How convert RPL movie in MPG, or WMV, AVI...?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
New Paradigm
Greenhorn

How convert RPL movie in MPG, or WMV, AVI...?

Post by New Paradigm »

Hi,

Here I write this topic to learn how convetir videos in Warzone 2100. Rpl to a standard computer format (WMV, AVI, MPG ...)
I need to convert videos for insérers a site dedicated to Warzone 2100.

Thank you in advance!
- - Bioxyde - - (New Paradigm in Game!)
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Re: How convert RPL movie in MPG, or WMV, AVI...?

Post by GiGaBaNE »

Not sure how difficult it would be to convert, probably not that hard if you can get an appropriate codec for your converter.
However the legal ramifications are much more of a concern. i understand we may be getting the FMV's for future releases, but i dont think its wise to push it by broadcasting those FMV's, clasic case of give an ince and take a mile..Please tread carefully, you wouldnt want to destroy this project with a copyright battle would you!?
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

FMV's and audio have been immediately released under GPL V2, therefore the granted license cannot be revoked, nor would any reason exist to.

I would recommend an analog capture of videos from the original release, as the .RPL codex is still proprietary.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

TVR wrote:FMV's and audio have been immediately released under GPL V2, therefore the granted license cannot be revoked, nor would any reason exist to.

I would recommend an analog capture of videos from the original release, as the .RPL codex is still proprietary.
Indeed? im slow to keep up with current events. Do you have any link to this new right of ours? im just folloing the old threads
e.g
cybersphinx wrote:The (*) refers to the previous sentence: Everything except music and movies should be there.

That should answer the question: The movies were not included in the GPL release. Maybe because of the codec, probably just because of the size. But that's how it is, and further requests did receive no answer.
as you can see, whether for legal reasons or other. the FMV's were not released in the first GPL. i would love to see the amendment you talk of =)
Misthafalls
Trained
Trained

Post by Misthafalls »

About the release of the video's see 'Happy New Year' topic:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2536

Then for the video's they are allready converted to ogg so that is way easier then rpl (rpl can't be converted anyways only be read and recorded with nice software MUCH work believe me :D)
Here you can download all the video's (its only 160MB :twisted: )
http://download.gna.org/warzone/videos/ ... es_ogg.zip

Greetz,
Misthafalls
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

Woot thank you! i missed that thread. that is great news indeed. lol, i love the wording, it reads 'get of your backside and fix it yourself' =D
but thats cool. looking forward to getting into the nightly build stuff and this just adds icing to the cake =D
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* HERE you will find the new GPL License text direct from Jay Walker @ Eidos and ensuing discussion..

* For me the irony is I asked for the exception clause and now I'm not using it. Oh well... O_O

Cheers, Rman :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

They are available in OGG Theora format from Gna!. Conversion was done — I believe — using an open source decoder for the dec130 format and RPL container. You will need to ask Angus for the details. The quality is okay, although using the new enhancements to the theora encoder, would allow for better quality without an increase in file size.

One can also use the original dec130.dll and associated header files to write a program to dump each frame as a PNG/TGA. ffmpeg/mplayer can then be used to stitch these frames together (along with the audio) and encode them to a format of your choice.

Both ways are orders of magnitude better than analogue encodes.
Rman Virgil wrote:For me the irony is I asked for the exception clause and now I'm not using it. Oh well...
We all did what we through was right/best at the time.

Regards, Freddie.
Diana
New user

Post by Diana »

I've created my own tool for compress/decompress ARMovie (RPL) video format, so now it is possible to convert to/from AVI. The only restriction - 130 codec
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Diana wrote:I've created my own tool for compress/decompress ARMovie (RPL) video format, so now it is possible to convert to/from AVI. The only restriction - 130 codec
While the FMVs are already converted, I would be curious to see your utility, and how it compares.
and it ends here.
Diana
New user

Post by Diana »

Compares what?
Attachments
rplavi2.jpg
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Diana wrote:Compares what?
Compares to the output of the utility that we used to convert rpls to ogg/theora.
and it ends here.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Diana, did you compare your programs output with the already converted videos yet?
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Diana
New user

Post by Diana »

I still cant understand what should i compare, AVI->RPL works fine. New RPL movies can be viewed by Eidos player, also it works with games, in my case Tomb Raider III Gold. In fuct I have changed original streamer "winstr.dll" to view movies in fullscreen size without interlacing
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

http://download.gna.org/warzone/videos/

The original FMVs are in .rpl format. Convert those to .avi, and then compare them to the .avi files in that directory.