This is a rant laced with nostalgia.

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Re: This is a rant laced with nostalgia.

Post by bendib »

@Cyp: No, quicker recoveries for desyncs that occur. I have a new model in mind where players synchronize with each other and extract the most common droid position from all clients, and deal with that. For 2p, I was thinking synchronization with the host, but this model does have serious flaws, most notably exploitation of the host bit for 2p for cheats.
Also known as Subsentient.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

@Bendib: The best way to recover from a desynch is to use a known good state from a trusted player. Given that any other player than yourself might be trying to cheat, the only trusted player is yourself. So on desynch, the appropriate action is for each client to use its own state (i.e., just ignore the desynch, which is probably just a false positive anyway, due to someone incompetently trying to cheat, or having a messed up checkout). Ignoring the "desynch" has the advantage that even if the host tries to cheat, it doesn't mess up the game for the other players. And ignoring the "desynch" is also the easiest thing to code. In other words, the best defense against cheaters is laziness.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Thanks Cyp. I am new to networking code, so many of my ideas may not be very good. My specialty is file parsing. I am very good at writing mechanisms to parse complex config files, but networking is a weak point. I'm also pretty neat with bitwise operations.
All that being said, I can definitely work my way through the codebase. I managed to perform some significant advances on the C++ beta 11 codebase, and at that point, my knowledge of C/C++ was equivalent to JavaScript + pointers. Now that I actually know C, (the reason for my long hiatus from Legacy, I bought the K&R C book and studied.) I should be able to do much more.
Also known as Subsentient.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I agree that the major developments of warzone may have resulted in some small diamonds getting lost on the way.
Now what I hope for you is to find those diamonds, and to carefully identify and document them so that you don't lose them yourself once you start improving the code.
-gl, hf
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

bendib wrote:I decided to switch the Legacy codebase to 2.3.x not long ago
Happy to see that. Could you please post a link to your forum or website?