Lights, Camera, Action but no sound

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
EVIL386
Trained
Trained

Lights, Camera, Action but no sound

Post by EVIL386 »

I don't know if anybody else has noticed this or not but:

Sometimes I get periods when things are happening but the sounds are not fired, do you know what I mean?

For instance: the hellstorms are firing but im not getting the firing noise, also the GUI makes no noise but I can hear a constant engine noise instead
sometimes I can hear the shell flying through the air but when it hits there's no explosion sound. Same goes for most weapons.

Is this a sound mixer problem/OpenAL?

I think this might just be me since I have a realtek on board 7.1 sound card :/

If I go back to my SB Audigy will this problem go away or still exist?

Tested on 2.1 RC 1, beta 5, beta 4 and 2.0.10. But I didn't have this problem on the original WZ2100.

I'll give you my exact sound card/drivers when I get home from work tonight. Can any one help me? :gonk:
jaakan
Trained
Trained

Re: Lights, Camera, Action but no sound

Post by jaakan »

When those periods when is there alot going on?

I have noticed that if the number of events that need a sound played is very high some sounds don't get played.
EVIL386 wrote:I don't know if anybody else has noticed this or not but:

Sometimes I get periods when things are happening but the sounds are not fired, do you know what I mean?

For instance: the hellstorms are firing but im not getting the firing noise, also the GUI makes no noise but I can hear a constant engine noise instead
sometimes I can hear the shell flying through the air but when it hits there's no explosion sound. Same goes for most weapons.

Is this a sound mixer problem/OpenAL?

I think this might just be me since I have a realtek on board 7.1 sound card :/

If I go back to my SB Audigy will this problem go away or still exist?

Tested on 2.1 RC 1, beta 5, beta 4 and 2.0.10. But I didn't have this problem on the original WZ2100.

I'll give you my exact sound card/drivers when I get home from work tonight. Can any one help me? :gonk:
EVIL386
Trained
Trained

Post by EVIL386 »

jaakan wrote:When those periods when is there alot going on?
Well that depends if 30+ Hellstorms on the screen (not all firing simultaneously mind) are counted as a lot

but yeah there are countless other battles on the map but not within audible range.

But the thing is right if it work like I think which is 1 sound per item action only equals 30 buffers when there are 256 software buffers to mix in.

I think the sound system might be trying to mix sounds which are not even audible which would exhuast the amount of buffers very quickly.

I might update my svn copy and try and debug whats going on myself and see if I can come up with an explanation / possible patch
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

this has been an issue since the retail release in '99.

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
EVIL386
Trained
Trained

Post by EVIL386 »

Mmm kay, It's not a big problem just wondered if there was like a 2 click fix or something like that.

If i'm not too busy now towards christmas, I Might, *might* be able to start work on re-writing the sound engine...

I'm not sure if I can do it and my C++ skills are rusty at best but everyone else seems busy fixing general/gfx issues so I guess I could help out since I rack up about 20+ hours a week playing it :D
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

wz is written in C.... "gnarly C" as one of the original Pumpkin devs described it..... :gonk:

i could have sworn one of the WRP was looking into it a while back... but of course help on anything is always welcome. so
much to do, so little time to spare ... there isn't a foss project that doesn't feel that perpetual pinch.

20 hours ! damn, brings back memories. :)

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
EVIL386
Trained
Trained

Post by EVIL386 »

whippersnapper wrote:.

wz is written in C.... "gnarly C" as one of the original Pumpkin devs described it..... :gonk:

Lol can't be as bad as my "dodgy C#" haha
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Lol can't be as bad as my "dodgy C#" haha
yea, i hear ya... my stuff in C++ is in the VERY dodgy stage now......

but seriously, when i was working on WZ what i found often happened is we'd get one upgraded component
working good only to find something else got broken in the process (usually MP, 4 to 8 players). over
the long haul i started to liken the process to a combination whack-a-mole and a house of cards and,
ultimately, beyond my patience threshold which led me to an even higher regard for those with the "right stuff" to
deal with these challenges..

Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

EVIL386 wrote: Well that depends if 30+ Hellstorms on the screen (not all firing simultaneously mind) are counted as a lot

but yeah there are countless other battles on the map but not within audible range.

But the thing is right if it work like I think which is 1 sound per item action only equals 30 buffers when there are 256 software buffers to mix in.

I think the sound system might be trying to mix sounds which are not even audible which would exhuast the amount of buffers very quickly.

I might update my svn copy and try and debug whats going on myself and see if I can come up with an explanation / possible patch
There is a cap on the number of same sounds being played.
The game don't really care where the sounds are, they still will be added no matter the position. Yeah, that is lame.
Yes, the sound system need to be rewritten.
There is a sound branch that Giel is working on when he gets the chance.
and it ends here.