Easy AI?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Re: Easy AI?

Post by Troman »

Good tips. This one will only work well until 2.0.5 though:
themousemaster wrote: 1)  AI's shoot at the closest targets; as such, you can secure oil derricks for the better part of an hour by simply putting 4 bunkers around them in an adjacent X formation; enemies wont fire at the oil, and although mg bunkers wont kill anything after the first 10 minutes, as long as the oil keps pumping, its mission accomplished.
Using unfinished structure in front of defenses will not work either. AI is now evaluating its targets so that we can probably fix this one by adding some anti-bunker templates to the AI template mix:
themousemaster wrote: The AI seems to have some fervent hatred of anti-bunker weaponry (I may have seen an AI get a bunker buster 1 time, and their only flame weapons are ViperWheels), so putting even a defense as crummy as MG bunkers in FRONT of big-gun hardpoints will make for a defense that is rarely brought down.
Btw there will soon be another update for the skirmish AI, it will sure outperform the current version. Probaly not a problem for experienced players, but will certainly be more fun to feel additional competition during comp stomp games.
?topic=1617.0
D.Durand
Trained
Trained

Post by D.Durand »

Maybe you don't use LC tanks in attack, but they are usefull in the early defense. You can't relie on lancer without bonus or MG for defense vehicle. Rembmer : Use them

But if you don't want hear from LC, as you wish. With a good mix LC bunker well placed and LC tank for support hard pressed positions, you can research what you want without fear to be destroyed (Against AI, that's it).
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

D.Durand wrote: Maybe you don't use LC tanks in attack, but they are usefull in the early defense. You can't relie on lancer without bonus or MG for defense vehicle. Rembmer : Use them

But if you don't want hear from LC, as you wish. With a good mix LC bunker well placed and LC tank for support hard pressed positions, you can research what you want without fear to be destroyed (Against AI, that's it).

I have no idea what the first sentence means.

As for the second one, I've never used a LC bunker in defense of my base, unless I'm going the cannon route of tech (I normally go MG's / lasers).  Against AI, early MG bunkers with some minimal additional units will hold against current AI, giving you time to get to HMGCobras.  Use the HMGCobras to defend the chokepoint you are using your bunkers at while you build up enough HMGCobras to attack; then do so, leaving 2 to plug the hole in your bunkers after the attacking force goes through.

Will get you a 1v1 win almost every time, if pulled off quickly enough.

Of course, with AI changing...
karmazilla
Trained
Trained

Post by karmazilla »

6)  If all else fails, resort to walls.  The AI has a tendancy to pick a target, and then follow the "easiest path" it can calculate to drive straight to it.  If there is no path to it (I.E. the target it picks is totally unaccessible due to blocking paths), the AI will not move.
To save some money if you don't have anything behind the wall (like an oil derick), you can use tank traps.

I sometimes create a fomation like this (not exactly like it, but using the ideas from it):

Code: Select all

|  F F    |
|+++++    |
|H     H H|
|    B++++|
|B       B|
Or the like. F = flamer bunker, H = hard point, B = MG bunker, + = Tank Trap.
The thing is that my units can still get through, but the pathway will be virtually blocked. The AI will focus fire on the MG Bunkers (B) while the hard points (H) deals some serious damage. The lucky few who manages to tough the second tier of trank traps will get a warm welcome from the flamer bunkes who can easily shoot over the traps. Actually driving through this structure is inherently slow, leaving enough time for the flamers to really bite those who brave and dodge the fire from the hard points. Further behind this structure, I will have placed a sensor tower and a battery of mortars/bombards/howitzers/hellstorms.

Also consider, if you have an outpost under being preasured by heavy and frequint fire, a sensor tower and a couple of *put favorite artillery here* can really make a difference.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

light cannon hardpoints  backed by sensor and first mortars  - may not last too long but gives you some breathing room to research etc.

and following rule number 1 might make a difference as well...

R#1 =  "dont panic - use the enemies own momentum against them."  also

R#2 - tsun tsu  was right.

;D
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 23 Jan 2007, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Heyoka Wakan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Heyoka Wakan »

Troman wrote:

Btw there will soon be another update for the skirmish AI, it will sure outperform the current version. Probaly not a problem for experienced players, but will certainly be more fun to feel additional competition during comp stomp games.
hi. you fix all ai trucks scout before build fac, cap all base oil ? read in map post, no remember who but then see myself. very bad, srry. thank yu :)
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

Heyoka Wakan wrote: hi. you fix all ai trucks scout before build fac, cap all base oil ? read in map post, no remember who but then see myself. very bad, srry. thank yu :)
No, i'm aware of it though.
?topic=1617.0