FAQ antivirus recommendations

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
Guest Poster

FAQ antivirus recommendations

Post by Guest Poster »

The FAQ states that: "We also recommend a better antivirus program. Microsoft Security Essentials is free, and is as good as or better than all other antivirus programs, including paid ones, according to independent studies by AV-Comparatives."

This is no longer true, if it ever was. Microsoft Security Essentials is not recommended by AV Comparatives. It lost effectiveness years ago. In fact, Microsoft recommends you find a better solution.
...Microsoft has "admitted Windows users should install antivirus above and beyond its own Security Essentials." In a recent interview, Holly Stewart of the Microsoft Malware Protection Center said that Microsoft has changed its approach to antivirus and aim to share their antivirus research with other companies and establish MSE as a "baseline" for other programs to build off of:

"We’re providing all of that data and information to our partners so they can do at least as well as we are," she said. "The natural progression is that we will always be on the bottom of these tests. And honestly, if we are doing our job correctly, that’s what will happen."

She added that Microsoft wants "everyone to do better than us because we know that makes it harder for the bad guys".
This is from 2013. Link: http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-admits- ... 1441135677

Please update your FAQ. Thanks!
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: FAQ antivirus recommendations

Post by NoQ »

Agreed, removed. Even though i haven't seen Windows for years, and i still remember having seen MSE recommended as something usable, and i didn't instantly found sensible proof links for the interview, current AV-Comparatives clearly don't recommend MSE, and neither it is our job to advertise antiviruses, i guess...