Video Quality for Video Files For Warzone 2100

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
ncys1
New user

Video Quality for Video Files For Warzone 2100

Post by ncys1 »

I downloaded Warzone 2100 video files and used it.......it looked liked it was low quality or did it come this way?

I'm playing on 1280x800 resolution
Bored
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Re: Video Quality for Video Files For Warzone 2100

Post by whippersnapper »

ncys1 wrote:I downloaded Warzone 2100 video files and used it.......it looked liked it was low quality or did it come this way?

I'm playing on 1280x800 resolution
This was covered in great detail a couple of months ago in this thread: Cut Scenes

Regards, whip :ninja:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

It's lower quality, partially because we don't have the resources to host a high quality version, partially because no one bothers reencoding it.

Seriously, I would love if someone would go and reencode the original high-quality videos for us. Any takers?
ncys1
New user

Post by ncys1 »

The video files are OGG files and I just tried no matter what I just can't enhance the quality without adding alot of size
Bored
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

ncys1 wrote:The video files are OGG files and I just tried no matter what I just can't enhance the quality without adding alot of size
OGG is NOT the file format of the original FMV / Cut-Scenes.
whippersnapper wrote:
This was covered in great detail a couple of months ago in this thread: Cut Scenes

Regards, whip :ninja:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yeah, and I'd really appreciate if one of you went and reencoded the originals with Thusnelda.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

ncys1 wrote:The video files are OGG files and I just tried no matter what I just can't enhance the quality without adding alot of size
In short, get this:
sequences_avi.tar.lzma - http://download.gna.org/warzone/videos/ ... i.tar.lzma
(hope you have a TON of HD space)
Then re-encode with Thusnelda, and whatever filters you want...

I would do just devastation for testing, then you can compare it to what I have done:
devastation-1600k-320x240.ogg - http://download.gna.org/warzone/videos/ ... 20x240.ogg

And see how good we can get it.
and it ends here.
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

not at home this week, but downloaded the sequences, extracted the lzma, currently extracting the tar (what a compression-ratio O_O of the lzma ), downloaded ffmpeg2theora-0.24-thusnelda experimental encoder and give it a try

it's the only encoder for windows i was able to find :stare:
if it's not the right one then leave a note, i'll look heere before starting encoding next week
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Buginator wrote:In short, get this:
sequences_avi.tar.lzma - http://download.gna.org/warzone/videos/ ... i.tar.lzma
I think at least some of the files are broken.
Thyranim wrote:not at home this week, but downloaded the sequences, extracted the lzma, currently extracting the tar (what a compression-ratio O_O of the lzma ), downloaded ffmpeg2theora-0.24-thusnelda experimental encoder and give it a try
The AVIs are basically a collection of completely uncompressed BMPs, so compression is very good. But as I said, the AVIs may be broken. Can you check the size of devastation.avi, it should be ~230 MB?
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

cybersphinx wrote:Can you check the size of devastation.avi, it should be ~230 MB?
435 MB and broken sound :rolleyes:
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

is there another source where i can download them?
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

For those of us who are lucky enough to still have them on disk. Would you be able to let us use the videos off of the disk. I'm assuming that they would be higher quality than they are now.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

Zarel wrote:It's lower quality, partially because we don't have the resources to host a high quality version, partially because no one bothers reencoding it.

Seriously, I would love if someone would go and reencode the original high-quality videos for us. Any takers?
I can help.

I have the original CDs and also, a recording program named Fraps, so when I'm finished moving and I get my things back, which may be early September, I'll see what I can do. I have the hard-drive space to do it.

If you're worried about the size of videos, I have a program named VirtualDub, which I use to compress videos. I'll need some input from you guys on what the quality and file size should be.

By the way, I may need permission from the creators of Warzone before I use their files (unless you guys took care of that already).
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Arreon wrote:I have the original CDs and also, a recording program named Fraps, so when I'm finished moving and I get my things back, which may be early September, I'll see what I can do. I have the hard-drive space to do it.
We already have the RPLs extracted into AVIs. I think our AVIs are incomplete, so feel free to re-record them. Just make sure you match their original framerate and audio quality.

The harder and more important part is still to convert that output into .ogg files, though. Encoded with Thusnelda. At reasonably high quality.
Arreon wrote:If you're worried about the size of videos, I have a program named VirtualDub, which I use to compress videos. I'll need some input from you guys on what the quality and file size should be.
If we just wanted them compressed with VirtualDub, I would've done it myself (it's not exactly hard to do). It needs to be an ogg file encoded with Thusnelda.
Arreon wrote:By the way, I may need permission from the creators of Warzone before I use their files (unless you guys took care of that already).
We've had permission for ages now.
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

so now we have to convert from rpl to ogg ... hmmm ....

i'm currently downloading the rpl-archive and give it a try...
will have to take a look if it's possible for me to open them *LOL*

i'll leave an update ;)