Spammers and this forum section

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: Spammers and this forum section

Post by KukY »

I mostly like the thing that Crysmon recommended:
Crymson wrote:What about putting all new people's posts in a moderation queue, until they reach 5 posts?
That would be enough to prevent most all spammers.
Saberuneko wrote:I got a great idea! What about changing that, only registered users can post on Project Feedback, but guests can post on a sub-forum called "Guest Feedback". That would make it.
Only thing that would do is easy the job for moderators. They go there, delete spam, and don't have to worry about spam anymore...
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Why not put all guest posts in an awaiting approval from moderator queue? As it is, guests posts are rare and mostly always spam, why not just direct this straight to the moderator's desk? This is probably lot less work than creating another sub-forum.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Why not put all guest posts in an awaiting approval from moderator queue? As it is, guests posts are rare and mostly always spam, why not just direct this straight to the moderator's desk? This is probably lot less work than creating another sub-forum.
That's what Crymson said.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Crymson wrote:What about putting all new people's posts in a moderation queue, until they reach 5 posts?
That would be enough to prevent most all spammers.
KukY wrote:
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Why not put all guest posts in an awaiting approval from moderator queue? As it is, guests posts are rare and mostly always spam, why not just direct this straight to the moderator's desk? This is probably lot less work than creating another sub-forum.
That's what Crymson said.

Oh, by all new people, I thought he meant even registered users, I was only talking about guest posts, but if he meant that as well, then great.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

j0shdrunk0nwar, heh :)

From my count, it looks like around 5-10 spam messages a day, and it is almost always in this section.
While they may not live long here, it still is annoying.

The best bet is, if you allow anyone to post, those who are not registered, should require moderation. That would save the mods from deleting them, since spam > than real posts, in the end, they will have less work.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Crymson wrote:The best bet is, if you allow anyone to post, those who are not registered, should require moderation. That would save the mods from deleting them, since spam > than real posts, in the end, they will have less work.
Now new guest posts need to be approved.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

unless i get to em first... and they be spam - they be gonzo!!!! :twisted:
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

I just hope that guest posts are not forwarded to the same moderator that banned Saberneko.

Otherwise, everyone can expect any sort of appeal to be silenced.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

the only posts i go after with a vengence , are the ones with links in em, to drugs for erectile problems etc... unless of course you wish to see such things... :wink: :wink: :nudge: :nudge: :lol2:
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

TVR wrote:I just hope that guest posts are not forwarded to the same moderator that banned Saberneko.
They go into the moderation queue, and all mods can (dis)approve them there. The only problem I see is that a post with a bad title might get deleted together with a batch of others without looking at it, but I'd say if people want to be heard they should give their posts titles that stand out between "uLzxlGqMzBpTabJo" and the like.
Otherwise, everyone can expect any sort of appeal to be silenced.
... first people complain about the spam, then when we try to prevent that... If we wanted to silence people, why make guest posting possible at all?