Help compiling 2.1 beta 4 under MSVC 2005

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
warcraft
Greenhorn

Help compiling 2.1 beta 4 under MSVC 2005

Post by warcraft »

Hello guys,

I'm trying to compile the 2.1 beta 4 source with MSVC 2005 on WinXP.
It looks like inside the framework project (possibly others) the Bison/Flex crashes trying to compile/process the files. A window comes up inside MSVC to close it, then the other .y file going to processing and crashes with error window displayed again.
Then MSVC continues to compile the project not finding those Flex generated files generates errors.

So I can't compile beta 4.

I have Bison v1.8xxx as per Wiki?
Some posts suggest upgrading contrary to Wiki?

1. Is it Bisons fault?
2. Is it source file strres_xxx.y ?

Bison/Flex also leaves a message in MSVC compile window that "string has EOF".
I noticed two %% sybols in the middle of the .y file in beta4?

All other versions like 2.0.10 have this %% at the end of file.

Did anybody tried compiling beta4 under MSVC2005?

Appreciate your help.

p.s. Maybe we should include good working MSVC2005 solution file in to SVN. The one there is corrupt, no version displayed.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Help compiling 2.1 beta 4 under MSVC 2005

Post by Buginator »

warcraft wrote:Hello guys,

I'm trying to compile the 2.1 beta 4 source with MSVC 2005 on WinXP.
It looks like inside the framework project (possibly others) the Bison/Flex crashes trying to compile/process the files. A window comes up inside MSVC to close it, then the other .y file going to processing and crashes with error window displayed again.
Then MSVC continues to compile the project not finding those Flex generated files generates errors.

So I can't compile beta 4.

I have Bison v1.8xxx as per Wiki?
Some posts suggest upgrading contrary to Wiki?

1. Is it Bisons fault?
2. Is it source file strres_xxx.y ?

Bison/Flex also leaves a message in MSVC compile window that "string has EOF".
I noticed two %% sybols in the middle of the .y file in beta4?

All other versions like 2.0.10 have this %% at the end of file.

Did anybody tried compiling beta4 under MSVC2005?

Appreciate your help.

p.s. Maybe we should include good working MSVC2005 solution file in to SVN. The one there is corrupt, no version displayed.
Um, the .sln files are fine. Both for trunk & 2.1 branch.
Do *not* bother with beta 4.

>bison.exe --version
bison (GNU Bison) 2.1

>flex --version
flex version 2.5.4
warcraft
Greenhorn

Post by warcraft »

Buginator wrote:Um, the .sln files are fine. Both for trunk & 2.1 branch.

>bison.exe --version
bison (GNU Bison) 2.1

>flex --version
flex version 2.5.4
So..

1. I should use the latest windows flex/bison installs and ignore Wiki build guide (Flex 2.5 and Bison 1.8 (Bison 2.1 will NOT work) )?
2. I should try to compile SVN trunk 2.1 or Tag 2.1? I tried with the zip package.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

warcraft wrote:
Buginator wrote:Um, the .sln files are fine. Both for trunk & 2.1 branch.

>bison.exe --version
bison (GNU Bison) 2.1

>flex --version
flex version 2.5.4
So..

1. I should use the latest windows flex/bison installs and ignore Wiki build guide (Flex 2.5 and Bison 1.8 (Bison 2.1 will NOT work) )?
2. I should try to compile SVN trunk 2.1 or Tag 2.1? I tried with the zip package.
Yes, use those versions of bison&flex, the bison & flex files that we are now using need at least those versions of the programs. Nobody has had time to update the wiki. :(
And yeah, get trunk or 2.1 branch. trunk = active development, and the 2.1 is getting all the bug fixes from the bugs found in beta 4.
warcraft
Greenhorn

Re: Help compiling 2.1 beta 4 under MSVC 2005 - one more q

Post by warcraft »

I got trunk version compiled!
I used new Bison 2+, and then it was about the .lib files. Got all the libraries downloaded.

The question I have is the .exe of trunk wants all libraries as DLLs present in exe/output directory.
It this always like that or is there an option to build .exe with no need for every lib be represented by same .dll?

Thank you!

p.s. Does 2.1 runs faster in terms of FPS then 2.0.10? It seems it a lot faster, but I don't know the exact FPS.
Also what is the default key to get to cheat codes or is there a DEFINE required to compile those in?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Help compiling 2.1 beta 4 under MSVC 2005 - one more q

Post by Buginator »

warcraft wrote:I got trunk version compiled!
I used new Bison 2+, and then it was about the .lib files. Got all the libraries downloaded.

The question I have is the .exe of trunk wants all libraries as DLLs present in exe/output directory.
It this always like that or is there an option to build .exe with no need for every lib be represented by same .dll?

Thank you!

p.s. Does 2.1 runs faster in terms of FPS then 2.0.10? It seems it a lot faster, but I don't know the exact FPS.
Also what is the default key to get to cheat codes or is there a DEFINE required to compile those in?
The DLL issue is because I can't build static versions of quite a few libraries that we use. :( Annoying as heck :scream:
For framerates, it should be pretty close. I know it is capped at 45 (mp) and 60 (sp), and there may have been some changes between them, but you would have to check the logs to be sure.
The cheat codes/debug must first be enabled via command line, or edit config file. Then you press left shift-backspace to enable it.