Overall discoveries

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
soraoseka
Greenhorn

Overall discoveries

Post by soraoseka »

Hello,
It s all about some crash on 2.1b4.

I think related to x64 architecture or Vista on beta4:
- Players names limited to 3 characters (we can manage to force it through but we end with a huge list of unused names)

I think related to beta4 :
- The game will crash (stop running) when using artificial intelligence in multiplayer without AIVOLUTION.
This problem did not occure on first game start through and still occures after all settings files deletion.
NOTE : i did not uninstall properly the game 2.0.10 before installing 2.1b4 so there are still some data in windows registry.

Feedback about AIVOLUTION:
- The AI seems to be WAY WEEKER than the original AI of 2.0.10
- Sometimes enemies units (when they just got builded) just do nothing despite the presence of foes.

Something that would be good :
- games requiring passwords for private games.

Feedback about your work :
I Really love it ! Your team and this game. I think I would join your team if i had time and a little more experience in game dev (only made 1 FPS game so far in opengl). Maybe i could join just for debugging ? :P
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Overall discoveries

Post by Per »

soraoseka wrote:Maybe i could join just for debugging ? :P
We would love to have more people help us with debugging!
soraoseka
Greenhorn

Post by soraoseka »

Tonight we are 3 friend playing cross patform and i keep crashing:
My OS : Vista x64
My friend 1 : Vista x86
My friend 2 : XP x64

I played all days with my friend 1 the only crash happen with AI when running without AIVOLUTION
Tonight it does not work at all with both my friend but it worked with an unknoan player 1 time
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

soraoseka wrote:Hello,
It s all about some crash on 2.1b4.

I think related to x64 architecture or Vista on beta4:
- Players names limited to 3 characters (we can manage to force it through but we end with a huge list of unused names)
I can't replicate the limited to 3 characters with latest trunk & 2.1. I tried everything I could think of, and still can't get it to do this.
I think related to beta4 :
- The game will crash (stop running) when using artificial intelligence in multiplayer without AIVOLUTION.
This problem did not occure on first game start through and still occures after all settings files deletion.
NOTE : i did not uninstall properly the game 2.0.10 before installing 2.1b4 so there are still some data in windows registry.
We don't use the registry at all for 2.1.
As for crashing, what does stderr.txt & stdout.txt show? (located in same dir as warzone2100.exe)
Feedback about AIVOLUTION:
- The AI seems to be WAY WEEKER than the original AI of 2.0.10
- Sometimes enemies units (when they just got builded) just do nothing despite the presence of foes.
Weaker? O_o
You sure you were running Aivolution?
Something that would be good :
- games requiring passwords for private games.
I don't see this as a problem right now, since there are so few players, but in the future...
Feedback about your work :
I Really love it ! Your team and this game. I think I would join your team if i had time and a little more experience in game dev (only made 1 FPS game so far in opengl). Maybe i could join just for debugging ? :P
As Per says, we can always use some extra help, and especially from people who have machines running a OS that the devs don't have!
Seems like you may have found some kind of issues with XP & Vista x64 that may be causing the above problems. I have heard of other issues with Vista also...
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

soraoseka wrote: - The AI seems to be WAY WEEKER than the original AI of 2.0.10
Hmm, is it just me or is aivolution.wz faulty again for beta 4?
It only has one copy of Aivolution AIs, for player 0, all other players are therefore stock AIs when you activate Aivolution...

EDIT: if anyone is wondering if he is running Aivolution you can check it out by bringing up the alliance menu ('Enter' key on the numetic pad). All Aivolution AIs will have an "-aiv" suffix. You have to wait 3-5 secs for the game to change AI names.

Or you can alternatively type

Code: Select all

are you aiv?
in the game.
soraoseka
Greenhorn

Post by soraoseka »

Ok i ll bring out the dump and error files next time i crash since i did not save the last one...
There were no AI and no mods for the three of us. We were playing in Chaos Mode.
It crashed in the middle of the game, i was fighting my friend 1 and my friend 2 was in his base.

A friend noticed me of another strange bug:
Mods files are not installed on his xp64 but they are on his vista x64.
I also join his full configuration :
motherboard 780i evga
processor intel q9450
graphical card point of view 8600 gt
ram 1066 mhz pc2-8500 c5

As for my material for all the bugs :
I am running on Vista x64
Motherboard K9A2 Platinum
Processor AMD Phenom X4
Graphical card ATI HD 4870
I have 2x1GB RAM 1066mhz, Corsair Twinx

Tonight we are playing together again adding another player. I ll reply further bugs.
Yes Avolutoin is weaker, me and one of my friend could manage to play against 6 medium bot players with AIVOLUTION activated but i did not check the commands are you aiv or whatssoever. We just defeated all of them in less than 10 minute with the 6 lowest level tanks... Only one of them was a little mode developped than others but not so much. most of them had built only 3 buildings so far, we had a complete base.
On 2.0.10, it was definitely way harder than this.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

soraoseka wrote:Only one of them was a little mode developped than others but not so much. most of them had built only 3 buildings so far, we had a complete base.
On 2.0.10, it was definitely way harder than this.
That fits. You were playing against the stock AI. Under notmal conditions winning against 6 AIV players is a very tough task.
soraoseka
Greenhorn

Post by soraoseka »

Buginator, There is an exact moment when the player names get cuts to 3 characters :
1. I create a multiplayer game
2. I select/change my name
3. I click on the "start server" button
4. Players can now connect but my name reseted to the three first characters (only Alphabetics characters were used ex: Haseo becomes Has).
I am always hosting and my friends does not seem to have that problem but i seen random players having to change their names after connecting to me sometimes. I also read on the forum i was not the only one to have this problem but it might have been solved after 2.1b4 (your trunk version)

Next crashes coming soon. It s night here... It ll take again 10 game restart to make it work i fear so...
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Troman wrote:
soraoseka wrote: - The AI seems to be WAY WEEKER than the original AI of 2.0.10
Or you can alternatively type

are you aiv?
in the game.
All AIs turn into AIV in both trunk and 2.1 here when I start with --mod=aivolution.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Per wrote:
Troman wrote: Or you can alternatively type

are you aiv?
in the game.
All AIs turn into AIV in both trunk and 2.1 here when I start with --mod=aivolution.
They *were* generated by a script, I think it was devurandom who changed it back not too long ago.
soraoseka
Greenhorn

Post by soraoseka »

I am not at home at the moment so i cannot try.
However the aivolution mode is like this on all the shortcuts automatically installed

--mod aivolution.wz
and not :

--mod=aivolution.wz
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

Per wrote:All AIs turn into AIV in both trunk and 2.1 here when I start with --mod=aivolution.
Not with beta 4 on windows. I have re-downloaded the windows version of beta 4 several days ago and can confirm that there is only 1 copy of AIV in the aivolution.wz, for layer 0 only.
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

im ALSO having this 3 letter problem in my games..

im NOT on vista either.. but old regular XP 32 bit.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

DFStormbringer wrote:im ALSO having this 3 letter problem in my games..

im NOT on vista either.. but old regular XP 32 bit.
This is *only* in beta 4 though right?
Have you tried trunk, or 2.1 nightly builds?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1664