For those that don't have menu text in the latest BETA 2.1 build

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

For those that don't have menu text in the latest BETA 2.1 build

Post by Buginator »

Thanks for testing this build.

I have removed the archive, until I can make some changes to see if it will work with more systems.
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 18 Mar 2008, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
and it ends here.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: For those that don't have menu text in the latest BETA 2.1 build

Post by Buginator »

In case you are wondering, the --configdir command line option, just allows the game to save all configuration info that specific folder, instead of the normal folder it uses.  This is a override.  After you run the game, you will see that in that formerly empty folder, it created all files needed for the game.  This is also another way to play your game if you ran out of room for your savegames.  Just create a new empty folder, and tell it where it is, and you should be set.  You can even copy the config file from the first folder into this, so you don't have to reset your preferences again.

The folder MUST be created first, or it will crash.

Once done playing with the test, it is safe to delete all the .dlls and the configdir and the etc folders, and of course the warzone2100ms.exe file.  Just do NOT install the .dlls into your system directory or any other besides the one you picked when you installed the beta.

Thanks for testing.
and it ends here.
Void
Greenhorn

Post by Void »

Hey there Buginator, thanks for the link. Sorry, was afk in the channel. Well, this one didn't work for me either. Running that .exe is even worse, not by much though.  The original beta files, for some strange reason, I see only one text letter per menu screen, and with the new files and .exe with this posts .7z file, it makes it so that one single letter per screen I was seeing is now no more.  :P
Last edited by Void on 18 Feb 2008, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

thanks for the test patch. sorry to hear it didn't work for you Void. It solved my problem though (I had no text just blocks).

attached screenshots of error and test below
Attachments
wz2100texttest.JPG
wz2100texttest.JPG (14.1 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
wz2100texterror.JPG
wz2100texterror.JPG (14.38 KiB) Viewed 7423 times
Void
Greenhorn

Post by Void »

Glad to hear you have yours working Verminus. Here are some pics of how mine looks. Oh, and when I go to some screens, or use the back arrow to return to others, sometimes there isn't even one lil' bit of text.

Below is a picture of the Main Menu (first picture) and when I click the C for Single Player Campaign (second picture).
Attachments
single_campaign.jpg
single_campaign.jpg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 7453 times
main_menu.jpg
main_menu.jpg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 7457 times
Mezoth
New user

Post by Mezoth »

I still have issues with this patch.  The 2.1 build looks like Verminus's first picture, the test build has no text at all.

I have WinXP sp2 32bit patched up to about 3 weeks ago.
Videocard: NVidia 8800GTS (g92) 512meg running video driver version 169.06 (I will update to the 169.21 version in a few minutes and try it, if it fixes I will post again.)

Edit: The new drivers did not fix the issue.
Last edited by Mezoth on 22 Feb 2008, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
redfalg
New user

Post by redfalg »

hi guys just dl this game from internode coz i'm bored. Any way just installed and started to play the game i got the same problem as
?topic=1398.0
my screen looks the same as Verminus
how do i change it so i can read the menu, coz square blocks r no fun. and tell me in the most simple, step by step way!  :'( :) ;) :D ;D :( ??? :P :-[ :-\ :-*
i'm running XP with every driver uptodate on a computer which is reasonably good.
ouch
Trained
Trained

Post by ouch »

The devs here seem to consist of mainly linux hippies, as such they use prebuilt sections code called libraries that were designed for linux and then ported for windows use. Now usually all these libraries play nice with one another, but for some reason this time around the library they are useing to control the fonts is not working properly with windows.

and so we have to wait for them to fix it.

Now if we can only get them to stop stareing at thier hands in amazement while reciting various GNU licenses around camp fires... ;D
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

lol, ouch.

Actually we are no Linux hippies nor are we not working for (or even against) Windows users.
In fact I remember me writing a patch to fontconfig so our font does not have to be installed in C:\windows\fonts and to remove the need for a Unix like /etc/fonts/ directory... Just FYI.
We played with different versions of QuesoGLC (the fontrendering library we use, which ought to be crossplatform). 0.6.5, the version which works on Linux (while 0.7.0 does not), seems to be broken for Windows people, too. So we sadly have to wait for the maintainer of that library, bcoconni, to have a look.

Btw: "as such they use prebuilt sections code called libraries". Those exist on Windows, too. :P Though there they are not "shared objects" (.so), but "dynamic link libraries" (.dll). The names for static libraries (compiled directly into the binary/executable, which is what I am doing for releases) are the same again if you use GCC: "linker archive" (.a), while with MSVC it is just "library" (.lib).
(Just in case you were interested...)
Last edited by DevUrandom on 23 Feb 2008, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
ouch
Trained
Trained

Post by ouch »

DevUrandom wrote: Actually we are no Linux hippies nor are we not working for (or even against) Windows users.
heh, I know that, I was just giving you guys a hard time. ;)
DevUrandom wrote: Btw: "as such they use prebuilt sections code called libraries". Those exist on Windows, too. :P Though there they are not "shared objects" (.so), but "dynamic link libraries" (.dll). The names for static libraries (compiled directly into the binary/executable, which is what I am doing for releases) are the same again if you use GCC: "linker archive" (.a), while with MSVC it is just "library" (.lib).
(Just in case you were interested...)
Yes, I was trying to get him to understand what libraries meant without getting too technical.

hey, what IDE (if any) or compiler do you guys normally use? I use (depending on the project of course) MSVC9, msvc6, mingw/codeblocks
C01eMaN
Trained
Trained

Post by C01eMaN »

yeah i have the same bug

i have a nvida geforcefx 5200, tried several versions of drivers for the card thinking it was the card screwing up lol

glad to see my ageing hardware aint *dead* just yet
Im Addicted To Warzone!!!!!!!
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

ouch wrote: hey, what IDE (if any) or compiler do you guys normally use? I use (depending on the project of course) MSVC9, msvc6, mingw/codeblocks
KScope + Yakuake + GCC + GDB
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

redfalg wrote: hi guys just dl this game from internode coz i'm bored. Any way just installed and started to play the game i got the same problem as
?topic=1398.0
my screen looks the same as Verminus
how do i change it so i can read the menu, coz square blocks r no fun. and tell me in the most simple, step by step way!  :'( :) ;) :D ;D :( ??? :P :-[ :-\ :-*
i'm running XP with every driver uptodate on a computer which is reasonably good.
Whoops, didn't mean to lock the topic, Kamaze (or a mod), if you can merge this back into the other thread that he lists, it would be appreciated.  Also unlock it.  :-[

//Done

There really is no straight answer to this.  If there was, it would have been fixed.
It works on some systems, and doesn't on others.  At this point in time, not really sure why.  The only thing we can say is it is either a quesoGLC or fontconfig issue.
It is being looked into.
ouch wrote: The devs here seem to consist of mainly linux hippies, as such they use prebuilt sections code called libraries that were designed for linux and then ported for windows use. Now usually all these libraries play nice with one another, but for some reason this time around the library they are useing to control the fonts is not working properly with windows.
and so we have to wait for them to fix it.
Now if we can only get them to stop stareing at thier hands in amazement while reciting various GNU licenses around camp fires... ;D
*cough*LOL*cough*

The worse part is I can't replicate the !@#!@#@$%@#$@ issue on my system, so it is very hard to debug.
I even tried 2 different XP systems, and it works fine.
Last edited by DevUrandom on 23 Feb 2008, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
and it ends here.
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

I noticed this issue when I compiled the SVN source a few weeks before the public Beta was released (those present on IRC can probably testify to this... not that that's necessary ;)) but I haven't checked since. I'll run a test this Monday on my home machine (and pro'ly my 'top as well)
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

Just a quick update, got my Linux machine (Ubuntu Gutsy) back up today, and built the 2.1beta1 from src, and the menu text was perfect, no surprises there, so on a random thought i decided to try the windows installer on wine (0.9.56 fresh install) and it gave me the same problem as my WinXP pro SP2. (Blocks instead of text)