BETA.5 - Feedback

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: BETA.5 - Feedback

Post by Zarel »

Buginator wrote:Actually, no, it is pretty weak.

That was T1. In T3, the LASSAT is pathetic.
Assuming you actually research Hardened Base Structure Materials. It's my impression no one actually does.
Raem_Lylar
Trained
Trained

Post by Raem_Lylar »

Buginator wrote: If you do a svn up, then you will get the patch. It is in both trunk, and 2.1 branch.
Or do you mean, you don't understand how to view each patch that was submitted in the repo?
Yes, i dont know where to find patches, since they are not on this site and their is no obvious link to recent patches.
Zarel wrote: Assuming you actually research Hardened Base Structure Materials. It's my impression no one actually does.
Actually, i used to not research base material upgrades, but then an AI LasSat'ed me and wiped my base out... now i always make sure i have researched them all before the AI heads into the neural synapse research phase.
Main: Arithyce
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Raem_Lylar wrote:Yes, i dont know where to find patches, since they are not on this site and their is no obvious link to recent patches.
No obvious link? Click "Development", then "Timeline".

Here it is: http://developer.wz2100.net/changeset/6104
Raem_Lylar wrote:Actually, i used to not research base material upgrades, but then an AI LasSat'ed me and wiped my base out... now i always make sure i have researched them all before the AI heads into the neural synapse research phase.
There's generally a significant problem if you haven't killed the AI by the time it gets to LasSat.
Raem_Lylar
Trained
Trained

Post by Raem_Lylar »

Zarel wrote: There's generally a significant problem if you haven't killed the AI by the time it gets to LasSat.
I intentionally prolong the game until i have researched everything. Besides, i usually do 7vs1 matches with the AI set as hard as possible(I'm the 1) I usually always win btw.
Zarel wrote:No obvious link? Click "Development", then "Timeline".
The most recent patch has the fixes and changes of the previous patch, correct?
Main: Arithyce
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Raem_Lylar wrote:I intentionally prolong the game until i have researched everything. Besides, i usually do 7vs1 matches with the AI set as hard as possible(I'm the 1) I usually always win btw.
You mean 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1, right? It's pretty much impossible to win 7v1 (as in, 7 AIs allied against you) by turtling (although I think flamer-rushing before my rebalance might do it, especially against Aivolution.)

(On that note, Aivolution might be the ideal AI against the standard tank strategy, but it's remarkably easy to defeat with any other strategy, including flamer-rushing after my rebalance)
Raem_Lylar wrote:The most recent patch has the fixes and changes of the previous patch, correct?
o_O No, the patches are individual. But the most recent trunk has everything committed up to now, including the LasSat patch.
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Zarel wrote:There's generally a significant problem if you haven't killed the AI by the time it gets to LasSat.
This is the Nature of Mankind - solving Problems. I like that, it's a Challenge. ;) (annoying though to always rebuild your Factory lol)
Zarel wrote: It's pretty much impossible to win 7v1 (as in, 7 AIs allied against you) by turtling (although I think flamer-rushing before my rebalance might do it, especially against Aivolution.)
If you turtle the whole Game, i think so - but if you are into Defense AND Attack (like me), you can win this. Specially very fast Players are able to. The regular Warzone AI and Aivolution are too weak, because they always do the same, they always use the same Strategy. They are calculable.

I would wish the Feature of using more than one AI at the same Time - AI choosable at each Opponent and Randomly too.
Or an AI, which contains more than one Strategy in it, choosable and Randomly.

Till someone writes an AI, which learns and i mearn real Learning (I wonder, who said that - Aiv doesn't really learn, it always tries the same too, so can just put up some Bunkers and there you go).
:ninja:
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Zarel wrote:It's pretty much impossible to win 7v1 (as in, 7 AIs allied against you)
That depends on the map... :ninja:

I did it on the 8c-cockate map. The AI was bogged down with bad path-finding, and the terrain gave excellent cover for my cowardly expanding artillery.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

If you turtle the whole Game, i think so
Indeed. Turtling will only make your enemies turtling even more than you, and yes AIs know how to turtle. Well, they just randomly spawn hardpoints and bunkers around the base, but they will keep you busy for a long time, even with artillery. A game like that would require a lot of time to complete, if your enemies don't start organising and attacking your base all togheter. Oh well, good luck in that case, and let's hope your turtling is good.

My usual tactic in 1v7 (T1-no base) is rushing as many AIs as I can at the very beginning, before the enemy even starts producing mg vipers. First, I send a truck at the first enemy base while my first first mg's get produced. While the truck gets to the enemy base, mg turrets will be ready, so that I can tower rush the enemy factory. By the time, vipers are ready so I start sending vipers to another base (which means that that base will be destroyed 99% of the time). In the meantime the good 'ol truck will rush another base, leaving the old one with 3-4 turrets which will take care of AI trucks, which will in vane return to the base after escaping and start building another factory, suiciding themselves this time. This time the truck (or trucks if I sent another one) will build bunkers as they are usually ready at this point. Mg's (twin now) will then attack another base. All of this is done in a semicircular way; that means I send trucks to the closest base to one side of my base and vipers to the opposite: this way I can get around the remaining enemies (which are usually 3, if not 4 if the fourth one is lucky enough to survive) by taking defeated enemies base posts and placing factories and defense systems there.
This way I can have a granted control of 70% of the map, including every oil resource. I would usually have something like 18 oil derricks, and sort of unlimited energy. After that I usually take a break to build some defense around the territory and research some good weapon, and finish the game when I'm tired, by completing the surrounding manouvers around the enemies, and blowing up the last base with two joint armies.
A good moment for T1 to attack is when you first get lancers, and in T2 and T3 a good amount of artillery placed close to the enemies base will be very useful.
A very important thing against AI is to get Phyton before they do. Killing a well-armed heavy body will require at least 4 light bodies or 2-3 medium bodies, so if your enemy sends to your base 5-6 phytons, you are going to lose lots of units if you don't have heavy body.
bisounours army
Trained
Trained

Post by bisounours army »

On Fedora

Code: Select all

$ uname -r
2.6.26.5-45.fc9.x86_64

$ warzone2100 --version
Warzone 2100 - Version 2.1_beta5
Is impossible to save or load a game.
The game crash:

$ warzone2100 
error   : [getCampaignV] getCampaignV: error while reading file: File not found
Could not find the frame base for "abort".
Saved dump file to '/tmp/warzone2100.gdmp'
the file exist:

$ ls -al
total 12
drwx------ 2 Jonathan Jonathan 4096 oct  7 13:57 .
drwx------ 7 Jonathan Jonathan 4096 oct  6 15:29 ..
-rw------- 1 Jonathan Jonathan    8 oct  7 13:57 mission 3.gam
[Jonathan@localhost savegame]$ pwd
/home/Jonathan/.warzone2100-2.1/savegame

see the file *.gdmp

the function getCampaignV don't work on linux system?
Attachments
warzone2100.gdmp.txt
warzone2100.gdmp
(11.65 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

I usually produce trucks (not bother with armed droids) and send them off to build mg bunkers in AI bases. Even one bunker can disable a base, because they are bitches to destroy so early in a game. But doing this seems to me to go against the spirit of WZ. I mean, cut your opponents down to a number you can handle, and amend their strength, before you start the game. There is still an advantage to the human player: all those empty bases and their resources!

One of the v1.10 mods (maybe KICK or LOD) has the AI scripted to build powerful bases. The games used to end in stalemate. I just couldn't break into any of the AI bases. I usually use banks of arty to soften up the outer defences, but with this mod the AI would have banks of arty as a defence - so I could never get close enough.

But I think the AI should build strong defences (esp they should be scripted to update existing defences, for instance flamers). There can be marvellous endgames when everyone is tooled up max, lots of reserves and nothing to do but go head to head.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

zydonk wrote:One of the v1.10 mods (maybe KICK or LOD) has the AI scripted to build powerful bases. The games used to end in stalemate. I just couldn't break into any of the AI bases. I usually use banks of arty to soften up the outer defences, but with this mod the AI would have banks of arty as a defence - so I could never get close enough.
Couldn't you use mobile archies and a mobile WSS, use LasSat to destroy their sensor towers, then rush in with the mobile WSS and destroy as much as possible? Maybe mobile Hellstorms would be better.

It might be better to take the opportunity to take out their AA instead, so you could rush in with VTOLs. I've discovered VTOLs are very powerful if you use the right weapons with them (10 VTOL Pulse Lasers, for instance, can take out two to four factories, as well as a few trucks, in one run). After you've taken out their AA, you can attack trucks, then factories, then take out everything else at your leisure.
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

Delphinio wrote:
lol, a "bit" strong the laser sat.
Zarel wrote:
Buginator wrote:Actually, no, it is pretty weak.

That was T1. In T3, the LASSAT is pathetic.
Assuming you actually research Hardened Base Structure Materials. It's my impression no one actually does.
hmm ya, if the base structure res does a differents between all blow up and nothing or 1 building then its maybe ok.
but i dont like very strong super weapons.
in 1.10 was it to weak, that yes but... as i said.
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Well done WRP, I've tested the version just right now and i really liked the version, the "stutter" bug has gone, so i can keep developing my mod without worry about it.

Keep up the good work =D
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

zarel: funny I should write about impregnable bases yesterday. I've been testing a new map of mine and I've found that the AI built three really strong bases, back-up arty and all. I've just finished the game, six hours, and it ended up like SupCom. I found that while the AI builds a park of about 20+ Hellstorms, plus rotary mortars, it does not replace them once they have been taken out (in this case by SatLas - vtols bomb one gun at a time while them AA picks them off at a mulitple). What made the difference this time is the increased build limit. The extra 200+ droids (Pulse - I agree with you there), made all the difference in the final attack. Ended up with 25 droids. Wow!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

zydonk wrote:zarel: funny I should write about impregnable bases yesterday. I've been testing a new map of mine and I've found that the AI built three really strong bases, back-up arty and all. I've just finished the game, six hours, and it ended up like SupCom. I found that while the AI builds a park of about 20+ Hellstorms, plus rotary mortars, it does not replace them once they have been taken out (in this case by SatLas - vtols bomb one gun at a time while them AA picks them off at a mulitple). What made the difference this time is the increased build limit. The extra 200+ droids (Pulse - I agree with you there), made all the difference in the final attack. Ended up with 25 droids. Wow!
Well, you shouldn't be using VTOL bombs - they're incredibly ineffective in 1.10/2.1/trunk. The AI usually doesn't have very much AA except some Hurricanes, which are rather easy to destroy with VTOL Pulse Laser. Remember to use Retrib bodies - anything larger and it'll be too slow, and too easy for the AA to kill (that's also why VTOL Pulse Laser is a good choice, it's nice and light). Kill all the AA, kill the trucks so they can't make more, kill the factories so they can't make more trucks, then work on the arty.

Even with Stormbringer, if you swarm them, you can generally destroy all the Stormies before all your VTOLs die. Although it's easier to weaken the AA with a LasSat first. And then once you destroy all the Stormies, destroying all the AI's trucks is easy. And then you'll have enough time to refuel and take down the AI's factories, before the AI can pump out more trucks and make more AA.

I dunno - it seems easier than waiting for LasSat to slowly take out every arty site.