Chat console only accepts one character

Our old place to report Bugs, it's not used anymore. To report bugs, please read this topic.
krushia
Greenhorn

Chat console only accepts one character

Post by krushia »

This bug has been reported by someone else on the bug tracker
https://gna.org/bugs/?8780

Warzone2100 Version
Warzone 2100 - Version 2.0.6 - Built Apr  3 2007
This is a Packman build, i586

Operating System
Suse 10.0 x86_64
2.6.13-15.13-smp
Xorg Version 6.8.2
Warzone is started from xterm on a separate X session with Openbox 3 WM
... dunno if my primary X setup matters? (KDE 3.6.x latest, Composite extension)

Hardware Information
AMD64 X2 4800+
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Video:
Nvidia 7800 GTX 256MB
2.1.0 NVIDIA 97.46

Audio:
NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xdcefd000, irq 22
ALSA Version 1.0.13

Warzone2100 Configuration
need anything here?

Bug Description
I hit "t" and a little cursor shows up in the bottom-left.  I then proceed to type and it only remembers the last character I type...  for example:  I type "abcdef" and hit enter, then my message goes out as "f".  It seems like the string is either being erased before each keystroke, or there is a problem with a pointer to the position of the next character not incrementing.

I wonder if it is a 64 bit problem?
krushia
Greenhorn

Re: Chat console only accepts one character

Post by krushia »

After building from source it is fixed.  I suspect it is a problem with a certain dependency version, as I had to do a huge amount of package changes before it would compile without lib errors (the Packman RPM I was using before apparently has most of these statically linked).

While on the topic, I think it's fair to point out that Warzone2100 has a lot of painful dependencies, and it would be EXTREMELY helpful if someone could put together a static source download.  I had to change a lot of my 64bit libs to 32bit, broke a few other applications in the process, and it took over 2 hours of package untangling to get the thing to build.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

So the AutoPackage did not work for you? In theory it should resolve all its dependencies automatically...
And further: I don't think I can build such a binary, since then I would need to recompile my complete system. Would be extremely painful and hard to track down whether all libs are correctly included.
krushia
Greenhorn

Post by krushia »

Nope, AutoPackage never worked.  I had to do some static linking of libSDL_net and libphysfs because I couldn't get the 32bit in my Suse distro.

I don't think a static source would be too much of an issue.  By static I mean include dependency sources in a directory, and use them if proper shared binaries aren't found on the computer.  The big issue is makefiles, as I know some of the dependencies (like physfs) use ccmake and other weird stuff.  The quick and dirty solution is to include prebuilt .a and .so files compiled for i386.

In my case the problem is Suse doesn't allow installing BOTH 32/64 bit versions of some libs (especially picky with devel packages).  If Warzone2100 could compile for x86_64 then we wouldn't be having this conversation :)
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

If you are that deep into it already, you could also try compiling the SVN version. That just a bit more crashy. ;)
PhysFS < 1.1.1 doesn't use CMake. Just ordinary Autotools.
That quick and dirty solution you talk about is the one I don't think I am able to provide... A static build requires me to have all required libs in a form in which I could give them away. Which is not true here, on my Gentoo system.
Providing the .so files would result in exactly the same problem.
And AutoPackage doesn't yet support x86_64, which is pretty sad, I know...
krushia
Greenhorn

Post by krushia »

I'll work on a dependency tarball.  Is anyone still working on the x86_64 issues?  Maybe I can help there too (a big stress on the maybe... I program MCUs/PLCs for a living, not much for game programming).

I should probably move my chatter into the dev forum since apparently I fixed the original topic "bug".  I still don't know what fixed it though, and it was strange because everything else worked fine in the game.  If someone wants to tinker, the RPM that I witnessed the issue with can be found here http://packman.links2linux.org/package/ ... 2100/24433.  I can't yet determine if it is a problem with the RPM contents or one of my shared libs.