Remove time limit from single player

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Remove time limit from single player

Post by Zarel »

Eheh, you guys are all really late. This was a thread from 6-7 months ago, you know. ;) I'm sure warkbt isn't even here anymore.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

I still don't get what the big deal is. If you don't wanna play with timers just "Time Toggle"..

- whip :ninja:
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Omikronman
Trained
Trained

Post by Omikronman »

Time Toggle worked in the Original Warzone, yes, but not in the Resurrection. Please keep in mind that on the Mac you can not add any switches to a application by using the info dialog!
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Omikronman wrote:Time Toggle worked in the Original Warzone, yes, but not in the Resurrection. Please keep in mind that on the Mac you can not add any switches to a application by using the info dialog!
I see. I stand corrected. There is then an issue to be dealt with positively - but removing the Timers from the Campaign and re-building it, re-scripting it, without them is not practical. I know how to make the Cam work well without Timers but the time involved is prohibitive. If ever
2120 is made, that would be another story. Timers, I agree, are really a shortcut to a more robust Campaign A.I. but I believe they must stand as no one is really gonna re-make the original. Still, Time Toggle, I think should be available and across platforms - it is the KISS solution here.

regards, whip :ninja:
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Omikronman wrote:Time Toggle worked in the Original Warzone, yes, but not in the Resurrection. Please keep in mind that on the Mac you can not add any switches to a application by using the info dialog!
You can. It is just a bit of a pain and not guaranteed to work. (FYI: You need to use the Terminal to launch the application manually from the bundle.)

Regards, Freddie.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

works in 2.2.1 windows version.
worked in the previous versions i used to.
warkbt wrote: There is no Brutal mode here. We have Easy, Normal, and Hard. The only thing they do is change the HP of the enemy units and structures.
yes there is... sort of
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2777
Black Projects hardcore campaign mod.
though really... hard could still use moar hard for my liking :3
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

EvilGuru wrote:You can. It is just a bit of a pain and not guaranteed to work.

(FYI: You need to use the Terminal to launch the application manually from the bundle.)
It's a bit unclear that these are responses to two separate messages.

For what it's worth, I recently updated Command Line Options with better Mac instructions.

http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/CommandLineOptions
Omikronman
Trained
Trained

Post by Omikronman »

Back in 1986 my 8 bit computer was the last one that started programs by using a command line. I have never had again to do with something pre-historic like that after that! O.o
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Omikronman wrote:Back in 1986 my 8 bit computer was the last one that started programs by using a command line. I have never had again to do with something pre-historic like that after that! O.o
Yeah, well, that's what I've been telling the other developers, but noooo, no one listens to the UI guy.

Don't worry, my new mod loading code should fix this, and then everyone can go back to using autoload folders (and Buginator can go back to complaining about autoload folders ;) ).
Omikronman
Trained
Trained

Post by Omikronman »

I am looking forward to it. :)
marauder
New user

Post by marauder »

guciomir wrote:First of all, you have plenty of time. One of my suggestion would be to limit time even more (for example in a hard difficulty). Losing a mission because of the timer is now impossible. Seriously. Maybe vs nexus, but not before. As some of you wrote earlier, timer must stay. Without it, a lot of players will destroy all but 1 enemy, go shopping, eating etc and after their return, with 10^5 power, they will start complaining that there is no timer.
Um... No. People like me just starting out on our first game don't. I was doing good until I got to the mission with a 2 hour time limit and after battling for TWO HOURS failed because I ran out of time. If you have perfect strategy and know the ins and outs of this game I'm sure two hours is enough, but its frustrating to waste that much time just to lose with only 2 bases left to beat. People just starting out aren't going to know things like sensors/mortars and other game mechanics I wasn't aware of like recycling to save experience and an artificial time limit really takes the fun out of a game when youre making good progress, but just not fast enough.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

marauder wrote:Um... No. People like me just starting out on our first game don't. I was doing good until I got to the mission with a 2 hour time limit and after battling for TWO HOURS failed because I ran out of time. If you have perfect strategy and know the ins and outs of this game I'm sure two hours is enough, but its frustrating to waste that much time just to lose with only 2 bases left to beat. People just starting out aren't going to know things like sensors/mortars and other game mechanics I wasn't aware of like recycling to save experience and an artificial time limit really takes the fun out of a game when youre making good progress, but just not fast enough.
I agree with you. I really do. I hate the time limit and I have never completed the campaign for this exact reason. However, the whole campaign is built around this idea. You cannot just rip it out. You'd have to rewrite the campaign to achieve that. I don't want to do that, not just because it would be a lot of work, but also because it would destroy a finished work of art. Let's hope that the next person who writes a campaign for Warzone (2120 or whatever) comes up with some better game mechanic.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

marauder wrote:Um... No. People like me just starting out on our first game don't. I was doing good until I got to the mission with a 2 hour time limit and after battling for TWO HOURS failed because I ran out of time.
Yeah, that mission is one of the ones where it's possible to run out of time.

I think it'd be an idea to cap max power, then lift most time limits.
Omikronman
Trained
Trained

Post by Omikronman »

I have never been able to win that first 2-hour-mission. I am not sure if a mission like that would become bad without a time limit. The researchable technologies are always limited, so I personally don´t worry that the player would become better than he should be in a mission.
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

To Zarel:
On the other hand a player could build tons of tanks, a lot of defences etc. This way we would have to make some more caps for the units, for the structures. And it would lead to the situation where players will start be angry about those limits.

To Per:
I agree with you.

To Marauder:
I see your point. In fact, i remember this mission and i also failed it when i played it first time years ago. But it was entertaining for me that the victory was not easy.

To All:
some propositions for the timer:
1. when a player chooses difficulty, the timer depends on it. Easy difficulty = more time, hard = less.
2. new campaign should be similar to other RTS games, every mission starts with new base. And a player has an ability to convert some experience or units between missions.

and:

the best one:
3. when the time has run out, the oil derrics stop working. No more power, but the mission does not end.