maximum and minimum game speeds in b4

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
mfreire
New user

maximum and minimum game speeds in b4

Post by mfreire »

Hi,
I have just installed 2.1 beta 4, and there seems to be no way to increase speed beyond x1.5 or decrease speed below x0.3. I have read through the readme to see if there was any way to change these limits in the config values; can anybody point me to a way of restoring previous behavior?

Yes, if needed, I'll download the sources, grep for the values, and rebuild everything -- but I'm sure there is an easier way to do things.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: maximum and minimum game speeds in b4

Post by Per »

Enter cheat mode. Then you can go beyond these limits.
mfreire
New user

Post by mfreire »

Thanks for the suggestion - works beatifully (should have thought of it myself).

On the other hand, the main use for > x2 mode is to build up energy and finish pending research before ending a level in SP campaign. This could be automated by giving the player a lump-sum of energy, equivalent to energy-buildup-rate * time-remaining. Actually incentivizing players to finish as soon as they can instead of leaving that last enemy structure alive just for the extra points. A similar strategy can be implemented for technologies - using research-rate * time-remaining for pending research...

(I know, I know - this is not the place for idea-mongering. But the 'thank you' looked like a good opportunity to rant)
nicholasneko
Greenhorn

Post by nicholasneko »

i thought of that the other night when i went to take a shower and build up fuel on an untimed level. i like the idea of getting your time left dumped into energy and research.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

The time de/acceleration stuff was changed back to how it was originally set to.
There are some cases where having accelerated the time would mess things up, and it would screw up your game.
That is why the more extreme values are only enabled in debug mode.
and it ends here.
armigus
Greenhorn

Post by armigus »

The issues go a bit beyond timing limits. My primary "combat speed", 0.5, is gone also. That was the minimum speed that avoided "turtle wheelies" where units turning downhill did not adjust properly.

I confess I am rather spoiled with the 0.1, 3.0, and, occasionally, 10.0 speeds. The latter I use especially in Alpha 1 to train my troops and build a huge power base. The former allows me to manage bombing raids, especially in the Beta campaign.

If I need debug mode to run those speeds, then so be it. My ideal is set of timings is 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, (optional) 10.0.