English learners club.

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
NoQ
Special
Special

English learners club.

Post by NoQ »

"A research topic walks into a bar. The bar stays at 0%."
- Kreuvf, on the description of #4241.
I'm looking for somebody to correct my bad grammar, because, as you all know, my English is very poor. I'm sure there are a lot of mistakes in my posts, and I'm also sure this forum is full of grammar policemen who are eager to point them out :hmm: So I guess I (and, a posteriori, probably somebody else as well, since I can't be unique) could use a thread to flood up with that sort of stuff :idea:

As non-native-speakers, we could probably help each other with improving our written English, and eventually reducing communication problems and bringing more understanding into the Warzone2100 community. I'm sure my commas are horrible. I'm sure there were a lot of funny moments when I was making a serious speech with a serious look and made funny typos along the way and everybody lol'd :stressed:

Anyway, not sure we can make any lulz out of it, but it might be fun to discuss each other's English and share what we know. Not sure where this gets us, but if you are also thinking along these lines, welcome to the club!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: English learners club.

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

I think your English is perfect. I've never noticed you making ANY grammar mistakes, at all. I thought you were Canadian, in fact. Canadians generally speak English better than many of us Americans, to be honest. :lol2:

You do a great job with English, NoQ. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Improving your language skills is an admirable goal, HOWEVER....

Warzone 2100 is an international community. Our forums are conducted in our planetary language, English. Obviously, people's abilities vary. Give them credit for making the effort and cut them some slack. We want to be welcoming, rather than looking for a way to drive people off.

If you want to gnaw on each other's grammar, keep it in this thread. Posts that do otherwise will be considered off-topic and stomped on hard.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

If you want to gnaw on each other's grammar, keep it in this thread.
Well, that was supposed to be the whole point ... :oops:

See how bad my English is? Nobody understands me :(
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

I believe Stiv was making sure that it was kept to this thread as a message to everyone else, NoQ, and not directed at you. :) No worries.
Sibernethy
Greenhorn

Post by Sibernethy »

I'm about as native as you'll fine English speakers. I am a dual-citizen of USA and UK. I'm also interested in learning foreign languages, Serbian currently being my best one. I'll help you with your English if you want.