8c-MountainLake

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
NoQ
Special
Special

8c-MountainLake

Post by NoQ »

That's my new big (192x192) 8-player map avaliable both as low-power (50 oils total) and high-power (almost 5x oil) version (8c-MountainLake2 is high-power). I still think it needs some polishing aka eyecandy, but i'm out of ideas now, so just feel free to comment what we have :)

You have to both repel your two neighbors and use hovers to fight for the central island. Controlling the center does not only give you extra oil, but also allows you to get to these highgrounds near the enemy bases (and harass their oil derricks that are pretty close to it). That is, this map is somehow designed for no-VTOL games.

upd: now with gateways!
wz2100-20100707_130756-main.png
wz2100-20100707_130756-main.png (69.94 KiB) Viewed 10829 times
8c-MtnLake-1-02.wz
(66.54 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
8c-MountainLake2.wz
(68.39 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
Last edited by NoQ on 26 Oct 2010, 09:11, edited 7 times in total.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: 8c-MountainLake

Post by JDW »

It's a very interesting map. Very interesting! Thanks :)
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Boris
Trained
Trained

Post by Boris »

not bad.. But This map a not for ai players.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Boris wrote:not bad.. But This map a not for ai players.
Skirmish AI is working fine, are you talking about MP AI?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Just uploaded a high-power version. It has 20 oils in base, so you'd still want to fight for some more in the beginning.

Thanks for your replies!

I agree: The AI has enough space to build up his base, but that's pretty much the best thing i can say about him. After all, this map is "inspired by Squared" :D
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

This looks like an improved take on the TokenRing map. I invite you to submit it to Addons.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

hao, just a quick suggestion.

If you want the A.I. players to build defenses in particular spots you need to lay Gateways in those areas. Right now you have not placed any. Placing GWs cannily will make the A.I. Players more challenging for the human players to fight against.

Your map crafting is well done and it clearly shows your care and attention to details. I prefer to play 2 and 4 player maps but I can still appreciate a good 8 player map. :)

- Regards, RV :ninja:

Merowingg
Regular
Regular

MountainLake Map :)

Post by Merowingg »

The map has very interesting shape :)

I like the base locations and general look :)

Details are visible which is important too :)

Good job man :)

Go on creating :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

This looks like an improved take on the TokenRing map. I invite you to submit it to Addons.
Yeah, i've read your comment and decided to make a new one (: But this one has more complicated topology already.
If you want the A.I. players to build defenses in particular spots you need to lay Gateways in those areas.
Hmm, ok, i've updated the 8c-MountainLake2.wz, and now it has some gateways. Is there any easy way of copying the gateways to the other map? (grepping/sedding/awking through the files in the .wz archive is an easy way; repainting them by hand is not).
Details are visible which is important too :)
Thanks Mero :) Yeah, i also hate these invisible details XD
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote:If you want the A.I. players to build defenses in particular spots you need to lay Gateways in those areas.
hao wrote:Hmm, ok, i've updated the 8c-MountainLake2.wz, and now it has some gateways. Is there any easy way of copying the gateways to the other map? (grepping/sedding/awking through the files in the .wz archive is an easy way; repainting them by hand is not).
No. There is no copy-pasta function for GWs. I've looked at your map closely & 16 GWs is all you need place. 10 minutes work, tops.

- RV :ninja:

Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

It is a nice map to play on. Gateways for the AIs would make it even nicer :)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

All right, we have lots of gateways now, and i've fixed one broken tile. But i still see some strange problems here. First of all, why don't some of the bots take the oils? I'm not talking about the ones on the islands, but they don't even take the oils between the bases :S I also wonder if there's any guide on effective gateway placing, since the original AI doesn't seem to use all of them.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I had a quick look, and in trunk, all the AI go for the oil right away. It looks like you are not using gateways correctly, though. The point is to stretch them all the way across bottlenecks on the map - the AI will make openings in the gateways for droids to pass through on its own. You do not need to leave such openings; in fact, this will confuse the AI and make it build rather weird looking defenses.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

All right, i've finally fixed the gateways (only on the low-power version), and i think it's time to put it into addons. But the derrick problem still exists (i didn't check out the trunk on it yet).

P.S. a technical question: was it worth waking up the topic after two weeks to say just this much?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

hao wrote:P.S. a technical question: was it worth waking up the topic after two weeks to say just this much?
Yeah, that's fine.