New Forums

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
themac
Trained
Trained

New Forums

Post by themac »

Hello all. :-)

Finally I am here. That´s because I was lucky to have the right idea. Not many people visit the new forums these days. Maybe they are - like me before - are waiting in the change-your-password-if-you-like-screen. They may think - like me before - the forums are still not online again. They don´t want to change their password and are waiting until the forums are back online - not knowing that all the have to do to change their password...

Greetings, themac
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Forums

Post by Staff »

themac wrote:Hello all. :-)

Finally I am here. That´s because I was lucky to have the right idea. Not many people visit the new forums these days. Maybe they are - like me before - are waiting in the change-your-password-if-you-like-screen. They may think - like me before - the forums are still not online again. They don´t want to change their password and are waiting until the forums are back online - not knowing that all the have to do to change their password...

Greetings, themac
What do you suggest we do ?
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Mass mail all users that they need to change their password and whatever else is new. the forum can do this ya know ;)
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Mass mail all users that they need to change their password and whatever else is new. the forum can do this ya know ;)
kinda spam, no?. I personally knew about forum is up after they've changed frontpage theme.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Mass mail all users that they need to change their password and whatever else is new. the forum can do this ya know ;)
Actually, was going to do that, but phpbb is horrible at this stuff.
Sending a mail also does 50 bcc's along with other undesirable actions to each email.
Then with over 4700+ members, we could be put on a spam list and be blocked, something we don't really want.
And finally, the ISP we use doesn't want us to spam that many mails at once.

Right now, we are taking a watch and see approach, and if need be, we will write some custom code to get around phpbb's crap.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Could lower the limit from 50 to 10 and increase the time between e-mails, or send 4000+ individual emails. Either way it wouldn't be that hard to change. I have used the mass mail only a handful of times and have not (yet) had any issues with it.

May also want to think about added an inactive group for regular users, say anyone who hasn't logged in within the past year or two and send them an email to login or have their account deleted. I had to do that twice... 6000+ members is too many if half that haven't logged in in three years.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Could lower the limit from 50 to 10 and increase the time between e-mails, or send 4000+ individual emails. Either way it wouldn't be that hard to change. I have used the mass mail only a handful of times and have not (yet) had any issues with it.
There is no option to lower that limit...or increase the time between mails. It just asks what you want to send... to whom, what priority, and that is pretty much it.
May also want to think about added an inactive group for regular users, say anyone who hasn't logged in within the past year or two and send them an email to login or have their account deleted. I had to do that twice... 6000+ members is too many if half that haven't logged in in three years.
If we do decide to do some mass mails, yeah, would do something along those lines, but not with phpBB's mass mailer.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

vexed wrote:
Lord Apocalypse wrote:Could lower the limit from 50 to 10 and increase the time between e-mails, or send 4000+ individual emails. Either way it wouldn't be that hard to change. I have used the mass mail only a handful of times and have not (yet) had any issues with it.
There is no option to lower that limit...or increase the time between mails. It just asks what you want to send... to whom, what priority, and that is pretty much it.
I was actually referring to a code change in the mass mail portion. It is trivial to make changes to the base php code. Well, provided you understand C++ or php and know how to google ;)