What is changed compared to the original?

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
flexicon
New user

What is changed compared to the original?

Post by flexicon »

Hi guys,

I found your site today and I was very exited to see that Warzone still lives on :-) I am currently downloading the code to see if I can get it working!

But I could not find on the website what you have improved compared to the original Warzone. I finally found some information in the news archive and on the wikipedia site of Warzone, but I still have some questions. Is the AI improved? Is unit path finding improved? Are there high resolution textures? Perhaps you could create a page (or maybe a section on the homepage) with the things you guys have done?

Anyway, keep up the good work :-)
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: What is changed compared to the original?

Post by NoQ »

Well, essentially, ==> this.
Is the AI improved?
The AI no longer power-cheats; which makes the original AI (now known as Nexus AI) much weaker (i think some cheats still remain in it). It also had some non-significant tweaks. The good news is, we can pick from multiple custom AIs now. This includes the Semperfi AI (which is a modification of Nexus AI with some curious experimental tweaks), and NullBot AI (which is a completely new AI and should be much harder than the older AIs, even while non-cheating).
Is unit path finding improved?
Some things fixed, some things currently broken. The pathfinder is new and it no longer hangs the whole game from time to time, but still not slim enough to make units never stuck against each other.
Are there high resolution textures?
Terrain and base structure graphics have had a significant update. As for terrain graphics, it also simplifies map making greatly, as blending of different terrains together no longer needs to be achieved by manually placing all border transition tiles, but is done automatically.
Perhaps you could create a page (or maybe a section on the homepage) with the things you guys have done?
Good idea actually.

Apart from minor UI improvements, there were two more major things: a lot changes (and i must say improvements) in skirmish/multiplayer game balance (which is different from campaign anyway), and a new network engine which is now completely synchronized and thus disallows most cheats and also no longer lags for minutes, displaying completely different stuff on different machines. In older game you could just change your money on your machine or give yourself units (by using a cheat program or recompiling the game with modified sources) and go kill everybody, but now if you make any order that other machines find impossible, then the game instantly notices that.