AI builds buildings and blocks its own path out of the base

Our old place to report Bugs, it's not used anymore. To report bugs, please read this topic.
l_0rd Mach3ll0
Greenhorn

AI builds buildings and blocks its own path out of the base

Post by l_0rd Mach3ll0 »

Warzone2100 Version
2.0.5 stable
Operating System
Win XP Pro
Hardware Information
Radeon x700

Bug Description
Ok.. so I start this 2P startup map with T1 techs and leave the slider on medium difficulty. The game starts, and I scout ahead with trucks. The enemy sends a few machine gun tanks, so I build some machine gun bunkers. I press the enemy back and then build more defense. The AI doesn't send any tanks my way, except for one or two every 5 minutes. I'm like "This is way too easy." So I'm wondering why they aren't sending any tanks through. I finally get VTOLs researched and scout their base. Low and behold:

Yeah.
LOL
Mr. Pig
Rookie
Rookie

Re: AI builds buildings and blocks its own path out of the base

Post by Mr. Pig »

Nice mach - I thought you had an x800? *dances with my GeForce 7900GTX*
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

LOL

Hmmm... Is this only a pathfinding issue? Or is it that the pathfinding portion doesn't communicate with the building portion? Or is it an issue with not enough space between buildings?
karmazilla
Trained
Trained

Post by karmazilla »

Hehe... the AI could do a better job of city planning... :)
DevUrandom wrote: is it an issue with not enough space between buildings?
I think this is it.
l_0rd Mach3ll0
Greenhorn

Post by l_0rd Mach3ll0 »

DevUrandom wrote: LOL

Hmmm... Is this only a pathfinding issue? Or is it that the pathfinding portion doesn't communicate with the building portion? Or is it an issue with not enough space between buildings?
that's for me to ask and for you to find out ::)
karmazilla wrote: Hehe... the AI could do a better job of city planning... :)
is it an issue with not enough space between buildings?
I think this is it.
well yeah.. if there were spaces between ALL buildings, then there wouldnt be a problem
but then again, we need defense structures built in lines so that the enemy doesnt try to evade it by just zooming through (like hover tanks)
and, if this was done, base arrangement wouldn't be as compact as it could be, which calls for larger bases, which calls for modifying all maps.. yuk
Mr. Pig wrote: Nice mach - I thought you had an x800? *dances with my GeForce 7900GTX*
nah it was too expensive back when i did my overhaul :P
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

actually.... ;D it is the fault of the map maker.  when your placing gates - you have to make sure they are not near your exits/entrances.

i have a graphic on this in the map tutorial - if your wanting to study it.... it was written by others (cant remember the names off hand).

and when your finished reading that - ask me about the gateways experiments i was running in 2005 and 2006.... ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

Lol I've had situations like that before but with even more units. Imagine what happens if there are also stronger units in the swarm. Imagine the blocking buildings getting destroyed.  ::)
l_0rd Mach3ll0
Greenhorn

Post by l_0rd Mach3ll0 »

yeah, I destroyed the factory and they all came pouring through

then I'm like "WHY DID I DO THAT OMG!"
*builds rapid defense*