Config tool?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Config tool?

Post by ratarf »

I've just installed version 2.0.5, it looks very nice... I only got two remarks:
- the dialog for installing the c runtime is in german
- there is no tool for configuring the game. It would be nice to have just 1 small .exe with tabs, lists,... that allows the player to change all the options from the config file... Maybe also with a list to enable/disable mods etc... I guess there are external tools for this purpose, but it would be nice and clear to have one 100% compatible tool for warzone.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Re: Config tool?

Post by Terminator »

Download a crosscompiled wz ver. for this version no need to be installed C++ destributive.
What about tool, you can change settings from config file that located in windows "my documents" folder in your user account.

But may be you are right . We need to make settings easier.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

I didn't need to install the runtime... I just downloaded the windows install, it went smooth without any problems. Halfway a window in german popped up, asking me if I wanted to install the runtime. I decided to try without the runtime and cancelled. The game runs smooth now without the runtime... I was just kinda surpised by the german pop-up window, and suggested there are better ways to provide this runtime lib.
About the config file: I know that it's located in my documents and I can change the settings... But not all gamers do like this files... It's not a big issue, but a simple GUI tool that reads/writes to the config file saves effort from the end-user. It's also not that hard to code. Maybe I should start coding it myself  ;D

Just my 2 cents
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Probably I included the wrong redist into the installer. :( I guess I thought that it would be multilang, when it is not.
The rc2 wont need the runtime anymore anyway...
As for the config tool: Feel free to write one... Best would of course be if you'd use something which can be easily made crossplatform as C++ with Qt or C with GTK+ or similar. :)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

yes please - something maybe like what troman had - Warzone Starter...  could handle a whole load of different configs etc.

i have it in the warzone documents project - complete from first to last revision.  as documented as i could find whatever docs were for it.

documents project file is located here - registration and activation and login required... (due to spammers and others that want to ruin it all.)
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

DevUrandom wrote: As for the config tool: Feel free to write one... Best would of course be if you'd use something which can be easily made crossplatform as C++ with Qt or C with GTK+ or similar. :)
http://www.wxwidgets.org/
We want information... information... information.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

cybersphinx wrote: http://www.wxwidgets.org/
Or that if you think it's better than Qt or GTK... :)
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

DevUrandom wrote: Or that if you think it's better than Qt or GTK... :)
I don't know about QT, but contrary to GTK, it was developed to be cross-platform.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Qt4 is not only a crossplatfrom widget toolkit, but can handle networking and various other things, too. Easy to use, available under the GPL for Windows, Mac, Linux. See http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt or your favourite distro's packages. ;)
jeff_sadowski
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeff_sadowski »

Could it not be added to the main menu of the game? Isn't the rest of the game done in SDL?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

If you volunteer to write the GUI files...
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

DevUrandom wrote: Qt4 is not only a crossplatfrom widget toolkit, but can handle networking and various other things, too. Easy to use, available under the GPL for Windows, Mac, Linux. See http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt or your favourite distro's packages. ;)
I know what QT is. I don't know if it's better than wxwidgets - probably just different (unless you need some specific functionality only one offers).

And about the GUI... everyone who wanted to do something with that has kept quiet in anxiety of someone remembering, right?
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

It would be very nice to use the in-game menu for all this... But it would take a lot more work. Most of the options do not need to be changed very often, so there's not much benefit in an in-game menu.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

ratarf wrote: It would be very nice to use the in-game menu for all this... But it would take a lot more work. Most of the options do not need to be changed very often, so there's not much benefit in an in-game menu.
Like i said before... -> [iurl=http://wz2100.net/forum/index.php?topic=97.0]Drop Ingame Menu[/iurl]
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

doesn't really matter what we use... most of these things are cross platform compatible...

only real issue is speed: while the latest versions of gtk and qt give you a lot you can do, they all are too complex and very slow -- the complexity often leads to graphical artifacts if you scroll too fast, for example, since the rendering library can't handle a redraw that fast. then there's political at least between those two, as if you write one that uses gtk2, you're inevitably going to find someone who wants, for some unknown reason, a native kde version, and will ask that it gets built against kdelibs (which uses qt), or if you go with qt, someone will want a gnome-based version (which uses gtk2). on the other hand, most users of either gnome or kde don't even know what a .so file is used for, so this might actually not come up.

if you want something that's really fast and incomplex (you will spend less time trying to make it pretty and more time getting it done), you might check out fltk (was designed to be fast enough for 3d game programming when given opengl hooks).

if you're going with gtk, though, stick with gtk+, specifically, and don't go with gtk2, gtk2 is much slower and doesn't really offer anything of interest in this case, plus gtk2 is somewhat dependency heavy by comparison.