Co-operative poll

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)

How should co-operative mode be implemented?

Always have co-op enabled in team mode (no power shared)
10%
Make it a menu option to turn on/off
36%
New full co-op mode, share everything including power
46%
Co-op is not fun
3%
Other (please add a comment)
5%

Total votes: 106

themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Re: Co-operative poll

Post by themousemaster »

I'm just curious, but why couldn't we do "all of the above"?

Starcraft had this.

If you wanted to be a teammate with someone, but maintain a separate force, then you would choose player1, he would choose player2, and then you 2 would be set to the same "team".

If you wanted to be a teammate with someone, AND both control the same forces, then you would choose player 1, and he would ALSO choose player1.  Bam, dual-control.

And of course, if you want to be at each other's throats, then... you didn't do either of the above.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

themousemaster wrote: I'm just curious, but why couldn't we do "all of the above"?

Starcraft had this.

If you wanted to be a teammate with someone, but maintain a separate force, then you would choose player1, he would choose player2, and then you 2 would be set to the same "team".

If you wanted to be a teammate with someone, AND both control the same forces, then you would choose player 1, and he would ALSO choose player1.  Bam, dual-control.

And of course, if you want to be at each other's throats, then... you didn't do either of the above.
I guess we could have all that, but we lack the space & a good menu system to allow users to pick what they want.
It is also far easier to say 'Bam, dual-control' than to actually program it that way.  Lots of stuff would have to be tweaked/changed.

I was trying to get a feel on how players feel about the CO-OP concept, and looking at the poll, I can I now know a bit more how the forum people think it should be done.
and it ends here.
Sonsalt
Trained
Trained

Post by Sonsalt »

Coop is great fun, but there should be an option, not only to share energy, but also to combine research or not.

In skirmish I noticed that combined research causes especially with mods some weired problems, like camX boxes, or wrong research options.

It should be totally up to the player to share, and or combine his economy with the teammember.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Buginator wrote: I guess we could have all that, but we lack the space & a good menu system to allow users to pick what they want.
It is also far easier to say 'Bam, dual-control' than to actually program it that way.  Lots of stuff would have to be tweaked/changed.

I was trying to get a feel on how players feel about the CO-OP concept, and looking at the poll, I can I now know a bit more how the forum people think it should be done.
I know, I know.  And I doubt you have the source for Starcraft handy to read off of ;p.  Just saying that's how they did it; unit control was based on which "player" you were, and they didn't put any restriction on how many people could be the same "player", and it all worked out.  My brother and I had fun with this, what with me being the iron-wall defense while he was leading the assaults ;p.
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

Well, a Co-Op mode would be pretty good, you just need to implement it correctly.
Bring back...ducks!
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

Post by jaywalker_eidos »

Would this be a `new` multiplayer mode, or actually incorporated into the single player missions? sorry if its obvious and i've missed the point :)

As a multiplayer option its kinda half in there isnt it with teams etc, but agree it could be done better, with joint research facilities, and ability for repair units and the like to be shared and fix each other.

I dont think power should be shared or actual unit control (altho of course being able to allocate units to your partner is essential and also give `specifc` amounts of power rather then the current `fixed` amount)
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Shared unit control is not as chaotic as one might think. Age of Empires (along with Age of Empires 2) implemented this very mode, whereby two people would control a single team, so everything would be shared. It worked quite well actually.

It would almost certainly be a different mode, so something like: Share everything (two or more people controlling the *same* team/units) or share some things (like what we have with locked teams -- research, map view and additionally, research).

A co-operative campaign mode is something which I would like to see. From a technical standpoint, sharing everything is much harder than sharing some things. Saying that, I do have a list of changes which would need to be made to the networking code to facilitate this.

However, the networking side is quite simple, what would be harder is re-writing some of the game logic to accept that there is no longer a direct mapping between people and players (multiple people could play the same team).

Regards, Freddie.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Shared control was fun in Starcraft, and in LAN games we used to play it quite a bit. However, I am quite sure that shared control was not much used among the Starcraft playing crowd in general. Trying to find shared control games on Battle.net was near impossible, for example. In the Freeciv project, a lot of coding time was invested into shared control, and despite sounding like a really awesome feature, it was never used and eventually scrapped. So I am a bit sceptical of implementing full shared control in Warzone. More options for team play, like ability to give away buildings, might be a better investment of coding time.
Ursa
Trained
Trained

Post by Ursa »

I think it should be its own game mode.

To be fair though, if you don't trust someone you shouldn't be their ally
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

the first three options are excellent. have it that way. :3
craigengbrecht
Trained
Trained

Post by craigengbrecht »

I like the Co-op, and I really like the idea of having the ability to maybe select a function that allows shared energy, or research, or both.
AMD FX X8 3.88Ghz
16GB KVM 1333Mhz
ASUS M5A97
ASUS EAH 6850 1GB
3x ASUS 1920x1080 VW246H
1x 5000GB Primary
1x 1TB Internal
1x 3TB Internal
lone commander
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lone commander »

Well I have a game called Empire Earth 2... It has this function, you can control same units and such, but it's not a very desirable thing ... because some people might not agree with each other...

But other than that, I agree to the co-op mode, maybe even o it for campaign... ^^
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

lone commander wrote:Well I have a game called Empire Earth 2... It has this function, you can control same units and such, but it's not a very desirable thing ... because some people might not agree with each other...

But other than that, I agree to the co-op mode, maybe even o it for campaign... ^^
Campaign mode would have to be redesigned for that, since it would be *way* too easy. Not to mention the other technical problems.

I think I already mentioned this, but screen space & the GUI are the main things holding everything up.
Still thinking about this.
OvermindDL1
Trained
Trained

Post by OvermindDL1 »

In single-player, I think co-op would still work fine, just do not give the players anything extra, just let them control the same units, same buildings, same 'player' really.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

OvermindDL1 wrote:In single-player, I think co-op would still work fine, just do not give the players anything extra, just let them control the same units, same buildings, same 'player' really.
That would be chaos, and people would fight over the same units, and what to build, and all that.