FPS-Boost with 4GB-enabler?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
montetank
Regular
Regular

FPS-Boost with 4GB-enabler?

Post by montetank »

It is more a technical question to the development team:

Is it possible, that WZ cant handle more than 2 GB? The reason for my question: I am in a "Fallout 3" Forum. We are using the 4-GB enabler, because the game cant handle more than 2 GB. No matter what system you have, the stuttering and the framedrops are drastic. With the 4 GB enabler its much better. So i had the idea to patch the WZ.exe and the result was a drastic FPS-Boost on max-settings (300% more) I tested with my old notebook some NTW-maps and i used the deity-cheat. I also changed in the Nvidia-Inspector the max prerendered frames to 8. My FPS without the 4GB-enabler were about 20 FPS with the 4 GB-enabler i have 60.
Does this really depend on this or is it pure imagination?
I dont know, if it is allowed to give a link, but it is not a commercial, because the 4GB-enabler is free. Would be nice, if somebody else tries it out. http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

To the admins: delete this topic, if i am wrong or if it is forbidden to link.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: FPS-Boost with 4GB-enabler?

Post by vexed »

Our game doesn't even come close to using 1GB, let alone more.
If you got a FPS boost, just from doing that, that would be odd, and something specific to the system in question. Just for fun, I tried it, and I get the same frame rates as I also have.

With VSYNC ON, should be capped at 60Hz, and with it off, it can be well above that, depends on your system.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

montetank wrote:I also changed in the Nvidia-Inspector the max prerendered frames to 8.
Whatever that does, it seems like the only thing in your post that could affect FPS. On the other hand, you never know what stupid stuff Windows or graphics drivers do behind your back...
We want information... information... information.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Wz It is 32 bit and the amount of memory being managed I really wouldn't have any concerns. I'm uncertain about this patch thing.

"With VSYNC ON, should be capped at 60Hz" - Keep this on, always. if you want more frames from a laptop because you got less than 60... it may take some reprogramming of the game (re-writting some of the code) which is on my to-do list. With this combo of C & C++ I have a little work ahead of me but will find out how some special tricks work...
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

vexed wrote:With VSYNC ON, should be capped at 60Hz, and with it off, it can be well above that, depends on your system.
Not all monitors run at 60 Hz. Just sayin'. I had a CRT monitor a while back that could display a 1280x1024 picture at 85 Hz. Everything was awesome.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Vsync does not limit the fps to 60. Vsync limits to the fps that matches perfectly to the monitor. On a 60 hz monitor vsync on will limit to 60 fps, 30 fps, 20 fps, 15 fps, 12 fps, 10 fps ... dependend on what your graphics hardware can deliver. On a 85 hz screen vsync on will give you 85 fps, 17 fps, 5 fps ... dependend on what your graphics hardware can deliver. :)
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

themac wrote:Vsync does not limit the fps to 60. Vsync limits to the fps that matches perfectly to the monitor. On a 60 hz monitor vsync on will limit to 60 fps, 30 fps, 20 fps, 15 fps, 12 fps, 10 fps ... dependend on what your graphics hardware can deliver. On a 85 hz screen vsync on will give you 85 fps, 17 fps, 5 fps ... dependend on what your graphics hardware can deliver. :)
:hmm: Yes and no.
FPS is the number of frames per second the software is processing, while Hz is the rate at which the hardware in the monitor is refreshing the display. They are two independent functions, and you will see a difference in animation quality with more FPS. There is a point where the human visual pathways become saturated, which is somewhere around 70-80fps. After that you can still perceive a difference in quality, but to borrow an economic term, you've hit the point of diminishing returns and it's a steep drop-off.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.