Skirmish scripts (for WZ2100 v1.10)

Warzone 1.x series. (Aka retail version) (Unsupported!)
Ingenioso
Greenhorn

Skirmish scripts (for WZ2100 v1.10)

Post by Ingenioso »

Attached are the files for your \skirmish folder. They run with most (singleplayer) skirmish maps (not SK-thePit), any number of players.

I started out trying to write a full mission, but had fun with playing this script as it is.

Most of the original AI stuff is unchanged; the main changes are:

All AIs start allied to each other and the human's enemy; destroy 2 of an AI's droids to get them to ally with you. When you have half of the AI's on your side, they break their alliances with the remaining enemy AIs (so that there are 2 teams).

The human players allies can't build research labs, but you can use "leak tech" in the alliances/diplomacy screen.

Maximum AIs as numer of players in the skirmish map.

A scavenger power plant appears at random (owned by the human player; the sound "enemy detected" and you can use F12 to locate it...um, I hadn't yet thought of a story for the mission...) - when destroyed, one of the (enemy) AI gets some free defence structures (includes SAMs and a groundshaker) in their base. The area around this power plant cannot be built on.

Later, the enemy AIs get a free template to make groups of hover bunker busters, which have a scripted mission.

All AIs send help to friendly structures under attack as if they were their own.

GAMEPLAY:

With 8 players (= 7 AI players) on small to medium maps, all the enemy AIs can send everything to attack your base. Small (2v2) maps are more balanced but the enemy AIs don't get much of a chance to develop when they start losing.

I think there is not quite enough time (on sk-maps with "no bases, low tech, low power") to skip building the early tech vehicles (to save power for research better techs), and defend against early AI attacks.

(Bug:) After allying with you, the AI sometimes continues on a mission to attack one of your droids - you might have to send that droid to recycling to stop the attack.

[EDIT:] See later post in this thread for a zipped .wdg file which contains all these script files.
Attachments
skirmishteams.zip
(113.59 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
Last edited by Ingenioso on 11 Jan 2011, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Skirmish scripts (for WZ2100 v1.10)

Post by Rman Virgil »

Couple quick questions - mainly because of your referencing Pumpkin's v.1.10 in your subject heading...

1.) Did you run these scripts in v.2.3.6 ?

2.) Ditto v.3.x ?

3.) How come you don't package as a Skirmish .wz Mod ?

From your description it looks quite interesting what you've done but I think I may not be alone in wondering about the above 3 questions. I don't think anybody will be just doing the manual swapping thing with these scripts in mp.wz - at least without knowing the answer to 1 & 2.

- Regards, RV :hmm:
Ingenioso
Greenhorn

Post by Ingenioso »

Thanks for the reply.

1 and 2) No. The version of WZ2100 I am using is 1.10 .

3) The skirmish\scriptLang.rtf says that script changes should be made here (to these .slo and .vlo files).
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Ingenioso wrote:Thanks for the reply.

1 and 2) No. The version of WZ2100 I am using is 1.10 .

3) The skirmish\scriptLang.rtf says that script changes should be made here (to these .slo and .vlo files).
You bet. :D Ok, ic now on # 1 & # 2. :hmm:

Does sound very interesting (& I mean that sincerely) but there are some serious obstacles at this stage to its exploration by the whole host of peeps here that do throughly enjoy playing SKI Mode.

Theoretically these scripts should run fine in v.2.3.6 and v.3.x . Though the script lang has changed since v.1.10 it's been in the way of additions to... so legacy scripts are not compromised - the obvious example being CAM (stock .wrfs assumed, of course).

Few have v.1.10 and of those even fewer run it. I have it and do so very rarely (for testing, not for fun) because it frankly doesn't look good anymore - especially because of the current use of mip-maps in the v.2.x series and naturally the new terrain renderer in the 3.x series.

Now on to the # 3.) point...

In v.1.10 we packaged as .wdgs (and now as .wz - a .zip archive renamed) and thus avoided doing the PITA manual swapping thing which here means replacing 16 files by hand to run as well as saving 16 original files to go back to stock (which is DyDo these days).

I think the next step here is to package as an mp.wz MOD to run as such and test it in v.2.3.6 and v.3.x. Set-up the proper file structure, package as a .wz and run as a SKI MOD via command-line/short-cut. A whole lot more folks would be inclined to check it out if that was done, IMHO.

Ingenioso
Greenhorn

Post by Ingenioso »

WZ2100 v2.3.6 requires a 64MB videocard (I have 32MB), so I will be unable to test it (on v2.3.6) in the foreseeable future.
In v.1.10 we packaged as .wdgs...and thus avoided doing the PITA manual swapping thing
MakeWDG.exe? I couldn't find any documentation on this program, or where to install the .wdg/.wz files.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Ok. Ic. Makes sense. I'll get back to you later on make.wdg & .wz & file structure, etc... (I'm on my cell now @ work so I have to keep this quick & brief.)

I'll also get around to packaging the .wz for v.2.3.6 and testing but it will be after X-Mas ...

Wolftrak
Trained
Trained

Post by Wolftrak »

Rman Virgil wrote:
Ingenioso wrote: I have it and do so very rarely (for testing, not for fun) because it frankly doesn't look good anymore - especially because of the current use of mip-maps in the v.2.x series and naturally the new terrain renderer in the 3.x series.
A bit offtopic,but I had to ask:Is mipmapping improving visual quality?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Sure, glad to clarify... Mip-mapping of the stock Terrain Map Tertiles is more rotationaly seamless & pleasing than the v.1.10 UN-mip-mapped tertiles. This mip-mapping work and integration was a result of member Kage's efforts a few years back now.

- RV :hmm:
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 19 Dec 2010, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

K, Ingenioso.... 1st for v.1.10 -

This page explains how to make a .wdg using the make.wdg prog.

http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe/readm ... guide.html

If after reading you think you would like to go ahead and do it, let me know and I will post the make.wdg prog here.

-------------->

The file structure for making a yourai.wz Mod for the current binaries (remember a .wz is just a standard .zip archive with a re-named extension):

yourai.wz... contains multiplay folder... which contains skirmish folder... which contains ALL Player .slo & .vlo script files.

This page explains how to install yourai.wz Mod:

http://guide.wz2100.net/faq

And this page explains how to set-up Shortcut / Command Lines:

http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/CommandLineOptions

And thus ANYONE here interested can take your scripts from the 1st post and make a yourai.wz Mod and test in the current binaries. :wink:

- RV :ninja:
Ingenioso
Greenhorn

Post by Ingenioso »

The guide tells about installing mods in later versions of WZ2100 than v1.10, so I can only create the .wdg files but not test them (I have only searched through this .wdg using notepad for key words which appear in the included script files).

I have attached a zipped .wdg file (I used MakeWDG.exe) which contains only all the:

playerx.slo, playerx.vlo, rules.slo, rules.vlo, and the unchanged skTech.slo, sk2Tech.vlo, and sk3Tech.vlo scripts;

they are all the files in my multiplay\skirmish folder.
Attachments
skBBmod.zip
(107.9 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
Last edited by Ingenioso on 26 Mar 2011, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Boris
Trained
Trained

Post by Boris »

I dont know why you still using pc with 64mb graffic card..anyway.. creating any file for wz2100 version 1.x is just wasted time. Because nothing work of that for 2.3.x ..hey.. Who is still playing wz v.1 !?. If you want really build something, you need good pc(for testing),notepad++,script editor,winrar, etc. wdgmaker not help you. thats all for now...
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

@ Ingenioso.... I'll be able to test your work within the current binaries next week and will report back here the results.

- Regards, Rman. :3
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Ingenioso wrote:WZ2100 v2.3.6 requires a 64MB videocard (I have 32MB), so I will be unable to test it (on v2.3.6) in the foreseeable future.
If you turn down the texture size in the video options, it should run (if it doesn't start, you need to edit the config file manually and change textureSize).
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Rman Virgil wrote:

Few have v.1.10 and of those even fewer run it. I have it and do so very rarely (for testing, not for fun) because it frankly doesn't look good anymore - especially because of the current use of mip-maps in the v.2.x series and naturally the new terrain renderer in the 3.x series.
Psst (low voice from offstage), what about Aivolution, arguably the best mod ever made for WZ (profoundest respect to all post v1.n modders)? With a mod of that quality, looking good is only a minor matter. Good old school treachery better than cosy teaming for immersive gaming.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote:Few have v.1.10 and of those even fewer run it. I have it and do so very rarely (for testing, not for fun) because it frankly doesn't look good anymore - especially because of the current use of mip-maps in the v.2.x series and naturally the new terrain renderer in the 3.x series.
zydonk wrote: Psst (low voice from offstage), what about Aivolution, arguably the best mod ever made for WZ (profoundest respect to all post v1.n modders)? With a mod of that quality, looking good is only a minor matter. Good old school treachery better than cosy teaming for immersive gaming.
I agree, zydonk. :D

But remember Troman had to make changes to core v.1.10 for that great first iteration of AIvolution such that the Mod had to have it's own .exe called v.1.10c (mainly Troman had to create "string support" which stock v.1.10 did NOT have and also create some additional functions to the script language itself. Hands-down, the best mod ever made for so many reasons.)

In any case, that does not take away from the point you made - that first iteration of AIvolution is reason enough to wanna still run v.1.10c no matter how good looking the current binaries are..

BTW.... the recent addition of CAM Transports to v.3.x was proceeded by providing Troman's source code for v.1.10c to see how he did it....

Before Troman left he was considering putting back in key components of that first iteration of AIvolution that he took out for his AIvolution work in the v.2.x series....

Lastly.... but not the least to be said here.... without Troman and Stratadrake's MOD (& proggy) work between 1999-2004..... WZ would have died in 1999 and we would never have made the efforts that led to the games open-sourcing. I have absolutely no doubt that judgement.

- RV :hmm: