Bugs I think are severe and persistent (with screenshots!)

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Bugs I think are severe and persistent (with screenshots!)

Post by Zarel »

Okay, so. I've played Warzone for a while. There have been a few persistent bugs I've seen, that I haven't said anything about yet.

So I just installed the latest nightly and started a one-player-skirmish game of 2v2 on Sk-Rush, to document all of the bugs I notice and find annoying. These are all from the same game, and these are mostly bugs I've observed since around 2.1 Beta 1:

1. The AI can build on burning oil resources.

I think I've seen someone else mention this. It's especially egregious because, if you're allied with an AI and you've just destroyed an enemy base, your AI ally will go and take the oil resources while they're still burning, and you can't do anything to stop it. Or even worse, when you get attacked and one of your oil derricks get destroyed, your AI ally will take it before you can.

(Feature suggestion: The AI shouldn't take oil resources its allies started with. This would fix the second problem.)

2. Tanks will sometimes refuse to repair.

Here, the top tank is not auto-repairing itself, even though it's stopped. I haven't figured out what circumstances this happens, but whenever I stop a bunch of damaged units, a few simply will not repair themselves. Pressing S will make it auto-repair for a moment, then stop again.

(Feature suggestion: Make it more obvious whether or not a tank is auto-repairing itself. Especially with the larger bodies, it's sometimes hard to tell.)

Here's a completely different bug. When multiple units set to 'retreat on heavy damage' retreat to a repair facility at once, only one will ever be repaired. Here, I'm manually selecting a unit and telling it to use the repair facility, but nothing happens. I need to tell it to move, then use the repair facility before it will react.

3. Flames sometimes have unlimited range - I've seen flames travel all the way across a map, instead of stopping.

All this is caused by a few flamer cyborgs at the center of this screenshot.

4. The AI can build hardened sensor towers before they've been researched.

On a related note, I don't think I've ever seen the AI build a regular sensor tower.

5. The AI uses whatever unit template I call 'Truck' as its own truck.

When I first saw this bug, I thought it was kind of cool how the AI had the same idea I had of making Retaliation Hover trucks. Then I realized that there was no way the AI had researched Retaliation yet, and the AI was just making whatever truck I had modified my own truck to be.

6. The AI gets itself into traffic jams.

The AI keeps all its units at "Retreat at Medium Damage". This is usually a good thing, but when its army is trying to go one direction in a chokepoint, and retreating units try to go another, everything just stops completely. It gets to the point where on some maps, you practically never get attacked because the AI can't get out of its base. This usually isn't a problem on Sk-Rush, but as you can see, it can still happen.

7. On multi-turret units, the secondary turret sometimes doesn't listen.

Here, I just told my pulse lasers to destroy an oil derrick. On the right two tanks, only the primary turrets fired, the secondary turrets didn't do anything. (This can be fixed by pressing S and telling the units to fire again, but is still a nuisance.)

Here, I'm telling my pulse lasers to attack the VTOL factory, which the primary turrets are doing, but the secondary turrets are still attacking the wall. (This cannot be fixed by pressing S and telling the units to fire again, although pressing S does stop both the primary and secondary turret if the unit is not at full health and auto-repair has been researched)

8. The unit AI attacks walls.

Looking at the second picture in #7, my tanks are attacking a wall. There's nothing behind the wall, and I haven't ordered them to attack it. Structures still don't do this, but units will for some reason attack walls even if there's something better in range. The AI does this, too.

So that's it.

I think I'm supposed to file these in a bug tracker, but bug trackers are scary. -_-
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Bugs I think are severe and persistent (with screenshots!)

Post by Per »

Thank you for the very detailed bug report. Finding a consistent way to reproduce bugs is usually half the work of fixing it. I have been trying to fix the repair centre bug for a while now, but whenever I set out to do it, the bug refuses to show itself.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Nice bug report! :)
For what it is worth, what you did couldn't be done @ the GNA tracker... your 'bug report' looks much better!

For the bugs...
1) I had a fix for this a loooooong time ago, I just forgot all about it. I wanted to confirm the findings with Troman, and it slipped my mind. Whoops! :stressed:
2) didn't know about it.
3) Seen it, it was on my TODO list.
4) didn't know about it.
5) didn't know about it.
6) seen it. I am thinking the fix would be to have retreating units travel on the left side, and the others on the right side. But that is easier said than done. I know, we can blame the map author! :D
7) heard about it. The multi-turret code is very ... well, it don't work well, and it really needs to be disabled IMO, until someone can fix the code.
8) never noticed it before, but for what it is worth, with the default AI, this is the priority:

Code: Select all

#define	NO_TARGET_VALUE			0
#define	DROID_TARGET_VALUE		1
#define	OTHER_TARGET_VALUE		2
#define	DEFENSE_TARGET_VALUE	3
#define	RESEARCH_TARGET_VALUE	4
#define	HQ_TARGET_VALUE			5
#define	OIL_TARGET_VALUE		6
#define	FACTORY_TARGET_VALUE	7
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

ok, 1 is fixed.
3 should also be fixed. (in the limited testing I did, it seems to work fine.)