Warzone 2100 Redemption

Warzone 1.x series. (Aka retail version) (Unsupported!)
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Warzone 2100 Redemption

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

This is the name of the fork I will be working on. As the original engine was named deliverence, the updated engine (at a much later date) will be called redemption. Beyond that not much I can say.

Things I would like to see happen
  • Skinnable Gui
  • Reworked AI script system
  • Working under directx 9
  • Deformable terrain
  • Better physics
  • Better Pathfinding
  • Maximum map sizes doubled (at least)
  • Linux/OSX port (with selectable opengl/directx rendering under windows)
Big list, and hopefully I can get at least one of those items working. Code snippets and patches welcome, though don't take too much of your time away from this project (once I get it up on sourceforge anyway).

BTW: any suggestions for a cross-platform sound library or networking library? And last question, need someone to point me to anything that will create, convert, or work with the original PIE format and maybe the PIE2 format. Until such time as I can get the renderer improved enough to work with the latest pie or some entirely new format.

Oh, and before I forget. Why png over tga or some other image format and do you use dds compression?
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Warzone 2100 Redemption

Post by i-NoD »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:BTW: any suggestions for a cross-platform sound library or networking library?
OpenAL seems to be a fine solution for cross-platform sound even for current wz, just "borrow" the code maybe?
Lord Apocalypse wrote:And last question, need someone to point me to anything that will create, convert, or work with the original PIE format and maybe the PIE2 format. Until such time as I can get the renderer improved enough to work with the latest pie or some entirely new format.
Check here: some gui tools like 3ds2pie, qwzm and cmd line tools in conversion should work with original PIEs with some tweaks. And there is qwzm successor - WMIT, but not sure about if original PIEs are loadable.
Lord Apocalypse wrote:Oh, and before I forget. Why png over tga or some other image format and do you use dds compression?
Guess because its a ubiquitous free lossless format and DDS is not?
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Update on this. Finished with PSX code removal and nearly all Demo related code. No binary yet and I have not started migrating to DX9 or linux/mac. Will probably start on the linux/mac migration after I get the code running with DX9.

Once the final bits of the Demo code are removed I think I will try and find some sections to convert to C++ and mark them.. or just start the DX9 migration. Haven't really decided yet.. I know I should probably work on getting all the textures updated to 32bit first though...
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

As an aside from the more techie parts, why increase the max map size? There are real limitations to speed and numbers in WZ that would make very large maps tedious to play. Even SupCom with its huge number of units and their relative speed plays on quite small maps.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

A larger map changes the game dynamic and the strategies you have to use. Also allows for more players. I don't know if I will change the MP limit from 8 for now but I have been toying with the idea of going as high as 16 though it would require moving from a client/client experience to a client/server relationship. Which could also be used with a lobby server.. though that I have not really worked up anything on as of yet.

For tracks and half tracks it does take awhile to travel from one side of the map to the other but you still have VTOL and hover to zip around with. Also, numbers will not be a problem (eventually). Just think of what kind of platform this game was originally written for. I see no reason why we can't have high quality models on HUGE maps with some high quality terrain. Just look at SupCom and the level of detail put into the units and structures when zoomed in all the way.

Eventually if I can get some art help I would like to have the scav infantry turned into a fully functional bone mesh so they don't look so funny. So on close ups you will see some nice detail but as you back the camera off the detail slowly goes away. So, need all models LODed for one.. A lot of work but I enjoy the challenge and maybe some day I can get the worst of the coding done and end up sharing the more useful (and easily ported over to mac/linux) into this project. For the moment I am trying to do it all myself and not borrow from this project. May make things more difficult for me but I am looking to create a unique WZ experience. At the moment its still plain old 1.10 just minus the demo and psx code, though I have noticed that the retail 1.10 and source release 1.10 are not in fact the same as for starters it takes a bit longer to kill the scav infantry in the first cam mission. Still not sure why that is... seems to be a code issue as I have run both retail and source binaries using the same data and get different results.

https://github.com/pheonixstorm
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wzredemption/
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

I am not sure what this thread is about, but
Eventually if I can get some art help I would like to have the scav infantry turned into a fully functional bone mesh so they don't look so funny.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5136&start=1080#p96880
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Are we keeping .wdg format for this one, Apoc? I'm asking only because of the old tools and stuff. :P
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

wdg? No. I will be switching from wdg over to a mpg style clone I found. Or at least I will be designing something based off of it. I do want to try and keep the data formatting as close as possible so that if someone makes a mod for one it will only take a few seconds to switch between wz and whatever label I give my format. I will probably write a nice Qt app to convert between the two.

@Giani
This thread is about my fork of the retail 1.10 source code ;) I am starting from scratch rather than building on this projects work. Its more work, but it will be all mine warts, scars, broken limbs and all.

*EDIT* MPQ not mpg
Last edited by Lord Apocalypse on 26 Jul 2012, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

Lord Apocalypse wrote: @Giani
This thread is about my fork of the retail 1.10 source code ;) I am starting from scratch rather than building on this projects work. Its more work, but it will be all mine warts, scars, broken limbs and all.
That's why I didn't know what it is about, because it is with coding :P
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Lord Apocalypse wrote:...though I have noticed that the retail 1.10 and source release 1.10 are not in fact the same as for starters it takes a bit longer to kill the scav infantry in the first cam mission. Still not sure why that is... seems to be a code issue as I have run both retail and source binaries using the same data and get different results.
This bug I think has been fixed. Seems one of the arrays was not long enough and corrupting the stack for weaponEffect. At least it appears to be fixed.. scav infantry seem to die at the same rate in retail and compiled versions now.

Turning back to...
Are we keeping .wdg format for this one, Apoc? I'm asking only because of the old tools and stuff.
The answer is correct thought the format should ready mpq not mpg. As for tools.. There will be a full set of tools to create the new format or convert from wdg over to the new format (to be named).

I've been working on a flow chart for the new menu and should be ready to start changing over the menu code soon. It will get a nice move to its own files and have a folder section in the VC solution rather than just being all jumbled together with everything else. A lot of the code will slowly get refactored and reorganized like this I think though i'm not 100% sure on this yet. Its a lot of files to go over and I have already found a few that are no longer used but were never deleted.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

New update:

Created 2 new difficulty levels. At the moment they are not selectable in the main game menu. Need to find how to add them w/o crashing the game... Enabled god mode and a few others that were not there before. Also organized keybind.c to make it easier to find cheats, std keymap commands, debug commands, and stuff that doesn't really seem to go anywhere else or was commented out at some point.

Next up will be the new config settings. To get it up and running quickly it will be a simple struct with a binary file. This is the easiest to do as it requires no parsing and no addition coding other than struct configmap and fopen(settings.cfg) rather than parsing text. Well.. maybe a little more than the above, but still far quicker than parsing each line and storing everything in a map<string, string>.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Mouse wheel now working for map zoom. Getting sidetracked from the config file.. looking for the camera height and changing the zoom distance code...
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

So this is where your project is hidden. Don't you have an exe yet?
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Not uploaded. Need to build up an installer first, but if you have VC10 and the retail cds its easy to compile and copy the exe over to the wz folder.

So far the only catch is that under win7 (at least for me) the new binary doesn't play well with the registry so when the game start you have to use the console command to switch to normal difficulty if that is what you want.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Looked into the wreck lifetime define in feature.h but it doesn't do anything :( Even setting it for 60 seconds showed no visible result.

Looking into the rest of my notes to see what else I can toy with. Keep getting sidetracked from my primary project of replacing the registry config with a file replacement. Oh well, not in any real hurry I guess :)