Sync Issues - v3.1.2

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
MythXCO
New user

Sync Issues - v3.1.2

Post by MythXCO »

Ever since I upgraded my installation and my kids' installation to v3.1.2, we've been getting sync errors, and some cryptic mathematic message. "2+2=5?"

When this happens, we lose touch with each other, he's building stuff that my system doesn't see, and I destroy something that still exists on his.

We are both running Ubuntu 14.04, mine is 64-bit, his 32. We're both running the same version of Warzone (3.1.2) obtained from the same repository (playdeb). We don't play over the internet, often it's him and I against a couple nullbots just here on my home network.

Any suggestions?
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Sync Issues - v3.1.2

Post by NoQ »

Known (#4271), puzzled.
MythXCO
New user

Post by MythXCO »

NoQ wrote:Known (#4271), puzzled.
Thanks, problem seems common, is it working fine for anyone?
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Yes...I can't replicate this on my home systems, tried remote players, 6 players + bot, no bots... and I can't get it to go out of sync.

Try this, rename ~/.warzone2100-3.1 to something else on each machine.
(mv ~/.warzone2100-3.1 ~/.warzone2100-3.1_OLD)

Then run warzone again.
This resets everything in the configdir back to default, so fix your resolution, and all that good stuff.
See if that helps.
(If it does, then tar/zip up the old configdir, and attach it)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Our suspicion is that the desync problem is due to old cruft or mods.

If people could test as vexed outlined above, that would be extremely helpful in chasing this down.

Ideally, problems like this are found in the Release Candidate version, but it looks like it got very little testing in the field.
MythXCO
New user

Post by MythXCO »

I will try that in the morning. Don't know why I didn't think about it actually. I'll report back and let you know how it works.

Thanks
MythXCO
New user

Post by MythXCO »

I removed the .warzone folder's on each system and we completed our first game this morning since the upgrade.

Thanks for the help everyone.
ThunderBuns
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ThunderBuns »

Me and a friend are running clean installs of WZ2100 3.1.2 and we get desync errors every game now. It's getting very frustrating. He's on OS/x and I'm on windows 7
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

ThunderBuns wrote:Me and a friend are running clean installs of WZ2100 3.1.2 and we get desync errors every game now. It's getting very frustrating. He's on OS/x and I'm on windows 7
What do you mean by clean install ?
If you just uninstalled, and reinstalled, that isn't clean enough.
You need to delete (or rename) the old config dir, and then run WZ again to create a clean config dir, then you must set your settings again.

Also, if you can reproduce this, let us know how!
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
ThunderBuns
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ThunderBuns »

I installed Warzone without any previous installations on my computer. He deleted his config from 3.1.1 and we still go out of sync every game. Not sure how to reproduce it specifically since we go out of sync at different points in games, but ultimately it will OOS on us.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

ThunderBuns wrote:I installed Warzone without any previous installations on my computer. He deleted his config from 3.1.1 and we still go out of sync every game. Not sure how to reproduce it specifically since we go out of sync at different points in games, but ultimately it will OOS on us.
Well, drat. :stressed:
I can't replicate this, so any logs you have of the game, and desync logs, can you upload them to http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/4271 ? (Use forum username/password to login to trac).

Thanks!
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

I had it for the first time after about 8 games, modded map maps/4c-Village-1-01.wz

4 players, I'm on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE #0 r274401 other guys don't know.

A few mins into the game starting off at Tech1, 2 of the players dropped due to desync, me and Jogador were still fine after. Initially seemed like lag kicked in then they got De-synced.

will attach further details into the bug report..
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Tzeentch wrote: will attach further details into the bug report..
You are missing the desync*.txt logs.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

I'm going to look into this more today to assist in gathering conclusions from my own questions.. added files you requested
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Checking back over previous tickets with desync, to find commonalities or indicators to help with cause
Out of sync in the game takes place between Windows 7 (64bit) and WindowsXP SP3 (32bit). Using a clean build, with no mods, no add-ons, without maps, we de-synchronization. Repeat this experience and you also get a desync. It does not matter whether it is a virtual machine or a normal PC.
from -> http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/4083 matching this post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11261

I use 64 bit systems so perhaps I could run a virtual container with a 32 bit system, then again what difference could there be running a 32 bit application on either platform? :hmm: (Got windows 7 I can test with)

Not thought about any diffs between 32 and 64 bit systems. I've read http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/4271 and was funny, looks like I have to fix it. So desync may be possible for more than one possible cause: the game I played looked like someone was using modified code for the "setPrecisePower()" to be called. Other user experiences are different from this. It's proving difficult to find this but I'll see where I get. (stating the obvious again)