Warzone being sold? Was: You guys are awesome!

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
Tux

Warzone being sold? Was: You guys are awesome!

Post by Tux »

I have no idea what is going on but....
I searched warzone on google. Down the bottom/middle part of the page I saw a amazon website selling warzone 2100. I figure hey did they port it to kindle? I clicked on it and it said new 56 or so dollars and used copy 40 something dollars. I am pretty sure I got the game for free. It is suppose to be free right.....
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Warzone being sold? Was: You guys are awesome!

Post by Staff »

Tux wrote:I have no idea what is going on but....
I searched warzone on google. Down the bottom/middle part of the page I saw a amazon website selling warzone 2100. I figure hey did they port it to kindle? I clicked on it and it said new 56 or so dollars and used copy 40 something dollars. I am pretty sure I got the game for free. It is suppose to be free right.....
There are some places that have the retail version of the game still for sale.
There are other people who "sell" the version we have here (which is 100% free), which they can get around the rules by charging for the media & shipping. (aka, a rip-off).
And there are other people who don't charge, but make the game available, and ask for donations for their project.

This game you see on this site will always be free, but, we do ask for donations, mainly for the server upkeep, and that hosts everything you see on this site. Nobody is getting paid for any work that goes on for this game.

Hope that clears things up.
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
Tux

Post by Tux »

Ok...
Stupid laws! Arrrrgghhh I just can't stop thinking of people buying that and getting ripped off! But we can't do a thing about it. Yeah?
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Staff »

Not really, if they follow the rules about the GPL version, then there really isn't nothing we can do about how they "sell" it.
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Yeah, and if it's the same person on ebay they are also selling about a dozen other GPL games. 0AD, Vega Strike, etc. If they were selling all of these games as a bundle it wouldn't be so bad.

I think someone with an ebay account should contact one of these sellers and ask them if the source code is included on the disk. If they can't ask them where the can download it. If they point you here you can always thank them for showing you where to download the game for free :lol2:
Perseus
Trained
Trained

Post by Perseus »

Yep, MT Software Solutions is an example (on Ebay), they're selling other open source stuff as well. :augh: