Let me c if I got it right

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Let me c if I got it right

Post by Tucalipe »

Let me see if I understood what u guys are doing to our beloved game:

1. Retexturing (at least the 1st campaign)
2. Shadowing
3. Removed the music
4. Removed the RPL support
5. Working on a new AI

If that's correct, then:
About the music, one could simply get the music from the original CD with WMPlayer and use the WPL with WZ ;D. About the retexturing, are you planning to retexture campaigns II and III and possibly units, structures and props? (I really do hope so). About the RPL videos, I assume you are working on a way to play simple AVI/MPEG videos then (for I have converted the RPL's for AVI, I just have to find them... :-[). Also, my memory is not good enough to remeber EVERY MISSION's objective, which I'm supposed to learn by watchin' RPL's...  :(. About the new AI, will it be teamwork-friendly? Like, if you need units or resources, you can ask the AI, and it asks you for support as well? And you can share researches? I saw somewhere (I don't remember where) a WZ build with mines and a double heavy cannon. Are you going to add that too (and possibly new weapons) or just stay with the old and full techtree? At last, I'm sure I'm not the only one still confused about the new Radar/Detector/Sensor system. If I got it right, there will be two types of detecting: Visual and Radar, whereas Visual detecting has always the same range (or possibly height affected) and Radar depends on the turret's radar system, and there will be ways to hide from both detections?

Other than that, retexturer to retexturer, you guys are doing an exceptionally great job!

PS.: Sorry for my first post ever here being such a humongous block of text, while I haven't even said who I am...
Last edited by Tucalipe on 09 Mar 2008, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Let me c if I got it right

Post by Buginator »

Tucalipe wrote: Let me see if I understood what u guys are doing to our beloved game:

1. Retexturing (at least the 1st campaign)
2. Shadowing
3. Removed the music
4. Removed the RPL support
5. Working on a new AI

If that's correct, then:
About the music, one could simply get the music from the original CD with WMPlayer and use the WPL with WZ ;D. About the retexturing, are you planning to retexture campaigns II and III and possibly units, structures and props? (I really do hope so). About the RPL videos, I assume you are working on a way to play simple AVI/MPEG videos then (for I have converted the RPL's for AVI, I just have to find them... :-[). Also, my memory is not good enough to remeber EVERY MISSION's objective, which I'm supposed to learn by watchin' RPL's...  :(. About the new AI, will it be teamwork-friendly? Like, if you need units or resources, you can ask the AI, and it asks you for support as well? And you can share researches? I saw somewhere (I don't remember where) a WZ build with mines and a double heavy cannon. Are you going to add that too (and possibly new weapons) or just stay with the old and full techtree? At last, I'm sure I'm not the only one still confused about the new Radar/Detector/Sensor system. If I got it right, there will be two types of detecting: Visual and Radar, whereas Visual detecting has always the same range (or possibly height affected) and Radar depends on the turret's radar system, and there will be ways to hide from both detections?

Other than that, retexturer to retexturer, you guys are doing an exceptionally great job!

PS.: Sorry for my first post ever here being such a humongous block of text, while I haven't even said who I am...
1) Nope.  Still original gfx, unless you are using a mod.  We need artists to help in this area.
There are some working on some things if you check the forums for their work.  However, we always need more manpower.

2) That has been done for a long time.
5) Yeah, that is in the works also.  Troman does some very good stuff with the AI.
3 & 4)
The music & FMV videos were *not* part of the package.  The RPL codec only worked on windows.
You can use music you rip/download though, either in game, or via winamp or whatever player.
And as for the FMVs, same thing really.  We do got working FMV support, but no FMVs to play.  We use the ogg/theora codec (since it is available on all platforms, and is 'free')
And yes, there is a converter for the original FMVs.  No, it hasn't been released, since nobody is sure about the legality of releasing such a converter to a GPL hosted project.  It is a bit of a gray area. ::)
Yes, it sucks that in most missions, you don't know what to do.  :'(
I asked for help for people to convert what is said on the FMVs to text, so we can display that for now, but nobody really wanted to help. :-X
Other thoughts were to throw up some static images, but nobody has yet to investigate how well that will work.

Tech tree is pretty much the same, except for balance tweaks.

There is mutliturret support, but it isn't 100% working AFAIK.

For the radar/Sensor , it is a work in progress, but I think basically we will have some jammers that can limit certain things, so you can 'hide' your units for like a ambush or something.  There is a thread about this someplace.

I think that covers everything.  :)
and it ends here.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Again with the music xDD we know how to put the original music, but we don't have the permission. You can use it if you have the original game, however.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

I'll answer #5 a bit more detailed.
Tucalipe wrote: About the new AI, will it be teamwork-friendly? Like, if you need units or resources, you can ask the AI, and it asks you for support as well?
Yes, it is teamwork-friendly already, that was one of the main goals.

You can't just ask AI to give you units or power for free, because not every human would do this in a multiplayer game (in some situation it does make sense though, but for now AIs just don't do that), but you can call AI to help you out if your base is in trouble.

You can ask a certain AI for help if you refer to this AI by its name (right now colors are used for names), if you don't refer to any AI all allies will react to your message.

Also when an AI is in trouble it will call for help too, other AIs will send units to help this AI if they are able to. Take a look at chat messages Aivolution can recognize.

Calling for help works with the stock AI too, so Aivolution and stock AI can help each other as well.
Tucalipe wrote:And you can share researches?
Yes, you share research and vision with allies.
Tucalipe wrote: I saw somewhere (I don't remember where) a WZ build with mines and a double heavy cannon. Are you going to add that too (and possibly new weapons) or just stay with the old and full techtree?
Currently we have no plans for this.
?topic=1617.0
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

But, like with the music, if I own the original game (not pirate versions or cracked or anything, which is my case), and you said that you got FMV support, shouldn't I be able to get the *.RPLs from the CD?
And I didn't know that there was (somewhere hidden in some company's server, distant from anyone's reach :D) a FMV converter... I converted via screen recorder (although the quality was the same as the escapeplay).
Do I have to get Aivolution's every file from the trunk? Can't I just get a *.wz?
Same for the new tileset I saw on the trunk... Is there a way to simply download all the files or I have to download one by one? (Or maybe I'm so stupid I don't even know how to work with the trunk :-[)
Last edited by Tucalipe on 09 Mar 2008, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Buginator wrote: I asked for help for people to convert what is said on the FMVs to text, so we can display that for now, but nobody really wanted to help. :-X
ALWAYS check the warzone document project. http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe2/cam1 ... rings.html

LAV_Coyote has done a great job but apparently, not everyone knows about it. It contains almost all written wz material ever released.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

yeah!  like, after how many years, like man, like woah....yuudathunkmaybe some one would like see what was there... but oh no... gotts to keep asking... ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

Hatsjoe wrote: ALWAYS check the warzone document project. http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe2/cam1 ... rings.html

LAV_Coyote has done a great job but apparently, not everyone knows about it. It contains almost all written wz material ever released.
Yeah, I saw that, but is there a way to simply play the FMV/RPL that I have on my CD?
And how about aivolution? Is there a *.wz to download, as well the new tileset I saw on the trunk?

PS.: LAV, you missed something in the Outro's script. At the end, Nexus laughs (as usual... He doesn't seem to do anythin else...)
(I feel so silly writing outro in english, 'cause in portuguese, outro (with the first o said like oo in cool) means "another")
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

you may have the FMV's but there is no way to play them (currently).  the way it stands right now... i think your going to have to ask the devs when(if) they are going to include that.

as for outro (english)  is ok... i do miss some things once in a while....
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Hatsjoe wrote: ALWAYS check the warzone document project. http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe2/cam1 ... rings.html
lav_coyote25 wrote: yeah!  like, after how many years, like man, like woah....yuudathunkmaybe some one would like see what was there... but oh no... gotts to keep asking... ;D
I keep asking if it isn't done, I thought that was the point of asking? ::)  ???
Let me refresh your memories: ?topic=1197.msg10765#msg10765
Tucalipe wrote: But, like with the music, if I own the original game (not pirate versions or cracked or anything, which is my case), and you said that you got FMV support, shouldn't I be able to get the *.RPLs from the CD?
And I didn't know that there was (somewhere hidden in some company's server, distant from anyone's reach :D) a FMV converter... I converted via screen recorder (although the quality was the same as the escapeplay).
Do I have to get Aivolution's every file from the trunk? Can't I just get a *.wz?
Same for the new tileset I saw on the trunk... Is there a way to simply download all the files or I have to download one by one? (Or maybe I'm so stupid I don't even know how to work with the trunk :-[)
Sure, you can get the .RPLs from the CD.  That isn't the problem.
I said that we do have FMV playback code.  It is sitting in the tracker.  It isn't in the codebase right now.  The converter isn't in the codebase, or the tracker for the reasons I mentioned.
That means, if you want to play with the FMV code (which ONLY supports ogg/theora, then you must patch the codebase yourself, and convert the FMVs to that format.

The trunk is more or less 'raw'.  Everything is unpacked, and when a release is made, it gets all packed up into .wz files.
and it ends here.
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

Buginator wrote: That means, if you want to play with the FMV code (which ONLY supports ogg/theora, then you must patch the codebase yourself, and convert the FMVs to that format.
Right.......... :o I make textures; that programming yada yada is like ???????? to me...  :-\. Therefore, I think I'll just leave for the poeple who actually knows what they are doing to "patch the codebase"... I can't even design a simple calculator in Phyton (believe me, I tried :))

So, I got that when the next beta comes out, everything on the trunk will be released with it. Right?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Tucalipe wrote: So, I got that when the next beta comes out, everything on the trunk will be released with it. Right?
2.1 has been split of from the trunk since a while. What will become 2.1 (and 2.1.1, ...) is accessible on the 2.1 branch.