But it will not be a request board. it will be a development area for ports to other systems. and a showcase to show these off and all is well (i personally would like to find what program sony use to make their disks so hard to copy then use it to create warzone ps2 disks to hand out for free but thats never going to happen :) )

Yours
NPL
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

new paradigm leader wrote: this engine has been updated oiled field tested and updated again the graphics have improved and lets face it this game was about ten years at least ahead of the nearest competition (C&C) the developement here is amazing. there have been many new versions developed here and they keep getting better. also at the base of that the engine is a C++ engine which are the kind most games use today. also if you think there have not been changes please check out i-Nod's controversial new scav jeep or mysteryem's work or any of the work carried out by our brilliant mappers and graphics artists.
Why not mention the new terrain changes? o_O

Also, the scav jeeps are pretty much some of the least controversial work ever posted to the forums. Once the line thickness and color issues are resolved, we're definitely accepting it into trunk.
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

ah but i think the thickness is perfect. consider that scavs scavenge their units are to be light and fast at first. then move on to tanks of some sort.... damn i need to learn how to code and never forgetting the terrain work as well in fact the terrain work in particular is what i mean when reffering to our mappers then you have the textures updates then you have the AI updates all in all spring cannot compete and maybe They should change to Our engine? xD
BulletMagnet
Trained
Trained

Post by BulletMagnet »

come to think of it, the Moho Engine supports researches (it did in Demigod, and unfortunately will do so to a much greater extent in SupCom2). it also would support a design system too.

it's markedly more stable than Spring, and it's also largely done in Lua (as is Spring). if there was serious work on a port to Moho i'd throw my hat into the ring and help (check my post count on the developer's forums in the modding section), but at the end of the day i'll still prefer my Warzone from here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

BulletMagnet wrote:come to think of it, the Moho Engine supports researches (it did in Demigod, and unfortunately will do so to a much greater extent in SupCom2). it also would support a design system too.

it's markedly more stable than Spring, and it's also largely done in Lua (as is Spring). if there was serious work on a port to Moho i'd throw my hat into the ring and help (check my post count on the developer's forums in the modding section), but at the end of the day i'll still prefer my Warzone from here.
The Moho engine is also, as far as I know, Windows-only, and an intense drain on resources. So no.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

qwerty800 wrote:Well, that's just an idea...
Ideas are cheap (even if the "intellectual property" lobby wants you to believe otherwise). We have long threads full of ideas here. We don't have enough people that actually work on the game (or those people don't have enough time), so any progress is very slow.
qwerty800 wrote:Why couldn't we port Warzone to the Spring engine?
Both projects are GPL - go ahead, nobody prevents you from doing it.