Is anyone developing a 1.x fork?

Warzone 1.x series. (Aka retail version) (Unsupported!)
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Is anyone developing a 1.x fork?

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Just curious.

Or is anyone playing with the original 1.10 source code?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Is anyone developing a 1.x fork?

Post by lav_coyote25 »

:dontknow:
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

I do Still the best for long hard play...
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Member Seismo is doing a fork based on Chojun's re-worked code base of v.1.10 (focused on a new framework for starters... Chojun's work on v.1.10 was also the basis for the defunct WZ 2200 project of a few years back now).

SEE: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7269&p=75937#p75937

- Regards, Rman. 8)
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Know where I can find a download of that? I still like playing with the code from time to time and any forks or updates always adds a bit of flavor with all the diffs.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Know where I can find a download of that? I still like playing with the code from time to time and any forks or updates always adds a bit of flavor with all the diffs.
Never has been a public distro.

Chojun's version is well worth getting into - code base & playing the binary with Grim's art assets (Elric's brother). Chojun's modus operandi / dev strategy is, IMHO, very robust. He's also been a working pro for some years now so he has brought that to the table along with his deep & long standing love of the game. (BTW -We finally met face to face a few years back when I was in Utah for 6 months upgrading the Telco Qwest's infrastructure. Good man.)

PM Chojun, is my advice for his work.

Seismo has been working off Chojun's code for sometime now but I donot have any first hand experience with his work. You can try PMing him as well but my guess would be that he may not be ready to share what he's done yet - but I could certainly be wrong on that score.

- Regards, Rman. :)
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

For what it is worth, Chojun said it might be possible for him to release his source before the end of the year.
Seismo's code is(was?) using C#, and there is no way to get the code at this time.
You can try some :beg: if you want... :wink: nothing to lose except time. :3
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Following a C# codebase would be interesting especially to get into XNA and at some point release for the XBox 360 (gee, from a PS1 to a 360) but I dont know C# and I don't think I want to learn. Will need to find time to PM Chojun though.. eventually.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Following a C# codebase would be interesting especially to get into XNA and at some point release for the XBox 360 (gee, from a PS1 to a 360) but I dont know C# and I don't think I want to learn. Will need to find time to PM Chojun though.. eventually.
That isn't possible, it will never see the light of day on xbox 360... It would violate the license AFAIK.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

what license? WZ may be open source but the lic for WZ would not require anything xbox related to be open source as per one of those exceptions. If im reading you right. Worth at least looking into I think.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:what license? WZ may be open source but the lic for WZ would not require anything xbox related to be open source as per one of those exceptions. If im reading you right. Worth at least looking into I think.
go ahead...look into it. we already been there done that, but don't let us stop you from wasting your time... :rofl2:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

As far as I've understood, the problem isn't that warzone would require xbox stuff to be open source, but that xbox would require warzone to be closed source (or at least not gpl)

As a matter of fact I am developing a game in XNA using C# myself (school project) and I've understood that you can play your own game on the xbox, but distributing it is illegal unless you pay the licensing/registration fees required by microsoft.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Its actually you have to join the creators club for $99 (forget if thats yearly or not)

From what i've read so far there is nothing about about the gpl, though it looks more like to get it on the xbox you would have to charge for it which isn't against the gpl, if you were real dill hole you could even charge people for the source code. Ah the joys of open source GPLed software.

So, what was the reason WZ could not go on the xbox? Short version
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Maybe it can, but someone still needs to convert the code to c# (edit: .NET seems to support c++ too), the interface to xna and the graphics library to directx, as well as paying the fee. Also, a direct conversion means the c code loses its speed, since it's converted to CIL running on a virtual machine, making the program less efficient.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

Jorzi wrote:Maybe it can, but someone still needs to convert the code to c# (edit: .NET seems to support c++ too), the interface to xna and the graphics library to directx, as well as paying the fee.
Don't the 1.x versions support D3D already?