Mac users, where are you guys?

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Re: MAC users, where are you guys?

Post by EvilGuru »

It is another build.

I'll try to get a link to it in a minute.

Regards, Freddie.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

http://download.gna.org/warzone/release ... a3-ari.dmg
(Even though it says "beta3", this is not the final version... We just had very little testing on MacOS till now, so we uploaded that already. It will be replaced with the real version later.)
twilight
Trained
Trained

Post by twilight »

the ari-version has the same black underground as the other one. unplayable.

I am more then happy to provide beta-testing, log files and so on, but since building
it still does not work on my machine I might have to wait :-(
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

twilight wrote:the ari-version has the same black underground as the other one. unplayable.

I am more then happy to provide beta-testing, log files and so on, but since building
it still does not work on my machine I might have to wait :-(
Building will work so long as you have Bison 2.3 installed.

See my instructions a few posts up for how to go about updating the version of Bison that ships with OS X. Should you need any help, don't hesitate to ask!

I suspect this is an Intel issue. However, it has been re-produced on 10.4 and 10.5 with different GPUs. If you can get it to compile, go into the Xcode build options and erase i386. It will run under emulation, and will probably not be playable, but it may help so far as finding out what is wrong goes.

Regards, Freddie.
twilight
Trained
Trained

Post by twilight »

I may try this when I have more time.

however: It did not compile although I already updated bison.

we did that a few posts above, remember?
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

twilight wrote:I may try this when I have more time.

however: It did not compile although I already updated bison.

we did that a few posts above, remember?
Ah yes. See if you can manually run Bison on the appropriate .y files. See if this gives the same error. The Xcode output you posted should give you all the info you need to do this.

Regards, Freddie.
Baum
Trained
Trained

Post by Baum »

I'm having the same black ground texture and fuzzy icons issue as twilight in both the beta3-ari build and today's trunk snapshot. The trunk snapshot is building without any problems after installing Bison 2.3 from the GNU website. I'm running OS X 10.4.11 on an Intel Mac.
twilight
Trained
Trained

Post by twilight »

Baum, how did you update bison? The way I did? Downloading the tarball, untar it,
./configure, make, make install and then copy the binary over the original OSX one?

Because that is the way I did it, and I still get the same errors as before when I
try to compile warzone using the "xcodebuild"-command :-(

And how did you update your warzone to the current version? I mean, trunk... when I check
out (subversion co) and it just gives me a few files, then it updated the repository, right?
Checked out version 5253 it says.

Code: Select all

svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/warzone/branches/2.1
U    2.1/src/droid.c
Checked out revision 5253.

Code: Select all

setenv USER thommy
    setenv USER_APPS_DIR /Users/thommy/Applications
    setenv USER_LIBRARY_DIR /Users/thommy/Library
    setenv USE_DYNAMIC_NO_PIC YES
    setenv VALID_ARCHS "m68k i386 sparc hppa ppc ppc7400 ppc970 ppc64 x86_64"
    setenv VERBOSE_PBXCP NO
    setenv VERSIONPLIST_PATH Warzone.app/Contents/version.plist
    setenv VERSION_INFO_BUILDER thommy
    setenv VERSION_INFO_STRING "\"@(#)PROGRAM:Warzone  PROJECT:Warzone-  DEVELOPER:thommy  BUILT:\" __DATE__  \" \" __TIME__ \"\""
    setenv WRAPPER_EXTENSION app
    setenv WRAPPER_NAME Warzone.app
    setenv WRAPPER_SUFFIX .app
    setenv XCODE_APP_SUPPORT_DIR /Developer/Library
    setenv XCODE_VERSION_ACTUAL 0250
    setenv XCODE_VERSION_MAJOR 0200
    setenv YACC /Developer/usr/bin/yacc
    /bin/sh -c cd\ \"${DERIVED_FILES_DIR}\"\ ||\ exit\ 1
bison\ -y\ -d\ -o\"${INPUT_FILE_BASE}\".tab.h\ \"${INPUT_FILE_PATH}\"\ ||\ exit\ 1
bison\ -y\ -d\ -o\"${INPUT_FILE_BASE}\".tab.c\ \"${INPUT_FILE_PATH}\"\ ||\ exit\ 1
/Users/thommy/2.1/macosx/../lib/framework/resource_parser.y:51: unrecognized: %name_prefix
/Users/thommy/2.1/macosx/../lib/framework/resource_parser.y:51:    Skipping to next %
/Users/thommy/2.1/macosx/../lib/framework/resource_parser.y:61: unrecognized: %destructor
/Users/thommy/2.1/macosx/../lib/framework/resource_parser.y:61:    Skipping to next %
** BUILD FAILED **
Evilguru:

I shortly looked into the bison-thing you said, but I can't find the tab.c nor tab.h file. Not even
if I invoke "find" and grep for the result on the command-line.

So, how would the command go for linux? Maybe I can adopt it if there is something I need
to change?

regards,

twilight
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Sadly I am still unsure what is causing it to malfunction on Intel-based macs. I do not own one myself (at least not yet), which makes debugging all the more difficult. Debugging output from Warzone doesn't help to rat out the issue. I'll be honest and say I am at a loss :(

twilight: Would you be able to have a go at building it using the Xcode application as opposed to the command line tool? It is a long shot, but you never know.

Regards, Freddie.
Baum
Trained
Trained

Post by Baum »

twilight, I downloaded the "Daily Trunk Snapshot" (http://svn.gna.org/daily/warzone-snapshot.tar.gz) from the download page. I had a few problems at first (I think your error output looks familiar...) but it eventually started working. I think the problem was that I didn't do the xcodebuild equivalent of `make clean` (which I guess is just `xcodebuild clean`) between builds, so you might want to try that or, if you download the tarred daily trunk snapshot, just delete the directory and re-untar it for a fresh build. I used the command `xcodebuild -project Warzone.xcodeproj -target Warzone -configuration Release` from the README.BUILD.txt file to build the snapshot.

It looks like your svn command updated your working copy of the 2.1 branch to the latest revision but you can use `svn update` for future updates--that way you don't need to remember the repository URI. I used your command to download the 2.1 branch and it built successfully for me.

I did install Bison 2.3 from the GNU website but it turns out that the command defaults to the 2.3 version I apparently downloaded through fink. If you're still having problems, I can try to use the version from the GNU site to see if I can reproduce your problem.

EvilGuru, the textures seem like they are still there (they can still be seen a little) but they aren't "lit up". The textures underneath the red LZ lights in single player are lit up, however, and the textures for trees seem to be fine (at least where I could see a few in multiplayer.

I'm not sure how much information you have on the problem but I can supply screenshots and other info if needed. I didn't see a bug report on the issue (but I could have missed it). Should one be opened?
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Me and Buggy have come up with a theory:

We believe that it is possible that the problems are due to tile illumination. This (if I recall from memory) makes use of a 'hack' to enable a 32-bit UDWORD (a colour) to be split into individual channels, done via a union. However, this union is endian dependant (so if it is ARGB or BGRA).

It is possible this endian detection code is not working as intended. As a result the illumination is not working correctly.

I will have some free time on Thursday -- so if someone has not eliminated it as a possibility I will take a look.

Regards, Freddie.
Baum
Trained
Trained

Post by Baum »

The problem for the dark textures turned out to be a variable (dotProduct) being an unsigned int and needing to be a signed int in the function calcTileIllum() in src/lighting.c . For some reason (if I remember correctly), the code built on Linux handled the conversion of the negative output of Vector3f_ScalarP() to the unsigned variable as intended, while the same code built on Intel OS X converted the output to zero, resulting in the low illumination value. The modified file is attached to the post (just the variable declaration was changed) and, as far as I can tell, the change from unsigned to signed shouldn't result in any integer overflows with the current code. The change was tested on Intel OS X and i386 Linux.

Also attached is a screenshot showing another problem with "mixed up" textures on Intel OS X that cropped up once I could see the tiles...
Attachments
Intel OS X texture bug
Intel OS X texture bug
lighting.c
trunk/src/lighting.c (Intel OS X dark texture fix)
(14.29 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Excellent!

I'll get Per (who is the residential expert with regards to this) to sign-off your patch and commit it ASAP. Now we just need some leads on the jumbled up tiles.

Regards, Freddie.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Baum wrote:Also attached is a screenshot showing another problem with "mixed up" textures on Intel OS X that cropped up once I could see the tiles...
That looks like the texture index for the tiles is wrong half a tile in one direction.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

EvilGuru wrote: I'll get Per (who is the residential expert with regards to this) to sign-off your patch and commit it ASAP. Now we just need some leads on the jumbled up tiles.
Fix committed to trunk and 2.1 branch. Will be in beta3 (the real one, when it happens).