Absolutely cannot play 2.2 beta 2 online

Warzone 2.2.x series. (Unsupported--read only !)
3drts
Trained
Trained

Absolutely cannot play 2.2 beta 2 online

Post by 3drts »

I am at a loss as to what to do....
I cannot see any games hosted on beta2.
the message in the lobby for portforward.com is of no use - I click on the router I have, it directs me to buy their overpriced software.

I go to "canyouseeme.org" for ports 9990, 9997, and 2100 it just says it can't see me because the connection timed out.

I have tried many things with my internal firewal settings, and router settings, to no avail.

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem?
napzero
Greenhorn

Re: Absolutely cannot play 2.2 beta 2 online

Post by napzero »

1) There may not be any games hosted at the moment
2) You dont need special software to config a router(maybe as a convenience)- see below.
3) If canyouseeme.org cant see your ports, its a good indication that they aren't open.

If your router has UPnP, this free utility can help make port forwarding much easier.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/upnp-portmapper/

Not a recommended practice, but you might try disabling your computer's firewall temporarily until you are sure you have your router set up.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

#1) yes, games were being hosted

#2) I've logged into my router and set the ports to forward. The only thing changing firewall settings has done (to forward ports 2100 and 9990), is change "connection timed out" to "connection refused" when I go to can you see me . org.

#3) I'm on a mac, and my router does have UPnP

As to my computers firewall settings - Leopard changed the firewall (gay, Tiger OS was better), I either have ot use a very basic graphical thing, or do it by terminal.

Using the following commands:

sudo ipfw add allow tcp from 2100 to 2100
sudo ipfw add allow tcp from 9990 to 9990
sudo ipfw add allow tcp from any 9990 to any 9990
sudo ipfw add allow tcp from any 2100 to any 2100

Resulted in this:

sudo ipfw list
00100 allow tcp from any 2100 to any dst-port 2100
00200 allow tcp from 0.0.8.52 to 0.0.8.52
00300 allow tcp from 0.0.39.6 to 0.0.39.6
00400 allow tcp from any 9990 to any dst-port 9990
65535 allow ip from any to any

My computer shouldn't be blocking it, and my firewall should be forwarding the ports, but nothing f*king happens, and its starting to piss me off.
napzero
Greenhorn

Post by napzero »

Turns out we are in the same boat. I'm also running a Mac with Leopard, and I have set up port forwarding just to try it, and while im not sure there are any games out there, i don't see any in the lobby. :rolleyes:
Never bothered to play with the firewall from terminal, because I never had a problem with it. Dont really like canyouseeme.org. Personally i think Shields Up! at https://www.grc.com is more useful. It tells you if the port is stealth'd or closed or open. I tried it like this. With UPnP forwarding port 9990, with full Leopard firewall, the port was Stealth. With Leopard's fw at 'allow all' it was closed. This was regardless of whether or not WZ was running.

BTW I use this for port forwarding on my Mac :) http://www.codingmonkeys.de/portmap/
napzero
Greenhorn

Post by napzero »

Update. Well, playing around with various settings, it seems that the culprit to Leopard's fw is Stealth Mode. Checking my firewall log while scanning from grc.com and canyouseeme, the Stealth Mode always blocks those scans. Turning it off (with either 'allow all' or 'set access for specific...'), will result in a Closed or Refused, respectively. It seems then that the next place to look is the game itself as the problem.

You want to try diagnosing with a direct IP game later today? I'm up til 1am.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Sure, I don't know what time zone you are in...
I am in California - US pacific time zone - this post was made at 17:56
I'll be in the lobby as _3dRTS for quite a while
napzero
Greenhorn

Post by napzero »

I'm in Chicago, so Central time.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Host a game. (make sure 9990 is open)
Server will connect and give the MOTD.
Now, for beta 2 and up, it (lobby server) will do a vitality check on port 2100.
If that fails, then it can't host your game.

While you are still hosting (and assuming you don't have the PauseOnFocusLoss=1 (enabled, ie, it should be 0), now goto canyouseeme.org, and try port 2100.
If it can't find you, then it isn't open.

The next release for 2.2 will have slightly more informative responses to make sure if the lobby server can see you or not.

I know 2.2b2 works on the mac, since we have another Mac user that has played MP games.

oh, and about portforward.com, I dunno what your looking at, but this is a example:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... e_2100.htm

AFAIK, everything is free, unless you click on the ads instead...
and it ends here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Buginator wrote:While you are still hosting (and assuming you don't have the PauseOnFocusLoss=1 (enabled, ie, it should be 0), now goto canyouseeme.org, and try port 2100.
If it can't find you, then it isn't open.
Psst. He's trying to join games, not host games. He doesn't need any outgoing ports to join games. canyouseeme.org only tests outgoing ports. I don't know of any way to test incoming ports, nor how/why anyone would block them off.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

I see what happened with portforward.com... yes... somehow I got sucked off into an ad- didn't notice the "skip this advertisement" in the upper right corner.

I'll try that stuff tomorrow...
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Tried everything port forward told me to do, no success.
Still can't host on 2.1.3 either... but I'm ok with that.
Looks like I may be left out of 2.2.
Don't know when that will be, but maybe I'll be too deep in studies in Switzerland to care....
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

3drts wrote:Tried everything port forward told me to do, no success.
Still can't host on 2.1.3 either... but I'm ok with that.
Looks like I may be left out of 2.2.
Don't know when that will be, but maybe I'll be too deep in studies in Switzerland to care....
Try again with 2.2 RC. It should be out by very soon.
and it ends here.