what is the purpose..

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
bisugzzz
Greenhorn

what is the purpose..

Post by bisugzzz »

i don't know what is the purpose of SENSOR TOWERS.. or Sensor turrets.. so i don't mind building them... anyone can tell me what's the purpose??
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Re: what is the purpose..

Post by Zi-Chan »

Sensor Towers/Turrets increase the Range of your Sight, localizing Enemy Structures and Enemy Units.
Some Weapons got bigger Fire Ranges than they can actually see on the Field - specially at the Beginning. There is the Purpose of mobile Sensor Turrets.
Artillery needs Sensor Towers/Turrets to be able to fire at huge Ranges, because the built-in-Sensor, every Structure and Unit has, only has a small Range of Sight. Sensor Turrets increase that Range by far.

You can check out yourself, which Weapon/Artillery needs a Sensor to fire at its full Range.
The first grey Sensor Tower offers a Range of 1024. Almost all the others after this Sensor (CB, VTOL and CB/VTOL) too.
And then the green Multifunctional-Sensor offers a Range of 2048. It is the best, as it combines all CB- and VTOL-Sensors.

If you research the Satellite Uplink Center, you still need Sensors for your Weapons/Artillery, as this Structure only reveals the Map, but doesn't help your Units/Structures firing.
Last edited by Zi-Chan on 16 Sep 2008, 13:44, edited 2 times in total.
:ninja:
bisugzzz
Greenhorn

Post by bisugzzz »

can you give me some artillery units or structures?
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Mortar is the first Artillery you can research.
Research Light Cannon, then HEAT Cannon Shells MK1, then you can research it.

By the Way: You have to research HE Mortar Shells MK3 to get the CB-Sensor (which helps your Artillery).
You have to research the VTOL-Propulsion, VTOL-Factory and VTOL-Rearmingpad to get the VTOL-Sensor (which helps your VTOLs)
Research both CB- and VTOL-Sensor, then you can research a Combination called CB/VTOL-Sensor.
And after that, you can research the Multifunctional-Sensor, which is a Combination of CB and VTOL too, but with a much higher Range.

P.S.: The first grey Sensor Tower/Turret helps your Artillery too.
:ninja:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Zi-Chan wrote:Mortar is the first Artillery you can research.
Research Light Cannon, then HEAT Cannon Shells MK1, then you can research it.
Others include:
- Mortar
- Bombard
- Pepperpot
(As said, just research HEAT Cannon Shells, then mortar upgrades)

- Howitzer
- Ground Shaker
- Hellstorm
(Research mortar upgrades to get Howitzer, then howitzer upgrades)

- Ripple Rockets
- Angel Missiles
- Archangel Missiles
(Research mini-rocket artillery, CB tower, and missile upgrades)

(Technically, Mini-Rocket Artillery is an artillery weapon, but its range isn't really long enough to need a dedicated artillery sensor)
By the Way: You have to research HE Mortar Shells MK3 to get the CB-Sensor (which helps your Artillery).
You have to research the VTOL-Propulsion, VTOL-Factory and VTOL-Rearmingpad to get the VTOL-Sensor (which helps your VTOLs)
Research both CB- and VTOL-Sensor, then you can research a Combination called CB/VTOL-Sensor.
And after that, you can research the Multifunctional-Sensor, which is a Combination of CB and VTOL too, but with a much higher Range.

P.S.: The first grey Sensor Tower/Turret helps your Artillery too.
http://celerisdrive.com/wz/r/r.php?widespectrumsensor

Those are the main ones, but there are a lot of other requirements (most of them pretty obvious, like the two Sensor upgrades).
bisugzzz
Greenhorn

Post by bisugzzz »

can u tell me how is artillery being done in new paradigm missions? i am having hard time defeating their main base.. i tried the sensor turrets together with mortar.. but i think it is still the same.. and it frequently misses..
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

bisugzzz wrote:can u tell me how is artillery being done in new paradigm missions? i am having hard time defeating their main base.. i tried the sensor turrets together with mortar.. but i think it is still the same.. and it frequently misses..
Select all your mortars, then click on the sensor. It should say "Assigned to sensor." Then tell the sensor to attack.
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

I recently noticed one thing, which is certainly intended, but makes no sense to me - that mobile sensor turrets only work if you 'micro manage' it, clicking on every single unit or building it should target.
I would have assumed that when not given a specific target it should work like regular sensor, automatically assigning targets (if not set to 'hold fire'), just like any combat vehicles automatically fires upon enemies in range if they are not told to do otherwise.
They do not seem to work when assigned to Commanders either, if I have a vtol strike turret vehicle assigned to a commander, the vtols won't do anything, even when the commander assigns a target, you have to select the sensor unit, detach it and asign it a target manually to have the vtols attack.

I really think sensor turrets should work like sensor buildings when set to 'fire at will', so you could for example put one on a hill overlooking a ravine and targeting the units passing below, get artillery support and all that, without having to construct sensor building everywhere.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

fisk0 wrote:I recently noticed one thing, which is certainly intended, but makes no sense to me - that mobile sensor turrets only work if you 'micro manage' it, clicking on every single unit or building it should target...
That always did bug me.
fisk0 wrote:I really think sensor turrets should work like sensor buildings when set to 'fire at will', so you could for example put one on a hill overlooking a ravine and targeting the units passing below, get artillery support and all that, without having to construct sensor building everywhere.
That would be pretty cool, but I think I read somewhere that the towers have a longer sensor range that its turret counterpart. On a side note, it has been said that mortars, and other artillery emplacements are automatically assigned to the nearest sensor.
Yet, when I put a sensor tower near an enemies base, I have ripple rockets from my base suddenly firing upon them. I would have figured that they would only fire at units near the tower they were closest to.

I think that the towers are all connected, in the case of artillery emplacement buildings being assigned to them. I wonder if the same is true if I were to connect a bunch of howitzer tanks to a sensor tower.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

i think there's a need for different artillery modes

wetheter sensor turrets should behave like sensor towers (automatically select targets)
wetheter (non-assigned) artillery should behave like emplacements or not

these settings could be placed in that window which appears when you right click on a unit
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

elio wrote:i think there's a need for different artillery modes

wetheter sensor turrets should behave like sensor towers (automatically select targets)
wetheter (non-assigned) artillery should behave like emplacements or not

these settings could be placed in that window which appears when you right click on a unit
Yeah, couldn't the "Long Range", "Optimum Range", "Short Range" buttons be replaced with that for the units that would need that?
I doubt anyone would set a Ripple rocket artillery tank to short range, since they can always hit just about the whole map, so they could have "Only fire on manually selected targets", "Fire on units target by attached sensor" and an option (I don't know how it would be worded) to join up the artillery emplacements and fire on anything any sensor or commander targets.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

fisk0 wrote:I doubt anyone would set a Ripple rocket artillery tank to short range...
sometimes strategy calls for drastic measures. Suppose the enemy has a CB tower. Firing my rockets at them will trigger a counter assault on my base with their artillery.
So I would need to lower the range my rockets fire at.
As far as I know, CB towers can only detect indirect weapons, if the fired rounds/missiles lands in the CB towers range. So it does not matter how far away my artillery is, as long as I fire near a CB tower, I will be found. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

That just popped a semi sarcastic question in my head. If I stick a CB turret on a tank, how am I suppose to counter with my mobile arty, if I have to manually find, and click the attackers from the other side of the map? those towers just seem better at these kind of things.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

ClockWork wrote:
fisk0 wrote:I doubt anyone would set a Ripple rocket artillery tank to short range...
sometimes strategy calls for drastic measures. Suppose the enemy has a CB tower. Firing my rockets at them will trigger a counter assault on my base with their artillery.
So I would need to lower the range my rockets fire at.
As far as I know, CB towers can only detect indirect weapons, if the fired rounds/missiles lands in the CB towers range. So it does not matter how far away my artillery is, as long as I fire near a CB tower, I will be found. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

That just popped a semi sarcastic question in my head. If I stick a CB turret on a tank, how am I suppose to counter with my mobile arty, if I have to manually find, and click the attackers from the other side of the map? those towers just seem better at these kind of things.
Which raises the question, what do "short range" and "long range" really mean? The only difference I've really noticed is that units don't move towards enemy units once they get into firing range in "long range" mode.
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

Zarel wrote:Which raises the question, what do "short range" and "long range" really mean? The only difference I've really noticed is that units don't move towards enemy units once they get into firing range in "long range" mode.
The way I understand it (and please correct me if I am wrong, there are a lot of things in Warzone 2100 that does NOT work the way you think they do) is that when units are set to long range they will fire at any enemies that enter the maximum range of their weapon, at that range the chances of hitting ar slim, but not impossible, at optimum range they will fire at the range they are most likely to hit at, and what possible benefits short range may have I have no idea of, but I guess that it's a bit similar to "return fire", it won't attack unless the enemy unit is very close, and thus is not likely to start an aggression.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

fisk0 wrote:
Zarel wrote:Which raises the question, what do "short range" and "long range" really mean? The only difference I've really noticed is that units don't move towards enemy units once they get into firing range in "long range" mode.
The way I understand it (and please correct me if I am wrong, there are a lot of things in Warzone 2100 that does NOT work the way you think they do) is that when units are set to long range they will fire at any enemies that enter the maximum range of their weapon, at that range the chances of hitting ar slim, but not impossible, at optimum range they will fire at the range they are most likely to hit at, and what possible benefits short range may have I have no idea of, but I guess that it's a bit similar to "return fire", it won't attack unless the enemy unit is very close, and thus is not likely to start an aggression.
Actually, only some weapons are less accurate at long range. Artillery weapons are more accurate, for instance.