Warzone 2100 can't begin game. Mac OS X, Intel Macbook intel core duo1.

Our old place to report Bugs, it's not used anymore. To report bugs, please read this topic.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100 can't begin game. Mac OS X, Intel Macbook intel core duo1.

Post by Kamaze »

Sorry but this is no support forum.
We have our reasons to want the user to register.

For example, contacting and to protect ourself.
And if you are a registered user, you can easily edit your old post.
(No 3 reposts)

On the other hand, users have the ability to cancel their membership anytime.

I'll move it for once to the troubleshooting forum.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
RayfenWindspear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RayfenWindspear »

I am also having this same problem on my mac (NOT Intel). Another symptom that I'll add  is that when I tried deleting it (the app file) it won't delete it because "OpenAL" is still in use. Guess it crashes without actually knowing that it has crashed or something. Just for the record,  I am using a Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz, 1.25Gb RAM, running OSX v. 10.4.8. I'll keep tinkering with stuff to see if it is just being dumb.
-RayfenWindspear-
RayfenWindspear
Rookie
Rookie

Ok, tried a whole bunch of random stuff and still havent gotten it to work. I tried actually installing OpenAL but to no avail... also tried overwriting that framework inside the app with the new one. Not sure if it will help but I could c/p the useful pieces of the crash report if you want...
-edit- oops, sry if this should have been a bug report... saw the first post and got carried away  :-\
-RayfenWindspear-
iamtheari
Greenhorn

Post by iamtheari »

Networking is one of the items on the Mac that hasn't been worked on yet.  There are endianness issues up the wazoo and probably other things that cause network games to crash when Macs are involved.  Also, if you look at existing bug reports, Intel Macs are not supported at this time.  I am the only developer working on the Mac port and I don't have an Intel Mac.  Sorry.  If you want to contribute to the development effort, let me know.
RayfenWindspear
Rookie
Rookie

What specific knowledge is required to help out with the mac version? I have experience and currently have a lot of free time.
-RayfenWindspear-
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

what knowledge do you have right now?  coding /programing wise. ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

I think if you can code, know the C language or even just know how to use GDB or any other debugging tool, you are outfitted good for the task. :)
iamtheari
Greenhorn

Post by iamtheari »

The Mac port is fairly easy to build, in general.  I use DarwinPorts to install the necessary libraries beyond what Tiger gives you.  There is a README.BUILD.txt in the macosx directory of the subversion sources that you can look at for more information.

What needs to be done with the Mac port is this:
1. Fix existing bugs (currently loading/saving games is broken, apparently due to changes in how script state is saved; and there may be other crashes that occur)
2. Create an Xcode project to build it in a more robust way.  This would ideally include Xcode projects for all required libraries so that they are turned into frameworks that can be used by Warzone, to make the whole process of building them easier.  Also, having Xcode projects for everything would make it much, much easier to create universal binaries.

I lack Xcode experience so I haven't begun #2 at all.  #1 will probably require use of saved games from the Windows or Linux ports to help track down which things are being broken.  Usually, these are endianness issues - the majority of my work in porting the game to the Mac consisted of endian-fixing code in appropriate places.  In fact, I just added an endianness fix last week that makes the colors come out right (you may have noticed that many colors are not correct in 2.0.5 and earlier).

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.  If only I had waited a year to get my PowerMac, I would have a Mac Pro instead. :)
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

well, i just briefly looked at the wikipedia article for xcode: if it makes a quick and stable mac build, then all the better. question is, though, are these files auxiliary to the current files? if so, they can be included in svn without creating a seperate branch, but if they overwrite some stuff, or otherwise get in the way of the other builds, then they'd obviously couldn't be coupled with the main source. my guess is they won't get in the way, so it should be a good thing. other thought: will you have to maintain and update the xcode files every time a new version of the source is used, or will they do that themselves, or would it otherwise be not-applicable to the way xcode works? i've dealt with some build tools that are pretty picky if they're not there during the entire process: i just hope for your sake they adapt well to source changes.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

I'm assuming all that would be required for Xcode is to have some kind of additional project file? If so I would not mind at all having it in there.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
RayfenWindspear
Rookie
Rookie

Cool, thx for the info. I have experience in C++ and a few other things but its been a while. I'll read up again on what I need to since I have nothing better to do and hopefully I will be able to help out a little bit... or more if I get hooked.
-RayfenWindspear-
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Hopefully you will get. ;)
viciouslime
Greenhorn

Post by viciouslime »

Is there any progress on this? I just tried buliding warzone for anintel mac myself and after finally getting it to build, it seg faults as soon as the game starts :(

Has anyone got it working on a intel mac?
Richie
New user

Post by Richie »

Hi
I had also the problem with a crashing game when starting a new campaign under mac os x 10.4 ppc (with NVIDIA-Card). The menu works just fine but when starting a new game the loading screen apears and loads everything and then just when the game should start it crashes. gdb shows to me that the problem lies within pie_RemainingPasses() (piedraw.c). Further investigations showed to me, that the problem is in pie_DrawShadows(): The call to glActiveStencilFaceEXT(GL_BACK) causes the segfault. This call is only made if stencil_one_pass() returns true. I simple return always false in stencil_one_pass() and the game works!

Here is my version of stencil_one_pass():

Code: Select all

static BOOL stencil_one_pass(void) 
{
	static BOOL initialised = FALSE;
	static BOOL return_value;

if (!initialised) {
		return_value =    check_extension("GL_EXT_stencil_two_side")
			       && check_extension("GL_EXT_stencil_wrap");
#ifdef __APPLE__
		return_value = FALSE;
#else
		glActiveStencilFaceEXT = (PFNGLACTIVESTENCILFACEEXTPROC) SDL_GL_GetProcAddress("glActiveStencilFaceEXT");
#endif
		initialised = TRUE;
	}

return return_value;
}
Perhaps a dev can integrate this in trunk.

thx