3.1 beta8 has been released!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
iap
Trained
Trained

Re: 3.1 beta8 has been released!

Post by iap »

Yes sure. But maybe to remind everyone and to reiterate, it worth the effort.
Hysteresis00
New user

Post by Hysteresis00 »

iap wrote:
vexed wrote:You can get the nightly builds (http://buildbot.wz2100.net/files/3.1) to test to see if it is fixed--which is part of the problem, nobody wants to test nightly builds and report to us if something broke.
So, we are left with doing releases where things get slipped by...
You can just announce some important nightly the same way you announce the beta, but with much less formality. Just call it "pre-beta release" and write a line or two of what should be focused on testing. It is still the same nightly, so no extra work except the writing of the post itself.
what you could do is on the front page, put a link to the nightly releases? i didn't know about the nightly releases until i read that. broadcasting nightly releases (even more so, the ones with the major fixes) would be beneficial. :)
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

I would see that more as new sticky (global) thread maybe, placing such information here will probably decrease usefulness of this forum section for others (as it would generate plenty of topics quickly)...
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
fxgher
Greenhorn

Post by fxgher »

Emdek,
I think that placing a link to the nightlies in the homepage would help the problem in testing the new patches.
look at openttd.org - they do not have one RC available now, but when they do they show the links for the stable, the RC and the nightly build on the top left corner of the homepage.
thanks for keeping up with the good work!
fxgher
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

fxgher, yes, that is what I mean, some pretty visible place with link and proper description.
Though I think that it's better to have that only on forums, to not generate too much confusion for "outsiders", for them beta builds should be enough. ;-)

vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

For the nightly builds, right now, we threw up a sticky in this forum, I guess we will see how that goes.

For the frontpage, I suppose we can do that, but it really needs a redesign--guess we will throw up a help wanted sign for that as well. :)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

There aren't any "better" or "worse" desynchs.

Synch is completely perfect (down to the completely exact location of each tank, and everything), unless there's a desynch, after which, any similarities between the games in each client are purely coincidental. If you're not seeing a "2+2=5" icon, synch is perfect. If you are constantly seeing a "2+2=5" icon, then everyone listed next to the icon is in a completely different universe than you. (Note that the "2+2=5" icon sometimes disappears while the "Zzz" icon is visible, even if the game isn't in synch, but reappears as soon as the "Zzz" is gone.)
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

I guess that we could have some better way to inform players about such issues, any ideas?
Maybe make border of "2+2=5" red (since it is important issue) and if both happens then make border o "zZz" red too.

fxgher
Greenhorn

Post by fxgher »

just a little OT:
I am looking for various/different AI, but the only one I found (outside the packaged Semperfi and Nexus) is NullBot.
do you think that it could be useful to add a page to the maps/mods section of the site with the list of the available AIs?
fxgher
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I don't know of any other AIs that work on 3.1.
fxgher
Greenhorn

Post by fxgher »

NoQ,
it would be a good place for your work anyhow.
new players do not know about the availability of a different AI other than what is packaged, and trying something different could awaken the programmer sleeping inside of some of our players. exploring your code they(and me too) can understand some of the inner workings of this game, and maybe help improving it.
fxgher
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Uhm yeah maybe, but addons that don't work on the latest stable version aren't allowed in addons section yet.
Ok, added advertisement to my signature ... :oops:
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I have 2 tickets to report: one minor, and another, potentially serious. Both bugs were spotted in beta 7 (I'm not usually interested in getting the most recent beta ASAP :P ), but they may be present in beta 8 as well.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Cyp wrote:There aren't any "better" or "worse" desynchs.
The "synching" mechanism in 2.3 that try to make competing universe look more similar to each other render the desynch lot more bearable than in 3.1 where parallel universe simply diverge more and more...
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Iluvalar wrote:
Cyp wrote:There aren't any "better" or "worse" desynchs.
The "synching" mechanism in 2.3 that try to make competing universe look more similar to each other render the desynch lot more bearable than in 3.1 where parallel universe simply diverge more and more...
The lack of desynch in 3.1 is more bearable than the unconditional desynch (which happens by design) in 2.3.

It is true that a desynch in 3.1 (probability 0.1%, except in completely broken releases, such as β8) is worse than a typical desynch in 2.3 (probability 100%), but it's not worse than a bad desynch in 2.3 (probability 20%).

(All probabilities guessed and made up on the spot, except for the 100% which is exactly correct.)