Current Ubuntu PPA Builds?

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
nullack
Greenhorn

Current Ubuntu PPA Builds?

Post by nullack »

Hi folks :)

As part of my work to help report WarZone bugs its become apparent that the devs consider beta 4 to be "old". Myself and other enthusiasts of your work would like to optimise how we help you and to do that perhaps it is necessary for you to release more regular snapshots? I dont want to have my time wasted by identifying bugs, trying to work out how to replicate them, report them, and then discover that its since been fixed in newer head trunk.

I notice there is an Ubuntu warzone team but the ppa is empty.

Can I suggest that more regular beta releases are released to MOTU for packaging and when items needing testing are coded they could be compiled the team's PPA for more eager warzone testers to have a look.

Thanks
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Re: Current Ubuntu PPA Builds?

Post by EvilGuru »

Beta 5 is in the works and should be out any day now.

Regards, Freddie.
nullack
Greenhorn

Post by nullack »

Thanks. Perhaps its better to do more frequent less ambitious releases? That way testers could better help the dev work being done.
skellr
Trained
Trained

Post by skellr »

Why not just create a snapshot from a branch to test with? You could make them as frequent as you like.
nullack
Greenhorn

Post by nullack »

While I can do a build of any needed deps and the source, the alternative of having regular releases is far superiour. The amount of coverage in hardware will be much higher across the board for official project test releases. Most people avoid SVN head compiles for testing.
skellr
Trained
Trained

Post by skellr »

Ohh, I was thinking of something for PPA.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

nullack wrote:While I can do a build of any needed deps and the source, the alternative of having regular releases is far superiour. The amount of coverage in hardware will be much higher across the board for official project test releases. Most people avoid SVN head compiles for testing.
If you want the job as the release manager, it's yours.

Regards, Freddie.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

nullack wrote:Thanks. Perhaps its better to do more frequent less ambitious releases? That way testers could better help the dev work being done.
Now where did I hear that before? O_o Short answer is, hopefully, this will be the case from now on.
skellr wrote:Why not just create a snapshot from a branch to test with? You could make them as frequent as you like.
Indeed, and this is what I rather have done.

I was thinking of splitting it into stable (2.0.x) / testing (2.1 b5) / unstable (trunk aka 2.2 a1).

Matter of fact, I should fire off another message on the ML about this again.