(Re)Programming Warzone (Discussion)

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Re: Reinventing the wheel?

Post by bendib »

EDIT: Deleted, it was a bit harsh and couldn't be edited any better without losing the point.
Harshness was not the objective.
Also known as Subsentient.
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

Great links! I read and watched them!
I agree with Linus about a IDE! I hate them!
It would be interesting getting them in the same room would be a problem because Linus is a stubborn man!
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Well, at least we do have the Tanenbaum-Torvalds debate :hmm:
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

Thanks for the link! I will read as soon as possible!
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I like a simple IDE like Geany, nothing big and fancy. I just like having it autocomplete my own function names to save me typing, color coding ,etc. The built in terminal is nice too.

I agree with Linus when it comes to kernels, some drivers should always be inside the kernel binary. I like a hybridized kernel where disk drivers and basic keyboard and a few common network drivers are built right into the kernel image, and everything else is a module.
Also known as Subsentient.
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Re: (Re)Programming Warzone (Discussion)

Post by AWarZoner »

I just use Vim and GVim with a auto complete plugin!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

The Tanenbaum-Torvalds discussion was worth the time spent with it. Thanks for posting the link NoQ. Looks like between 1992 and 2006 Tanenbaum's position of greater security achieved through a microkernal strategy has born RW fruit. Also, there's no doubt these guys respect and even like each other. Somehow I don't see a Torvalds-Stroustrup discussion playing out with these results and it wouldn't even be concievable without a very effective, knowledgable, moderator that both regarded highly. The way Linus is on record about C++, I don't see Stroustrup being a fan of his.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Just a note / ramblings, while it is true that MS started C# for their .Net stuff, it is also true that pretty much all platforms have their own C# compilers now, since C# became a standard.

Flame being rewritten in C# (SharpFlame) is a big step forward in terms of keeping all the tools that WZ uses updated.
Hardly anyone could maintain the old Flame code besides the original author, and he did a darn good job compared to all previous versions of the map editor.

Now, about the other languages, they each have their own pluses and minuses, and there is a correct way to do things, and a darn ugly way of doing things (Look at Qt with that template crap (hell to debug), and not to mention needing MOC).

What I am getting at is, use whatever language you feel most comfortable in, but, there are still wrong ways of doing things in ANY language.

WZ has C++ code in it, as well as being written in C with a OO design for some things (like the GUI).
Is C++ a magic bullet for WZ ? Nope. Can it help in certain areas, absolutely. Is it faster than C, that depends on what the compiler is doing behind the scenes, and how the code is written.
In most cases, with most modern compilers, you would be hard pressed to find a significant speed advantage one way or the other.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

Rman Virgil wrote: Somehow I don't see a Torvalds-Stroustrup discussion playing out with these results and it wouldn't even be concievable without a very effective, knowledgable, moderator that both regarded highly. The way Linus is on record about C++, I don't see Stroustrup being a fan of his.
Brain W. Kernighan is also not a fan of C++! But Bjarne Stroustrup say's that they are very good friends!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

It's all in HOW you say your not a fan, or that you fundamentally disagree, that makes the difference in whether the outcome can be of mutual benefit or drive a poisioned wedge in between. Linus had valid points but some of his word choices were in the idiom of "scorched earth". A few years ago there was a discussion at SlashDot about the whole thing between Torvalds-Stroustrup that was civil, informed and richly detailed. It also got into how originators of movements are defacto leaders but how they may not possess the most effective leadership skills to match the originality and skills of thier creation and its consequent evolutionary movement. It's worth a gander. Its a classic discusion of value. Here's the link:

http://classic.slashdot.org/story/10/10/14/1947247
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

Interesting debate! Or should I say comments?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

AWarZoner wrote:Interesting debate! Or should I say comments?
It is both ! ;)

Comments that interact, specifically disputing the pros and cons of one an others contrary positions, is the very definition of a debate. :3