Warzone 2100 pre-release demo versions

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
MrFlibble
New user

Warzone 2100 pre-release demo versions

Post by MrFlibble »

Greetings to all forum members.

While I haven't played Warzone 2100 extensively I am an admirer of the RTS genre, and I am also interested in video game development history. My friend Hallfiry maintains a collection of old video game magazine cover CDs, and has created an online catalogue which allows to browse the contents of the CDs and find specific items. Hallfiry's catalogue currently encompasses more than 3100 PC gaming related CDs, including those from his own collection and from other sources such as the Internet Archive.

With this tool, we were able to identify a relatively large number of Warzone 2100 demo versions. The earliest of them dates back to late October 1998. The retail version of the game, according to an Eidos Interactive press release, was released on March 29, 1999. Most demo versions are thus placed before the retail release.

Here's the full list of the versions that are identified:
  • [no version number] (21.10.1998) [with video] - possibly the earliest demo release
  • 1b (27.10.1998) [with video]
  • 1f (03.12.1998)
  • 1h (18.12.1998)
  • 1h (18.12.1998) [with video]
  • 1M (20.01.1999)
  • 1P (??.??.1999) [German language]
  • 1Q (17.02.1999) [German language]
  • 1R (18.03.1999)
  • 1.00.000 (23.04.1999)
All demo versions except v1.00.000 (which is the urban single-player demo with two scenarios and the save game option) feature the same tutorial and the desert scenario against the Scavengers. Some, but not all, have multiplayer capability. The German versions are fully translated with voice-overs.

I suppose that these demo releases have at least historical value. They certainly differ from the retail version (and from each other) in a number of ways, but this is probably more noticeable to those who are well familiar with the game.

If you're interested you can find more information and download links to these demo versions here:
http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 23#p392823

I hope this information is helpful to you guys!
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Warzone 2100 pre-release demo versions

Post by vexed »

Hmm, nice.
I will have to decompile some of those to check the maps, and see if they are any different.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
MrFlibble
New user

Post by MrFlibble »

That would be great!

May I ask you one thing? Is the desert map from the pre-release demo versions included in the retail campaign? I try to collect information about demo releases of games which have exclusive content, but I'm not sure if this is the case with Warzone 2100.

Another thing to note is that apparently many of the demo installers were renamed (either by the publishers or by third parties). For example, the very common demo versions 1M and 1.00.000 can be found under different names both online and on various cover CDs. However, the Internet Archive Wayback Machine has preserved the download page at the old Eidor Interactive website (link), which suggests that at their FTP the files were available under the names warzone2100multi_demo.exe and urbanwar2100.exe respectively. (The FTP contents were not preserved but the version numbers can be verified because another site archived these demos under their Eidos FTP filenames.)

At the same time, the version 1M installer which is found on the Eidos Demos Volume 3 CD is called multiWarzone2100.exe, similar to the later version 1R (found on Eidos Demos Volume 6).
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Well, no idea if they are in the campaign or not, I am thinking no, but, won't be able to tell for sure until I decompile the wdg's and check. (It is on my TODO list, so, it should get done before the end of the year. :stressed: )
I do know that some of them had the same map as the current "FastPlay" map though.

As for the names of them, yeah, I know some of them are the same, since, last time I saw a few and looked at them, they had the same contents, or trivial changes between them.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Screenshot from demo version 1998
Screenshot from demo version 1998
Screenshot.png (329.93 KiB) Viewed 13551 times
Ingame do note the effect for building it looks likie a dust cloud attempt
Ingame do note the effect for building it looks likie a dust cloud attempt
Screenshot-1.png (452.82 KiB) Viewed 13551 times
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

I love that little dust cloud!

The terrain textures look nice, too.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Well for what its worth its easier to play on then what we have now.
I will have a look at how they define the tiles and if they trim the edges.
Readme.txt
just the readme file for the original demo showing the shortcuts etc, just thought it interesting
(20.22 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Ah that's cool never knew that!
"Fast Find Mechanisms
--------------------
Factories, Research Facilities and Trucks all appear in the fast find bar
at the bottom of the screen. Left clicking any of the bottom icons moves
the 3D view to the obejct's position in the world. Left clicking again
returns the view to its original position.

Right clicking on a factory icon takes you to the location of the
factory's delivery point.
Right clicking a factory's delivery point in the 3D view takes you to
the location of the factory."

Cannot imagine playing online in 1998.. must've lagged loads
wz2102
Greenhorn

Post by wz2102 »

There is no big difference between v 1.0(/1.10) as I can see.
I'm wondering why the terrain edges are much better rendered as in the 2.3 verisons.
Also the developers should add the old sensor indirect fire. It hitted like never but it was much more realistic.
Not to forget that the accuracy research would have then an function if you add the old arty fire as an new Rocket/Howitzer weapon type. (SLOW ROCKET / ROCKET /..)
Southern Ronin
New user

Post by Southern Ronin »

I know there's one or two demos out there with maps that aren't in the campaign mode. In fact, if you were an avid platformer and PS1 gamer, then you probably saw the demo for Warzone 2100 that was included in Gex. I think it was Gex four or five. All I know is the title screen had you on a pirate ship and that the game also had an anime level. Anyway, I know the demo for that was different in some ways. The most notable being its map. It was a quick mission and I dont think it got past researching and building flamers.
Sibernethy
Greenhorn

Post by Sibernethy »

In the December 1998 demo, it is possible to modify the .txt files and gain access to hidden, functional content inside the Fastplay Demo. Here is a screenshot I took after playing around with the .vlo files:
Attachments
Me using the Assault Gun, Howitzer, and something called a Multi-Barrel Cannon.
Me using the Assault Gun, Howitzer, and something called a Multi-Barrel Cannon.
Warzone 2100 Beta Secret.png (357.32 KiB) Viewed 12794 times
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

Does the old debug mode work in the demo versions?
Sibernethy
Greenhorn

Post by Sibernethy »

E-102 Gamma wrote:Does the old debug mode work in the demo versions?
There is no debug mode in the demo versions but there are cheats in the beta campaign demo.
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

Hmm. Bummer.