Mac users, where are you guys?

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
I_S
Greenhorn

Re: MAC users, where are you guys?

Post by I_S »

This is my first guide, so it probably need some cleaning up, but here it is:

Compiling Warzone trunks using Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard)

1.) Obtain the iPhone Developer Tools from the iPhone Developer Site (iPhone Developer Membership Required) and install it.
2.) Download the Warzone trunk (if you haven't done so already) and decompress it.
3.) Download QuesoGLC 0.7.1 from it’s SourceForge Page and decompress it (optional).
4.) Download quesoglc_patch_0.diff (see bug 11940).
5.) Move the fontconfig and freetype folders and ft2build.h file into quesoglc-0.7.1/src, then rename quesoglc-0.7.1 to quesoglc and move to warzone/macosx/external (optional)
6.) Open terminal and cd your way to the warzone folder. Then run:
patch -p0 <path/to/quesoglc_patch_0.diff
Use if you have already tried to build once or if you followed optional steps 3 and 5
7.) cd to macosx, then run the build command in the README.BUILD.txt file.

Just as a note, the build will show many errors and warnings and sometimes fail to build when run the first time. Just run the build command again and it will build with little to no warnings. You will have to build twice if steps 3 and 5 are not done.
Last edited by I_S on 17 Jul 2008, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
Not around too much, being occupied with Sonic Hacking Scene at Sonic Retro
Baum
Trained
Trained

Post by Baum »

Iron Scorpion, the Xcode patch was only an attempt to fix the Xcode 3.0 problem (which I don't think it did). Using Xcode 3.1 instead solved this problem so I believe the patch is useless. If the patch is needed, however, I can try to get it included in the repository so that future people compiling Warzone on Leopard don't actually have to patch it themselves.

Unless I'm wrong, the Warzone build process already downloads QuesoGLC 0.7.1 so (except for applying the patch but see below) this step isn't needed.

I have a patch to the Xcode project file that automatically applies the QuesoGLC patch to the downloaded QuesoGLC source when Warzone is being built so the manual patching shoudn't be necessary. I wrote it a bit late last night so I just need to make sure it's sane and then I'll post it to the ML...

I still want to get that fontconfig header issue solved so building Warzone on Leopard doesn't feel like a hack. Instead of copying the files, would it be better to just do a few symlinks?

Thanks for the work, it will be nice to finally have a Leopard compile guide.

EvilGuru, I'm interested in becoming an OS X maintainer and posted on the ML (last week?) in response to Ari's request for help. Maybe another ML posting is in order?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

What exactly are the compile errors with fontconfig? Maybe you just need to set the include path?
Baum
Trained
Trained

Post by Baum »

It's an include path problem but from my setup on Tiger, everything looks okay with the Xcode file. I think it might have something to do with Xcode 3.1 trying to use "/Developer 3.1/" instead of "/Developer/" but I haven't looked into it enough yet.
I_S
Greenhorn

Post by I_S »

I recently reinstalled my Developer Tools so that the folder is named "Developer" instead of "Developer 3.1", and I'm going to rerun the compile using the latest trunk and see the results. With any luck, the fontconfig problem will be resolved. Mine was called "Developer 3.1" simply because at the time I installed it, I had multiple Developer Tool Sets, and one of them was already using "Developer" as a folder name.

It builds successfully if you patch QuesoGLC and your Developer Tools folder is named "Developer". You'll still have to build it twice so that QuesoGLC downloads so you can patch it. First build will fail unless you put QuesoGLC into the external folder and patch it before building.
Not around too much, being occupied with Sonic Hacking Scene at Sonic Retro
Baum
Trained
Trained

Post by Baum »

I_S wrote:It builds successfully if you patch QuesoGLC and your Developer Tools folder is named "Developer". You'll still have to build it twice so that QuesoGLC downloads so you can patch it. First build will fail unless you put QuesoGLC into the external folder and patch it before building.
This will be fixed soon so that QuesoGLC will automatically be patched on the first build.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Is there anyway, someone can build a beta 4 build?

We need to get some feedback from mac people about this.

We also need more mac testers & builders.

We *still* need to test the game with all platforms that we support! :3
twilight
Trained
Trained

Post by twilight »

Well, I did build it, but the problems with the graphic remain so it is not much fun to
play since everything looks weird.

Platform: Core2Duo, NVidia8600M GT, Tiger (4.11)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

twilight wrote:Well, I did build it, but the problems with the graphic remain so it is not much fun to
play since everything looks weird.

Platform: Core2Duo, NVidia8600M GT, Tiger (4.11)
Is it possible for you to try the first beta, and see if it has the same issues?

I don't recall Ari saying it had gfx problems with 2.0.x, so trying to find what version caused this, and then we can fix it.

Oh, and even if the gfx don't look correct, we need the netcode tested fully. We can fix the gfx problems when we get more info.
diego1609
New user

Post by diego1609 »

Buginator wrote:Is there anyway, someone can build a beta 4 build?

We need to get some feedback from mac people about this.

We also need more mac testers & builders.

We *still* need to test the game with all platforms that we support! :3
See viewtopic.php?f=1&p=18374#p18351
Baum
Trained
Trained

Post by Baum »

Buginator wrote: I don't recall Ari saying it had gfx problems with 2.0.x, so trying to find what version caused this, and then we can fix it.
I don't believe 2.0.x had the current graphics and cursor problems but it would be great if someone could narrow down the versions/revisions the problems started occurring on.

------------

Could someone with Leopard (or Tiger) please test out a patch for me (patch attached)? The patch patches the Xcode project file so that Bison 2.3 is automatically downloaded (to macosx/external/) and used during the Warzone build process. This should mean no more manual compilation and fiddling with Bison to get Warzone to build. It works correctly on my Tiger machine (Xcode 2.5 with the 2.1 branch) but I want to make sure it works correctly for everyone else.

To patch, open a terminal, go to the Warzone source directory, and type:

Code: Select all

patch -p0 < /path/to/xcode_bison_0.diff
Thanks,
Tim
Attachments
xcode_bison_0.diff
Automated Bison download patch
(11.6 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
twilight
Trained
Trained

Post by twilight »

I just got my hands on a 2.0.x build, and the texture-bug was not there!

I then found a beta1, where the illumination-bug is, so I coud not
see any ground-textures at all. Could not find a beta 2, but ever since
the illumination was fixed the weird-textures-bug came up.

So, maybe patch a beta 1 with the illumination-patch to see if the problem
is there, too?!
Baum
Trained
Trained

Post by Baum »

twilight wrote: So, maybe patch a beta 1 with the illumination-patch to see if the problem is there, too?!
Yeah, that sounds good. Do you need a patch for the illumination bug? I submitted the fix in a whole file rather than a patch for some reason and I don't know what other changes the file had between beta1 and the time it was submitted.
twilight
Trained
Trained

Post by twilight »

yeah, I don't have any beta1-tarballs here, and no patched files for that matter :-(
Baum
Trained
Trained

Post by Baum »

Beta 1 can be downloaded from the SVN repository:

svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/warzone/tags/2.1_beta1
The lighting patch is attached. Run the following command in the beta 1 directory to apply it:

patch -p0 < /path/to/beta1_lighting.diff
One problem you're probably going to have while installing is that the popt library will fail to download. If you have source for another release/revision, you can copy the archive "macosx/external/popt-1.10.4.tar.gz" from the other source to the beta 1 source or you can manually download popt-1.10.4.tar.gz from http://rpm5.org/files/popt/popt-1.10.4.tar.gz and move it to the macosx/external/ directory.