Page 1 of 1

Why warzone dont get so succeful?

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 00:28
by Cpablo
I know warzone 20 years ago in psx. And it games rocks. It has his limit, and a basic sistem, but the idea to have a core army and a constant base, brings a lot a real campaing experience. It is a shame for me what the game dont be a succes or it dont was take as concept ot another game development so mass like agenof empire was...a true shame. Only panzer heneral take some of it i believe and too was abandoned. Both games are now being developed by the community.


So...why the market never takes open design complex strategy games? That is the question. 😕. Sorry by horrible english grammar.

You get the idea? Age of empire get a lot.od sequels and immitator, (empire earth, rise of nations...), why they forget complety games as warzone? What about the sequel? The campaigns ending clearly shows what dr reed survives...
It is a shame. It is better than command and conquer or age of empire...a true shame

Re: Why warzone dont get so succeful?

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 01:15
by William
(Removed)

Re: Why warzone dont get so succeful?

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 04:35
by Cpablo
Beyond that, ths game have a lot of cool concepts what a re very awesome for a rts. I never see many rts after it allowing design or campaign continuty in that level

Re: Why warzone dont get so succeful?

PostPosted: 13 May 2017, 21:33
by vexed
William has no clue what he is talking about. Feel free to ignore any of his posts. :annoyed:

For the record, Pumpkin's version of Warzone 2100 used DX 5/6.
Once the source was released, in order to make it crossplatform (Windows / linux / mac/ whatever) openGL was used instead of the proprietary tech (DX 5/6), which was later removed for obvious reasons.

As for Warzone 2100 not being "successful" that depends on what you mean.
We still get a ton of downloads, and the vast majority of those downloads are in it ONLY for the Campaign game, and skirmish.

The MP "community" isn't very friendly to so called "noobs" with people getting kicked out of games for being "noobs". So, it ends up being the same clique of players play against each other, instead of helping "noobs" become better...then they get bored, and disappear, and the community keeps shrinking.
That isn't to say that everyone does this, since there are some players that try to train these "noobs", but, there are just not enough of these kind of people to change things. :(

Re: Why warzone dont get so succeful?

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 05:39
by Lord_Kane
Cpablo wrote:Beyond that, ths game have a lot of cool concepts what a re very awesome for a rts. I never see many rts after it allowing design or campaign continuty in that level


There is the Earth 2150 Trilogy, but the game play is different and it does have similar continuity (except for Lost Souls)
Ironically when I discovered WZ last year I was looking for games that were like Earth 2150

Also William is a bit excitiable but I would follow Vexed's advice and not listen to william about anything. :P

Re: Why warzone dont get so succeful?

PostPosted: 20 May 2017, 19:57
by themac
Warzone don't get so successful because most players prefer to play it like Dullzone by removing important parts of the game and the gameplay itself.

@ Lord Kane: Similar games were Thandor, Earth 2150 and Machines by Acclaim.

Re: Why warzone dont get so succeful?

PostPosted: 21 May 2017, 03:37
by Lord_Kane
themac wrote:Warzone don't get so successful because most players prefer to play it like Dullzone by removing important parts of the game and the gameplay itself.

@ Lord Kane: Similar games were Thandor, Earth 2150 and Machines by Acclaim.


Thandor I never heard of,
Machines I used to own but lost my CD's when I moved.

Re: Why warzone dont get so succeful?

PostPosted: 27 May 2017, 07:18
by Cpablo
What is dullzone?

And thanks to show me ignorance. I didnt knew that games :lol2:

Re: Why warzone dont get so succeful?

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2017, 04:35
by William
vexed wrote:William has no clue what he is talking about. Feel free to ignore any of his posts. :annoyed:

For the record, Pumpkin's version of Warzone 2100 used DX 5/6.
Once the source was released, in order to make it crossplatform (Windows / linux / mac/ whatever) openGL was used instead of the proprietary tech (DX 5/6), which was later removed for obvious reasons.

As for Warzone 2100 not being "successful" that depends on what you mean.
We still get a ton of downloads, and the vast majority of those downloads are in it ONLY for the Campaign game, and skirmish.

The MP "community" isn't very friendly to so called "noobs" with people getting kicked out of games for being "noobs". So, it ends up being the same clique of players play against each other, instead of helping "noobs" become better...then they get bored, and disappear, and the community keeps shrinking.
That isn't to say that everyone does this, since there are some players that try to train these "noobs", but, there are just not enough of these kind of people to change things. :(

Yeah pros just don't like noobs their kinda jerks that way
basically My strategies aren't very good Either
That's why i became a mod maker for warzone 2100 in the first place
because i prefer making superweapons available and destroy my enemies
plus i think its boring playing it as just plain and i cant find any strategy guides around here either!

Re: Why warzone dont get so succeful?

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 20:11
by MIH-XTC
It’s because the stats and AI result in lame gameplay.

The default AI doesn’t know how to build a base, has random research, makes random units, attacks at random and basically just has random behavior overall and no concept of a strategy. The functionality of the default AI satisfies the minimal requirements – it knows how to build structures and produce units without giving errors but doesn’t have any concept of intelligent decision making. I’ve played games with Nexus in which after 20 minutes it did not even have a weapon yet meaning it wasn’t even capable of attacking or winning at all. I have the screenshot. It’s clear the AI is broken. That’s why the challenges are like 1v8 because that’s how many AI’s it takes to get a decent game.

Fixing the random behavior is only a matter of populating the research arrays and unit templates then sorting them in terms of importance but after 18 years nobody has fixed it. It’s a shockingly easy fix but you would have to have enough multiplayer experience to realize that.

The stats are also broken but are not as obvious. Given a set of game settings and a map, it’s quite easy for an intelligent gamer to figure out the best strategy which doesn’t have any counter strategy. WZ has the potential to be complex but at the moment it’s not, it’s just an illusion. Also because the gameplay is slow. The majority of the game the player is waiting on the game for things to progress. On some maps it can take up to 25 minutes before you even see your opponent. That’s considered boring for most people. In most RTS games an entire game can be played in 15 – 20 minutes.

Those thousands of downloads are coming from automated web crawlers – not humans. The real download number is probably more like 20 - 30 per month in which most people dismiss the game in the first 15 minutes of slow action. So realistically your monthly audience is probably more like 0 - 10 new players per month.

From UNIX command line you can download WZ with
wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/warzon ... t/download

Re: Why warzone dont get so succeful?

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 23:56
by JimmyJack
vexed wrote:The MP "community" isn't very friendly to so called "noobs" with people getting kicked out of games for being "noobs".


I think that is point number one. What to do about kicking noobs. You can't just take away ranking. Even without the rank you can spot a noob a mile away. This may add to the kicking you don't know that your playing with a noob till you get into a game and then it is a big let down. I think that all the map makers out there can help with this. Make some very unbalanced maps to give the advantage to the noob so much so that they just might win. 1 vs. 2, 1 vs. 3, 2 vs. 5 Number of oils, High ground, Tilt it all to the noob.

So don't kick them out put them in a game and kick his (or her) butt. This can be a fun way to play the game. But it will take a good mapper to do it right.