PSA: Linux mint got hacked, and a trojan was in their ISOs.

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

PSA: Linux mint got hacked, and a trojan was in their ISOs.

Post by vexed »

http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-mi ... 0719.shtml
Just a few moments ago, Clement Lefebvre, leader of the Linux Mint project, informs users of the popular, Ubuntu-based distribution that the servers where the Linux Mint website is hosted have been hacked to point the download links to specially crafted ISOs.

According to Mr. Lefebvre, it appears that a group of hackers created a modified Linux Mint ISO, which included a backdoor. Then, they hacked into the Linux Mint website and modified the download links to trick users into downloading the malicious ISO image.

"I’m sorry I have to come with bad news. We were exposed to an intrusion today. It was brief and it shouldn’t impact many people, but if it impacts you, it’s very important you read the information below," said Clement Lefebvre in the announcement.

It would appear that only the Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition has been compromised at the moment of writing this article, and those of you who downloaded these ISO images on February 20, 2016, need not install them on your computer, but delete them as soon as possible.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Re: PSA: Linux mint got hacked, and a trojan was in their I

Post by Doruletz »

vexed wrote:http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-mi ... 0719.shtml
Just a few moments ago, Clement Lefebvre, leader of the Linux Mint project, informs users of the popular, Ubuntu-based distribution that the servers where the Linux Mint website is hosted have been hacked to point the download links to specially crafted ISOs.

According to Mr. Lefebvre, it appears that a group of hackers created a modified Linux Mint ISO, which included a backdoor. Then, they hacked into the Linux Mint website and modified the download links to trick users into downloading the malicious ISO image.

"I’m sorry I have to come with bad news. We were exposed to an intrusion today. It was brief and it shouldn’t impact many people, but if it impacts you, it’s very important you read the information below," said Clement Lefebvre in the announcement.

It would appear that only the Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition has been compromised at the moment of writing this article, and those of you who downloaded these ISO images on February 20, 2016, need not install them on your computer, but delete them as soon as possible.
That’s the biggest load of crap, if I ever heard one.... Linux hacked??? Dude, that's a Microsoft special only.... :lol2:
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Doruletz wrote: That’s the biggest load of crap, if I ever heard one.... Linux hacked??? Dude, that's a Microsoft special only.... :lol2:
Did you bother to read the story?
It did happen.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Linux Mint isn't so Mint it would seem.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Just to clarify:
They didn't hack into a desktop machine running Linux Mint, they hacked into the file hosting service and modified the download.
As long as you have the real Linux Mint, you should be safe.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Jorzi wrote:As long as you have the real Linux Mint, you should be safe.
Arguable: https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
We want information... information... information.