possible solution for "wz does not start"

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Re: possible solution for "wz does not start"

Post by Kamaze »

razr wrote: sorry for posting that into this section, but registration doesn't work right now.
Can you concrete this?
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Wiping the Windows Registry? Are we both talking about Warzone 2100 2.0.5???
Warzone really shouldn't use the Windows Registry at all...
It wouldn't be the first time, though, that WZ's bugs are related to some weirdness, but this is really strange...
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

DevUrandom wrote: Wiping the Windows Registry? Are we both talking about Warzone 2100 2.0.5???
Warzone really shouldn't use the Windows Registry at all...
It wouldn't be the first time, though, that WZ's bugs are related to some weirdness, but this is really strange...
* I keep very close tabs on my registry - It's one of the basic criteria I use for judging the engineering of a new new sw I use (another criteria is mem-leaks).

* Anyway I keep an emmaculate registry - and I've tested this repeatedly over the last month - starting with a clean slate... upon running WZ, then running a deep reg analysis ...... WZ is responsible for quite a few serious (to not so serious) registry errors.

* It's a minor inconvenience at this point but there is no doubt I have to fix my reg every time after playing WZ. AND there is NO doubt WZ responsible.

l8r, rv :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

WTF...
Seems like we need to find the portion of WZ _very_ fast, which is responsible for this.
I thought everything WIN32 related was wiped when the game was ported to Linux. Apparently this is not the case.
I am very curious where we will find the responsible code... (I can't remember _ever_ seeing any Windows Registry related code in WZ.)
tuant20
Trained
Trained

Post by tuant20 »

DevUrandom wrote: WTF...
I am very curious where we will find the responsible code... (I can't remember _ever_ seeing any Windows Registry related code in WZ.)
Do we have the design documents (architecture, model, diagram things, ...) for this project?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

you would have if people would have listened to me at the beginning  ( Prior to dec 2004 release of the source.) >:(
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

If you are going to create them, we have them. Otherwise we don't...
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

tuant20 wrote: Do we have the design documents (architecture, model, diagram things, ...) for this project?
DevUrandom wrote: If you are going to create them, we have them. Otherwise we don't...

ok - if he is asking about code related (programing design stuff - i dont understand that - which is why i was asking if and when you coders had a few spare seconds ---just some annotations even... i wasnt asking for 30000000 pages on each topic... ;D

now if he is asking about stuff that has already been implemented in the original documents project ... maybe i should ask what he is actually asking... before i start getting all ...  >:( :( :o ??? ::)  etc.... right?  ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
tuant20
Trained
Trained

Post by tuant20 »

DevUrandom wrote: If you are going to create them, we have them. Otherwise we don't...
so we have got the source code only in the original documents?
if that so i think we should have someone build the architecture (in style of UML) from the scratch first. Maybe anyone in this project's developers who has the rapid reading-understanding skill  8)
tuant20
Trained
Trained

Post by tuant20 »

lav_coyote25 wrote: you would have if people would have listened to me at the beginning  ( Prior to dec 2004 release of the source.) >:(
i am newbie here and i don't understand what you mean
lav_coyote25 wrote:
ok - if he is asking about code related (programing design stuff - i dont understand that - which is why i was asking if and when you coders had a few spare seconds ---just some annotations even... i wasnt asking for 30000000 pages on each topic... ;D

now if he is asking about stuff that has already been implemented in the original documents project ... maybe i should ask what he is actually asking... before i start getting all ...  >:( :( :o ??? ::)  etc.... right?  ;D
if you are really 52... i am sorry about your self-control
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

tuant20 wrote: so we have got the source code only in the original documents?
We got the source code in SVN...
tuant20 wrote: if that so i think we should have someone build the architecture (in style of UML) from the scratch first. Maybe anyone in this project's developers who has the rapid reading-understanding skill  8)
I prophesy that those diagrams will change a lot in the next months...
If you want to document the code in all it's detail (what would be needed to find the hidden Windows Registry related code), then this would also be a huge task with little to no benefit, since the diagrams would be so complicated that no one could understand them.
tuant20
Trained
Trained

Post by tuant20 »

DevUrandom wrote: If you want to document the code in all it's detail (what would be needed to find the hidden Windows Registry related code), then this would also be a huge task with little to no benefit, ...
I don't think so. At least we will be able to control the scope of this project and get the traceability.
DevUrandom wrote: ... since the diagrams would be so complicated that no one could understand them.
the diagrams would be so complicated that no one could understand them?  :-\
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

DevUrandom wrote: [...]
If you want to document the code in all it's detail (what would be needed to find the hidden Windows Registry related code), [...]
THEN it would become a very complicated diagram.
So for this task I am not sure whether it is sensible.

In the future I think it would be interesting to have such a general overview, but I won't get into doing this before the codebase has not stabilized. This will take a few months, since we didn't even start working on it, yet.