Join the Irrelevanti!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Join the Irrelevanti!

Post by bendib »

Who wants the old Off-topic forum back? Where we could post games and see who could post the word "derp" in the most languages? Heh? When we could freely create irrelevant game threads that brought joy making the community more enjoyable?
This is not only for the forums, but for IRC as well.

I'll help my movement. I call my new group "Irrelevanti", those who hate formality and just want some derp-infused bliss back in their lives! :^3

Who's with me?

Join me here.
Also known as Subsentient.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Irrelevance incarnate.

Post by NoQ »

Who wants the old Off-topic forum back?
I do believe a place for offtopic, or even a thread for completely topicless discussion, is an essential part of every forum :3
Your email and IP address will be publicly recorded on this server. You may be contacted with news regarding the Irrelevanti's goals.
Do not want :cry:
bendib
Regular
Regular

Re: Join the Irrelevanti!

Post by bendib »

An element of forced open-ness is required, I feel, for this movement to be effective. However, I have removed the requirement for an email address and removed the display of IP addresses and emails publicly.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

bendib wrote:........for this movement to be effective.
(I'll proceed as if this ecology is robust enough to hear a gadfly PoV and not degenerate into logical fallacies like Ad Hominems, general hysteria, or total lame-a$$ fiat dismissal.)

I empathize but even if you got 20,000 (or twice that number) to join the cause, I suspect nothing would change to elevate the fun of engaging to even the minimal past level.. There are, I believe, distinct reasons for that but I will only articulate a couple here tangenitally, for obvious reasons.

(Let me continue with part two of the conclusion and then succinctly work back to its foundation.)

The point, ultimately, is a viable alternative beyond just an alternate code base, or play version. That is, fleshed out with a different culture, a culture where among other dynamics, fun is part of the core evolution equation, as is individuality, as is unfabricated historical continuity, and all the foregoing respected and fostered, in word and deed, as they were valued for more than half the game's history, starting 1998. Admittidly, not a trivial undertaking when faced with an entrenched monopolistic oligarchy.

Let's look at just one telling example - the game's dl statistics. Impressive. But those numbers have not translated into breakthrough, excited, gang-buster, participation numbers here. Not even a scintilla indicator of that. Why is that ? Part of the answer is in this topic. Another is in the tenor of the "power" discussions of several months back - and other dynamics I'll not get into here. They all dovetail into an evident pattern.

So in regards to any of these mitigating conditions, it is extremely unlikely anyone can precipitate much more than a rare, fleeting, iota of fun in the realm of social dynamics when the ecology is otherwise rooted in depersonalization, among other aberrant notions.

Elephants can only use their ears to fly in toons otherwise it's strictly temperature regulation and swatting pesky gnats. A tone deaf person's options for mastery are vast but carrying a tune ain't one 'em.

The Peter Principle laid out the nub of it decades ago. (Formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in 1969.)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Rman Virgil wrote:.
The point, ultimately, is a viable alternative beyond just an alternate code base, or play version. That is, fleshed out with a different culture, a culture where among other dynamics, fun is part of the core evolution equation, as is individuality, as is unfabricated historical continuity, and all the foregoing respected and fostered, in word and deed, as they were valued for more than half the game's history, starting 1998.
That kind of community is precisely what I am attempting to foster with Warzone 2100 Legacy. Our only solid requirement is ethics.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Hope lives afterall. :3

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

bendib wrote: That kind of community is precisely what I am attempting to foster with Warzone 2100 Legacy. Our only solid requirement is ethics.
:lol2: ethics :lol2:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Tomas Paul and Linda Elder of the "Foundation for Critical Thinking" define ethics as "a set of concepts and principles that guide us in determining what behavior helps or harms sentient creatures".

In the context of a game community web site this would fall under specific stated policy and terms of aggreement for membership and participation. Pretty straightfoward. I wouldn't take it for a Chris Rock stand-up routine even after a six pack of Pilsners. :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Originway wrote: :lol2: ethics :lol2:
:doh: :shakehead:

Figures you'd laugh at it. I'm sick of your little pop-ins to demonize me.

Let's not get into this again. Last time I got whacked by the ban hammer for fighting your revolting perspective, this time, I'll settle it myself. If you despise my projects, don't touch them. If you despise me, DON'T SPEAK TO ME.

I have a saying, "don't drink from your enemy's glass", it means don't be like your enemy. If you truly believe me to be unethical despite all the evidence to the contrary, then do the ethical thing and leave me alone, stop posting defamatory crap in my threads, and quit trying to torpedo projects and movements that are only working for a better warzone.

I'll certainly have no objections. If you think I enjoy these little spats, you are greatly mistaken. I hate them. I hate them a lot.

If you want to waste your life worshipping a select group and stomping out any other voice, try to get a job in the North Korean government. Otherwise, you keep your fascist, lying, suspicious, unethical nature to yourself. You don't see me going into random threads about 3.1 and stating they suck every two seconds, do you? So why do you feel it necessary to attack my project?
Last edited by bendib on 07 Jan 2013, 05:16, edited 16 times in total.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Rman Virgil wrote:.

Tomas Paul and Linda Elder of the "Foundation for Critical Thinking" define ethics as "a set of concepts and principles that guide us in determining what behavior helps or harms sentient creatures".

In the context of a game community web site this would fall under specific stated policy and terms of aggreement for membership and participation. Pretty straightfoward. I wouldn't take it for a Chris Rock stand-up routine even after a six pack of Pilsners. :)
Yes, quite elementary indeed.This is why I get foaming at the mouth when someone can't follow them.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

bendib, let the fanboys yap to their hearts' content - it's all they can do. Ignore them and they wander off somethere else, hopefully far far away.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

bendib wrote:
Originway wrote: :lol2: ethics :lol2:
:doh: :shakehead:

Figures you'd laugh at it. I'm sick of your little pop-ins to demonize me.
I only laugh since you don't have any as can be seen on IRC, hidden away from forum readers.
If you want to waste your life worshipping a select group and stomping out any other voice, try to get a job in the North Korean government. Otherwise, you keep your fascist, lying, suspicious, unethical nature to yourself. You don't see me going into random threads about 3.1 and stating they suck every two seconds, do you? So why do you feel it necessary to attack my project?
I don't worship anyone.
lol :lol2: if you trash 3.1 on IRC every chance you get then you claim you have ethics and you don't attack anything.
BS.
your just mad since I call you on your deceitful self.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

If I needed convincing that off topic forums were a bad idea, I only had to look at this thread.

Stop going at each other, both of you.

Locked.