the LAST release version playable on old computers...

Warzone 2.2.x series. (Unsupported--read only !)
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

the LAST release version playable on old computers...

Post by alienkid10 »

Why is that? What will make this so, what changes between 2.2 and 2.3? Will 2.2 and 2.3 be compatible to play each other? If you add new features to 2.3 will you mod/add them to 2.2? Lots of questions I know, but it doesn't make sense to me to do that.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Re: the LAST release version playable on old computers...

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm gonna guess that this is due to the new Renderer by Gerard and the amazing New Terrain Texturing
it allows.

You can SEE and read for yourself here -

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2379

And here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2383

regards, whipper.
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

2.2 will be a long-term maintenance release, which means most new fixes will be backported to 2.2.

It's currently compatible with 2.3, but I don't know if that will still be the case once 2.3 is released.
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

I don't like the sound of this. No more Warzone for my crappy computer...? :(
Bring back...ducks!
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

BlueMaxima wrote:I don't like the sound of this. No more Warzone for my crappy computer...? :(
What do you suggest we do?

1) we have very little man power.
2) having two different rendering engines is a heck of allot of work to maintain. (see above point)
3) the video cards I mention are almost 7 years old!
4) this is also the reason why 2.2 will be the last version that (should be) playable on old computers.
and it ends here.
ThomasCarstein
Trained
Trained

Post by ThomasCarstein »

I just read this part... And spent a few moments over the nice memories from 10 years ago, when I first started to play this game. :gonk:

Well, I'm sad to see it end with 2.2, but looking at the nice terrain pictures and textures I'm sure that this is the way to go; it's game evolution after all - upgrade and evolve or be consigned to history and forgotten. Anyway, i hope that you guys will really maintain the 2.2 version with backported upgrades etc., since it's also a good idea to have an "old" version for all the people who don't have or never will have shiny quad machines or prefer to keep their old computers untill they brake down (myself included ;) ).

Good luck with the release & maintenance! Bye, T.
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

Post by alienkid10 »

That's the thing I don't like about nowadays it's always, "eye candy! Eye candy! iCandy!" Or "graphics make the game!" Now I am not saying I am old but I like old school games like from the 1990s(C&C1, some old starwars games), because then it was about game play not graphics which people nowadays go, "if it looks cool buy it! Who cares if it doesn't work/gameplay sucks." I mean I am not saying text based games are all that fun but if it's got a good story then sure. Graphics can be mod autoloaded if selected if not selected then stick with the old ones.(if it's the graphics engine that is going to kill then I don't know if you can mod that in or not)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

alienkid10 wrote:That's the thing I don't like about nowadays it's always, "eye candy! Eye candy! iCandy!" Or "graphics make the game!" Now I am not saying I am old but I like old school games like from the 1990s(C&C1, some old starwars games), because then it was about game play not graphics which people nowadays go, "if it looks cool buy it! Who cares if it doesn't work/gameplay sucks." I mean I am not saying text based games are all that fun but if it's got a good story then sure. Graphics can be mod autoloaded if selected if not selected then stick with the old ones.(if it's the graphics engine that is going to kill then I don't know if you can mod that in or not)
Nope, not possible to make a mod, the engine has changed.

See what I wrote above. Point #2

As for the eye candy part, I agree to a point. I don't think it is asking that much to have a minimum requirement of a 7 year old gfx card.
If we want to attract more people/devs to this project, then we need better eye candy.
If we get more devs, then perhaps we could have two different rendering engines.
and it ends here.
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

Post by alienkid10 »

WAIT a minute here! Are you saying it WOULD work on my crappy Intel integrated card then? Or my brothers 5 year old crappy Intel integrated card? So it WOULD work on 7 year old cards?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

alienkid10 wrote:WAIT a minute here! Are you saying it WOULD work on my crappy Intel integrated card then? Or my brothers 5 year old crappy Intel integrated card? So it WOULD work on 7 year old cards?
Well, I mean, it lags a bit on my Intel GMA X3100, which is only about half a year old, so it might have trouble...

Download a trunk build and try it -> http://guide.wz2100.net/files/builds/
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

alienkid10 wrote:WAIT a minute here! Are you saying it WOULD work on my crappy Intel integrated card then? Or my brothers 5 year old crappy Intel integrated card? So it WOULD work on 7 year old cards?
The bottom line is, I can't tell you exactly which cards will work, or which don't, since I don't have anything but a Nvida & a AMD/ATI card to test.

All I know is, that lots of crappy intel (or S3, or Via) integrated stuff is *horrible*, and have *terrible* drivers, and isn't worth the silicon they put it on.

The latest integrated stuff from AMD/ATI or Nvidia is pretty good though. Intel is *supposed* to be getting better, but that don't help you if they don't fix their bloody drivers!
and it ends here.
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

Post by alienkid10 »

OK thanks. :( Have to try and find the PCIe slot that is supposed to be in my computer(thanks IRC) and get a Nvidia card then. :-S :(
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

trunk version is great! it works great on my notebook (1,5 year old so no problem here)

one question comes to my mind, how can i transfer saved games between various versions of warzone?
id love to play campaign
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

guciomir wrote:trunk version is great! it works great on my notebook (1,5 year old so no problem here)

one question comes to my mind, how can i transfer saved games between various versions of warzone?
id love to play campaign
Just copy over the savegamename .es & .gam file(s), and the savegamename directory (and everything in it) to your new savegame folder.
and it ends here.
Raem_Lylar
Trained
Trained

Post by Raem_Lylar »

My chipset is: intel-82915G/GV/910GL

It will not work in trunk... and i don't know how to install cards. (i don't see any slots on the outside)
Main: Arithyce