What are Cyborgs good for?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Samowar
Trained
Trained

Re: What are Cyborgs good for?

Post by Samowar »

devastator wrote:Try to build 10 hover cobra flamers on 15th minute and then soon prepare some inferno units and you will see their power at skirmish game.
I was rather thinking of Flamer Viper Wheels in the early game. If you attack the enemy with, say, 5 MG Vipers and 5 Flamer Vipers, you have two choices: Setting them on "retreat at medium damage" - in which case most of your flamers will return home without having fired a single gush. Or setting them on "retreat at heavy damage", in which case I predict 4-5 MGs and 1-2 Flamer will make it back to your base alive. Before you get heavy bodies, Flamer tanks are just too weak to fight in the front row, so I prefer suiciding some cyborgs. Inferno Pythons are a different thing, of course.
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

Flamer cyborgs are ideal units at T1 and good at T2.They are really cheap and strong if there are many of them.Some of them will die,but there will be too many of them...and theiy are cheap.They can be added to most posbile strategies.Some middle cannon tanks+many flamer cybrogs+defense and economic at the start is really good strategy even if you have 5 oils without power module!I was amazed by this strategy,but it's not mine =P
HolyDragoon
Trained
Trained

Post by HolyDragoon »

Craig wrote:you know i just thought, you know that scavanger raider footsoldiers are tiny, but i remember in a in game scene where it said cyborgs where people in power suits, how come the cyborgs look about 10 feet tall in game :-S
Uh, just my 2 cents. The power suits don't have to be the size of a human. That's all good with Master Chief and stuff, but they can be bigger and still keep the human inside. That would make sense too, since youcan't expect a human to move his legs to keep the sheer weight of the suit going. (they carry cannons, i guess they need to have some system to nullify the recoil, hold the weight, etc...)

anyway, my guess is that the power suit is made of a central cockpit, where the pilot sits or something like that. The legs are powered by some obscure system that moves the hydraulics/even more obsure plethibonium/whatever that allow the legs to support the weight and move normally. there may be some sensors/targeting systemos/whatever in the "head" of the shuit, since the pilot would likely be in a armored cocoon...
"Relativity applies to Physics, not Ethics." - Albert Einstein
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

Cyborgs are very important when you first set out of your base in Skirmish mode. After all, you don't want the enemy rushing your trucks as they are building things.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

whippersnapper wrote:... Assuming that the lessons of and commitments to dealing in Asymmetric Conflicts will be lost between now and 2100 ...
There is no use for such tactics with conventional armies reminiscent of WWII.
whippersnapper wrote:... Also - armor & Vtol power plants are nothing more than internal combustion engines requiring the same logistics ...
Yes, but fuel would actually be easier to supply than food in a wasteland environment.

Fuel needs to be extracted and processed, but food needs to be grown or synthesized in greenhouses powered by turbine generators requiring the same fuel.
whippersnapper wrote:... Lastly - you seem totally unfamiliar with current and future infantry commitments, capabilities and tech collectively known at present as Land Warrior Systems ...
It is an initiative to bring already already existing AFV network centric warfare to infantry, plus some additional target guidance already present in targeting computers.

These do not excuse the presence of an organic component in open-field warfare.
HolyDragoon wrote:... The power suits don't have to be the size of a human ...
Then there is no reason to put a human pilot inside, any micro-controller can control articulated movement.

The combat benefits of articulated movement will not be demonstrated in a miniature robot, AFV sized possibly.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

whippersnapper wrote:... Assuming that the lessons of and commitments to dealing in Asymmetric Conflicts will be lost between now and 2100 ...
TVR wrote:There is no use for such tactics with conventional armies reminiscent of WWII.
Surely you jest. If not, what is your supporting evidence that these tactics are irrelevant with WW2 "conventional armies" ? Actually I can tell your knowledge of WW 2's tipping point to victory in the European Theater, from the Allied Forces vantage, is profoundly incomplete - it was NOT based on the massed phalanx of infantry or armor. Here let me give you a clue - "Alan Turing"... Saying such is such is hardly enough to persuade it is so. But I would guess this historical grasp akin a hunk of Swiss cheese, &, in addition, there is zero combat experience of any sort at work - that is, I would guess, never been in a fight for your life and the lives of others. Yes, this is merely a game we are speaking of but a major component of its thrilling immersion is avoiding something of a "vicarious death" so it needs to have some credible semblance to RL battle unless it's being played for laughs like a farce which is not the case here.
whippersnapper wrote:... Also - armor & Vtol power plants are nothing more than internal combustion engines requiring the same logistics ...
TVR wrote:Yes, but fuel would actually be easier to supply than food in a wasteland environment.

Fuel needs to be extracted and processed, but food needs to be grown or synthesized in greenhouses powered by turbine generators requiring the same fuel.
Based on what ? That is, what exactly are your references for a "wasteland environment" besides some handful of games, movies, comics and science fiction stories ?

WZ is an entertainment fiction constructed for interactive fun. As such the specifics that yield WZ's willing suspension of disbelief are but a tiny subset of what is a vast super-set of equally valid, viable and different possible postulations implemented for the sake of creating fun RTS gaming.

BTW - absolutely NOTHING in WZ's Gameplay Mechanics or Virtual World reflects any aspect of a "nuke wasteland" by any metric or ref - fictional tropes or hard science.
whippersnapper wrote:... Lastly - you seem totally unfamiliar with current and future infantry commitments, capabilities and tech collectively known at present as Land Warrior Systems ...
TVR wrote:It is an initiative to bring already already existing AFV network centric warfare to infantry, plus some additional target guidance already present in targeting computers.

These do not excuse the presence of an organic component in open-field warfare.
I know what Land Warrior Systems is in its total scope otherwise I would never have mentioned it - I wouldn't brandish the metaphorical equivalent of a fake, prop, sword. Never said an "organic" component would be superfluous. Wikipedia can only take you so far and it's not far enough, ever, really. "Deep Green" is all about smarter Commander on the ground decision-making in any battle theater, open-field or not, and is integral to Land Warrior Systems.. In short, this comment is a red-herring.

Regards, whipper :cool:
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

have been fighting with my self - but couldnt do it any longer... so here it is, with out further comment...

cyborgs, huh, yeah
What are they good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh
cyborgs, huh, yeah
What are they good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all
cyborgs, huh, good God
What are they good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me...

apologies to Edwin Starr - a takeoff on his War lyrics.
and i do so use cyborgs when i am playing... so dont go all heted up :3 xD xD xD xD xD
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

lav_coyote25 wrote:have been fighting with my self - but couldnt do it any longer...
Heh. Weakling!

Actually, that song pops into *my* head every time I see this topic. It was just a matter of time before somebody broke. And yeah, I like cyborgs, too.
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

whippersnapper wrote:... what is your supporting evidence that these tactics are irrelevant with WW2 "conventional armies" ...
Logic, which asymmetrical tactics could be applied in a conventional war?
whippersnapper wrote:... Based on what ? ...
Science, both radioactive contamination of arable soil, and insufficient sunlight due to significant concentrations of stratospheric dust.
whippersnapper wrote:... "Deep Green" is all about smarter Commander on the ground decision-making in any battle theater, open-field or not, and is integral to Land Warrior Systems ...
Equivalent C&C systems already exist for armour, without an urban operation environment, there is simply no need for infantry or infantry C&C.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Cyborgs + Cyborg transport = access to inaccessible spaces

Cyborg engineer = ability to place defensive structures in previously unthought of spaces.
kipman725
Trained
Trained

Post by kipman725 »

I use cyborg flamers to destroy enemy tank groups quickly and as an early game rush tactic. To destroy tank groups keep them behind some of your tanks untill the two tank armys have engaged and then run them forward into the midest of the enemy tanks causing massive splash damage and general chaos. They are also super efective agaist bunkers. Cyborg builders are cheaper than trucks. For early game rush just pump all reserch into flamer tech and cyborgs grab aload of oil and get 5 cybrg factories in loop production, get about 50 - 100 cyborgs and run straight into the enemy base.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Avestron wrote:Cyborgs + Cyborg transport = access to inaccessible spaces

Cyborg engineer = ability to place defensive structures in previously unthought of spaces.
I never thought of that! all those games with me thinking "Man I wish I could put some (inset weapon here) on top of that cliff.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual