Move along...

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Move along...

Post by vexed »

Per wrote: I suppose another option is to queue up all revealed units until the end of the frame, and then fire off a single eventObjectSeen() with a list of revealed units.
Yeah... this is what I was thinking by doing AABB.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

vexed wrote:
Per wrote: I suppose another option is to queue up all revealed units until the end of the frame, and then fire off a single eventObjectSeen() with a list of revealed units.
Yeah... this is what I was thinking by doing AABB.
It is certainly an interesting idea. It occurs to me though that it might only addresses the less interesting half of the problem. The example I gave of a map reveal making 200 units being seen at once is incredibly rare. What is not rare, though, are attacks of huge groups of units, where only some of them are revealed in each logical frame. Let's say you attack with 40 units, and 2 are revealed each frame. Just a bounding box for those two units in the seen callback not going to give you a lot of useful information about that attack. What we might need in addition is a list of already seen units in that bounding box, I suppose.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I'm keeping thinking about it, but the only thing i figured out so far is that we're right now discussing a premature optimization.

I am not yet using eventObjectSeen in the AIs. Instead, all versions of NullBot are deity-cheating (always looping through all objects rather than visible objects, equivalent to always seeing everything). I'm not yet having a specific algorithm in mind to make it non-deity-cheating, even though it's a good thing to do. Once i come up with something, we would have a rough idea on how to improve performance. But right now we don't have a single use case for eventObjectSeen in AIs.

In fact, eventObjectSeen is less frequent than eventAttacked (until you build a satlink, and it might be the last time you trigger the event). I believe that probably having it completely unthrottled would not hurt perfromance. A list-based approach would be a good optimization for satlink case, if it is found to be a problem (needs testing).

Now, for campaign. In fact, for campaign, a completely different approach seems useful: the script subscribes to seeing a certain pre-defined set of objects (a label or a group, that is, ids of these objects are already known), and then receives a one-shot event when at least one of these objects is seen. This is rather close to how eventAreaLABEL works. We may think of eventSeenLABEL, where LABEL may be object, group, or maybe even terrain position or area. Or, alternatively, subscribe dynamically:

Code: Select all

function callback() { console("Enemy base detected!"); }
//...
subscribeForEventSeen(label, "callback");
subscribeForEventSeen(group, "callback");
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

How about something like this? See attached patch (it only compiles, haven't actually tested it).

It checks for 'triggered' as a key in labels other than positions. If it is non-zero, then it is deactivated. If it is zero, then it is active. A positive number records which unit did trigger it, but this is not exposed to scripts yet, and I'm not sure if it is useful for anything.

If an active group or object is seen, and viewer is owned by script 'me' or isReceivingAllEvents, then fire off either an eventObjectSeen(viewer, seen) or an eventGroupSeen(viewer, groupid). Then the triggered key is deactivated.

Not sure if the "viewer is owned by script 'me'" part makes any sense.

It would be trivial to add a way for scripts to (re)activate such labels or create new ones.
Attachments
eventseen1.diff
(6.31 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I don't really want to offtop, but you should exclude lags of graphics engine 1st ,imho. I-NoD's branch is improved by bucket renderer that allows you to render as many tris as your gpu could(in theory),afair. Then you could know the real impact on performance by path-finding and test your fixes. Sorry, if i'm wrong. :ninja:
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

MaNGusT wrote:I don't really want to offtop, but you should exclude lags of graphics engine 1st ,imho. I-NoD's branch is improved by bucket renderer that allows you to render as many tris as your gpu could(in theory),afair. Then you could know the real impact on performance by path-finding and test your fixes. Sorry, if i'm wrong. :ninja:
If you are talking about the original pic I posted, that has nothing to do with path finding. That is all a CPU bottleneck.

Which I-Nod branch are you talking about, I don't see anything in the WZ repo ?
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Are you sure it is a GPU bottleneck? In master?

From what I remember from my own testing, we are currently CPU-bound. Especially if you use shadows.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

vexed wrote:Which I-Nod branch are you talking about, I don't see anything in the WZ repo ?
Here, some discossions were started here. It was made for the updated WZM format that wasn't introduced into wz for reasons I don't know, but I think you could still use its bucket renderer for some performance tests.

edit:nvm, I've missed that a good job on optimizations was done, with the latest master the gpu-side is no longer a bottleneck of wz's performance.
Per, could precalculated MINMAX_TSCEN values stored in wzm models increase the performance even more? afair, it could, but only for a huge amount of tris on the screen, so it's not that important, we don't have very detailed models anyway.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Per wrote:Are you sure it is a GPU bottleneck? In master?

From what I remember from my own testing, we are currently CPU-bound. Especially if you use shadows.
D'oh, typo. CPU.