Yellow Screen with the blank text

Our old place to report Bugs, it's not used anymore. To report bugs, please read this topic.
godnecromancer
New user

Yellow Screen with the blank text

Post by godnecromancer »

Bug in version 2.0.5:

When I access the screen of objectives, appears a yellow screen with the blank text of the objective and later that I press keyboard key ESC, appears the correct screen of objective with the image of deep without problems. It has as to remove this screen before yellow?

My machine:

Kubuntu 6.10
Kernel 2.6.17-11-generic
Drive Nvidia 1.0-9746
Geforce 6600GT
P4 2.4 GHZ
1 GB RAM
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Yellow Screen with the blank text

Post by cybersphinx »

That's where the videos were shown, just press escape to get by it. (Should probably be removed, since we don't have videos to play, and the subtitles are shown in the box afterwards again...)
We want information... information... information.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

I tried to remove it a while ago... It leaded to the ugly crashes you experienced in 2.0.4. Thus I reverted it again. Maybe later we find a better solution than the one I came up with at that time.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

What kind of crashes? Easy to reproduce? Any links to older discussions of that?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Very easy to reprocude: Start a campaign game, in the 1st mission move your units out of your base, wait a while. The following cutscene is ended by a crash. Maybe you can find more info in older posts on the mailinglist.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Simple solution: in src/seqdisp.c:514 add an immediate "return FALSE;" to seq_UpdateFullScreenVideo. No crashes here. The difficult part is finding out what parts of the sequence stuff are now useless.

EDIT: return TRUE in seq_StartFullScreenVideo (src/seqdisp.c:402) works better.
Last edited by cybersphinx on 15 Feb 2007, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

I thought that, too. It turned out to be not true... Issues arised later on. Maybe they are now not as obvious as at that time. Whatever you do, it needs to be very very thoroughly tested...
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

What kind of issues? I couldn't find anything on the mailing list, any pointer when that was?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

I think it was around 2.0.4... If I remember correctly, I introduced that feature into 2.0.4 and had to take it out after the release. But maybe it was even before that. You could also have a look at the bugtracker, even though I couldn't find anything immediately, I think there was a bugreport on it.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Yeah, I found a post here, and some SVN revisions (67 seemed to introduce the bug, 266, 304, 329, and 330 fixed it). https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?6735 has a savegame attached, that hangs at the second intelligence window... The question is, how compatible are savegames between releases? I saved the game in the first mission, when the video is triggered, but not shown yet, and that doesn't hang. But that's just one briefing, not two successive ones... Is there an earlier point in the game with two briefings? Playing to campaign three might take a while...
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

cybersphinx wrote: Yeah, I found a post here, and some SVN revisions (67 seemed to introduce the bug, 266, 304, 329, and 330 fixed it). https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?6735 has a savegame attached, that hangs at the second intelligence window... The question is, how compatible are savegames between releases? I saved the game in the first mission, when the video is triggered, but not shown yet, and that doesn't hang. But that's just one briefing, not two successive ones... Is there an earlier point in the game with two briefings? Playing to campaign three might take a while...
Not sure about the savegame compatibility for the 2.0.x branches. You might however want to try the "let me win" cheat
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh