Multiplayer: Crashing out (need instructions on data collection)

Our old place to report Bugs, it's not used anymore. To report bugs, please read this topic.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Multiplayer: Crashing out (need instructions on data collection)

Post by themousemaster »

I'd like to give more information, but it appears my system is not cooperating with me at all.

This (so far) only happens to me on map Great Rift T1

I've gotten an hour into the map before, though sometimes I'm no more than 5 minutes into the map before crashing.

No option of saving an error file presents itself to me; only the generic Windows XP "would you like to send an error report to Microsoft" message.

I click on the details of the Microsoft error message option, and it states it will include a specific data file to Send to Microsoft; however, that file is said to reside in "C:\DOCUME~1\Adam\LOCALS~1\Temp\b022_appcompat.txt".  That directory does not exist on my system, so I cannot obtain that file to upload to here.

I have now received this error both times trying 2.0.6_pre version of WZ, (though I got this error a half dozen times on 2.0.5).

I don't know what else to say.  If anyone can give step-by-step instructions on how I can "force" WZ to generate a file for upload, I'll do it.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: Multiplayer: Crashing out (need instructions on data collection)

Post by DevUrandom »

Please try the attached exe and see if it creates a app.exe.mdmp file. You should try that from the console, otherwise you might have trouble finding the file. (This is just a very tiny demo to test whether your system can create Minidumps at all.)

The exe was made from the following C code:

Code: Select all

#include <windows.h>
#include "dbghelp.h"

LONG WINAPI WindowsExceptionFilter(EXCEPTION_POINTERS* pExceptionInfo)
{
    HANDLE hFile = CreateFile( "app.exe.mdmp", GENERIC_WRITE, FILE_SHARE_WRITE, NULL, CREATE_ALWAYS, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL );
    MINIDUMP_EXCEPTION_INFORMATION eInfo = { GetCurrentThreadId(), pExceptionInfo, FALSE };

MiniDumpWriteDump( GetCurrentProcess(), GetCurrentProcessId(), hFile, MiniDumpNormal, &eInfo, NULL, NULL );

CloseHandle(hFile);

return(EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_SEARCH);
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    SetUnhandledExceptionFilter(WindowsExceptionFilter);

*(int*)NULL = 0x0;

return 0;
}
Some technical details:
As you say that you don't even get the "Warzone crashed unexpectedly, would you like to save a diagnostic file?" MessageBox,
your system either doesn't execute "SetUnhandledExceptionFilter(windowsExceptionHandler)" correctly or it crashes in this code:

Code: Select all

LPCSTR applicationName = "Warzone 2100";

char miniDumpPath[MAX_PATH], resultMessage[MAX_PATH];

// Write to temp dir, to support unprivileged users
	if (!GetTempPathA( MAX_PATH, miniDumpPath ))
		strcpy( miniDumpPath, "c:\\temp\\" );
	strcat( miniDumpPath, "warzone2100.mdmp" );
For both I don't see a reason...
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

The .exe code you supplied me creates a file called app.exe.mdump (though it doesn't prompt me for it, it just goes ahead and does it).  Fize size of roughly 9KB.

I've attached the file, just for the heck of it.
Attachments

DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Ok, so the theoretic part works...
Maybe something inside WZ interfers with this thing... I currently have no idea.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I stated earlier that I cannot copy the file that MS says it creates because it doesn't exist... But since I can see the (extremely huge) detail page, would you like for me to copy and paste that page into a wordpad document to upload next time it happens?  Or wouldn't that help any?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

That would help, yes.
But afaik Microsoft was so nice to prevent copying that page... I think you can't mark the text at all.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Yes, I just noticed, you are correct.

I wrote down the top 4 items:

Code: 0xc0000005
Record: 0c0000000000000000
Flags:  0x00000000
Address: 0x000000000044811b

After that, it lists about 32 individual component statuses (with Warzone2100 being the first) and after those are the 20 billion lines of Hex-coded memory values.  Forgive me for not manually writing any of those down ;p.

I noticed a couple other things this last attempt, some graphical glitches I hadn't noticed previously:

1)  The minimap in the lower right normally has unexplored areas being a semi-tranparent blue color, but when I move towards the center of the map, that color turns into a deep opaque blue.  When I leave the center of the map, it reverts to semi-transparent.
2)  Smoke puffs from damaged structures/vehicles operate the same way.  In some parts of the near-mid map, the puffs of smoke become totally opaque, then revent to semi-transparent as I move the screen.
3)  As soon as the crash occurrs, the gamma level of the game drops to about 1/3 its normal value (not that it matters, as the game is 1 second away from self-closing anyway)

I'll check my video drivers, but I'm all but certain they are the most recent.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Ok, now it gets really weird...
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Tried it again today.  Same result:

Code: 0xc0000005
Record: 0x0000000000000000
Flags:  0x00000000
Address: 0x000000000044811b

I also this time decided to write down the information under the warzone2100.exe description:

Module 1
warzone2100.exe
Image Base:  0x00400000    Image Size: 0x00000000
Checksum: 0x00a36d83      TimeStamp:  0x45eeb72a

Version Info
Signature:  feef04bd
StrucVer:  00010000
FileVer:  2.0:5.99
ProdVer:  2.0:5.99
Flagmask:  00000000
Flags:  00000000
FileType:  00000001
Subtype:  00000000
Filedata:  00000000:00000000

The File Ver says 2.0:5.99; however, when I load the game up, the text written vertically in the bottom right of the screen says version 2.0.6.  Not sure if that means anything.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

The text you should read "2.0.6_pre" to be exact. "x.y.5.99" means the same to us as "x.y.6_pre". It has to be this way, because the Windows Versionstring has to consist only of numbers.
What might be interesting to us is a "callstack" or "backtrace" or something similar. Most other things wont help us at all.
When you decide to type the callstack by hand, the numbers have to be very correct. If any of them is wrong it renders the affected address (0x...) useless... The stack may be large, but it should be enough if we get the 1st 5 or 10 addresses.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Is the callstack the part that looks like a bunch of memory address followed by a bunch of hex values and periods?

If so, I'll try and get the first values... as many as I can write down before I get bored ;p
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Could be... Thought maybe there is some description in that textfile...
The hexnumbers should be enough.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

The textfile doesn't exist though, wherever it says it's creating it doesn't exist ;p.

In any event, WZ2100 may be off the hook here.  Extremely weird problems have started to plague my computer, so I'm no longer willing to bet this has anything to do with the program.

Warcraft III will load onto my computer from CD, but when I insert the CD to play it, it spins the CD for 5 seconds, then asks me to insert the CD.

Diablo II will play for 15 minutes, at which point it will crash out.  After crashing, my internet connection stops functioning until I restart my computer.

On Steam, I cannot load up the Natural Selection game from the Steam menu without a crash; however, loading the game by placing a shortcut on my desktop first works.

And just today, My computer refused to turn on.  Only now (8PM EST) did it even come on for me to type this message.

So until I get some work done on my machine, I'm going to stop posting about this "bug"  ;p.
Infidelus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Infidelus »

As there's a post here already about this problem, I'll add to it as opposed to creating a new one.

Me and a friend have been playing WZ again since finding this site a week ago.  We are, however, both seeing random multiplayer crashes in the 2.0.5 version.

We updated to the 2.0.6 version in the hope these crashes would go away, but they actually seem even more prevalent now.  The game was crashing consistently within about an hour of starting.

We eventually went back to the 2.0.5 version as that crashed less often (although it still crashed eventually).

I've attached the dump file that was created by one of the 2.0.6 crashes.  Hopefully it'll mean something to the devs.
Attachments

DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

You used the installer I uploaded on Saturday? At least that's what it looks like from looking at the timestamps:
Your exe: Sat Mar 31 18:04:16 2007
Final exe: Sun Apr  1 11:08:11 2007

As your exe is different from the one I got and I can't recreate the old one anymore (of course I deleted it... *sigh*), the Minidump is useless.
There are 2 possibilities of which the 1st one is probably more convenient:
1. You send me your exe (don't forget to zip it up,. I recommend 7zip, because it gives the smallest size)
2. You download and install the current installer and create another Minidump