3.1 beta7 has been released!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: 3.1 beta7 has been released!

Post by NoQ »

RBL-4NiK8r wrote:Well as an old school T1 player, I hate the fact you need to build the HQ just to make trucks, there is no way to justify this to me and needs to go back the way it was. Hell the AI can make trucks without the HQ and they are getting trucks out faster then you.
That's a bug. Why so many people fail to understand such a simple thing?
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

RBL-4NiK8r wrote:Also I don't understand why some of my factories could not build tanks, I had to redo all my vehicles to show up in the factory
You can update your factory by adding more modules to it, like your research labs. All you need to do is to research factory module.
You have to do this to be able to build more complicated/advanced tanks - and if I remember correctly it has been like this in the original PS1 game as well, so no reason to blame the devs for that
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

I notice that trucks no longer repair nearby damaged structures. Also - and this is a separate issue - if they sense a more distant structure with serious damage, they will hare off to repair that. Are these errors or tweaks? I can't decide - not having been able to play any previous 3.1.beta.
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

zydonk wrote:I notice that trucks no longer repair nearby damaged structures. Also - and this is a separate issue - if they sense a more distant structure with serious damage, they will hare off to repair that. Are these errors or tweaks? I can't decide - not having been able to play any previous 3.1.beta.
they repair things that are close for me
RBL-4NiK8r
Trained
Trained

Post by RBL-4NiK8r »

Asgorath wrote:
RBL-4NiK8r wrote:Also I don't understand why some of my factories could not build tanks, I had to redo all my vehicles to show up in the factory
You can update your factory by adding more modules to it, like your research labs. All you need to do is to research factory module.
You have to do this to be able to build more complicated/advanced tanks - and if I remember correctly it has been like this in the original PS1 game as well, so no reason to blame the devs for that
Really wow I never knew you could add more modules on the factories. Guess that's why I could never have Python body tanks DUH!!!

No the problem I had was that 3 of my factories were taken out when I rebuilt them I could not make the same vehicles that I had before. I have not retested this to know if it was a bug or a major problem, basically I have to go back and redo all my vehicle types for it to show up on the menu.

4nE
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

That's a cool question. Maybe i can try beating the campaign with only small bodies? The away missions will get pretty hard (:

P.S. #3388 :?:
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

In the campaign, the mission Beta 8 appears to be buggy. I cannot get more than 5 minutes into the mission, then everything starts jerking, and becomes impossible to play. I had the same problem in 3.1 beta 4, and posted here, but as it is still persisting, I thought it might be a bug.

Same system, but with beta4 uninstalled, and beta7 installed instead. As before, I can compress the log and post it.

Searge
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Had factory #1 destroyed by satlas. Built a decoy factory #2. Built replacement factory for #1 and discovered that it is also designated #2. So I have two factories #2. Is this causing some of the confusion in factory production discussed above.

btw trucks seem not to register events in adjacent squares, which explains why they no longer repair nearby damage. Also notice they will not pass between diagonally placed structures. The two problems together created quite a nuisance in defense, esp under attack.
cue
Trained
Trained

Post by cue »

Cyp wrote:In the 2.x versions, there was a lot of synchronisation code (which didn't really work very well).

In 3.1, that synchronisation code is gone, and instead it relies on the game running deterministically, so it's automatically the same on all clients without explicit synchronisation.

It's not normal that the "2+2=5" shows up. But if it does, it means something went wrong, so there won't be any kind of synchronisation from then on (unless it somehow manages to by accident (which is unlikely), in which case the "2+2=5" disappears again).
We played 2 human VS 4 AIs. server was a I7 and the other player was a P4 3ghz. We played with NullBot and Beta 7.
The game slowed down on both computers, but CPU on the P4 was at 100% on one core but not so high on the second core.
The CPU on the server was steady at 13%.
But we think that the slower computer is also slowing down the server .

But that should not happen if the sync code is gone, should it???
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

AIs are only run on the server. Other clients don't even need to have the AI script.
If the slowdown you experienced on the server looked like "Zzz" message, then it's a slow network problem, and the number under Zzz icon indicates which client is lagging. If it doesn't, then it's the ineffective script.
cue
Trained
Trained

Post by cue »

That's very useful and interesting.
But if the AI script is not used by the clients, how can the game be "deterministic"?
So clients just run pathfinding, animation and network talk.

The slow P4 client sometimes saw a "Zzz 3" message about the server (the server was number 3).
But that can not be as the server is a very powerful computer on an optical fiber connection (50mbit).
And the server had messages about the client too.

I need to understand better what aubergine wrote in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9259&p=100430#p100430
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

The slow P4 client sometimes saw a "Zzz 3" message about the server (the server was number 3).
But that can not be as the server is a very powerful computer on an optical fiber connection (50mbit).
Oh come on, even at the speed of light, ping from america to europe will be no less than 100ms.
Zzz will always be.

As far as i know, Zzz appears not because the pings are non-zero, but because they suddenly jump.
cue
Trained
Trained

Post by cue »

It was from Iceland to Sweden.

With MS ping the latency never jumped more then 40-48 MS during the whole game, and that was with a 1400 byte packet.
The WZ packets are less then 140bytes
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

Searge-Major wrote:In the campaign, the mission Beta 8 appears to be buggy. I cannot get more than 5 minutes into the mission, then everything starts jerking, and becomes impossible to play. I had the same problem in 3.1 beta 4, and posted here, but as it is still persisting, I thought it might be a bug.

Same system, but with beta4 uninstalled, and beta7 installed instead. As before, I can compress the log and post it.

Searge
No bug truely exists until there is a ticket properly describing it; if you have not already created one, please do so.
User:dak180
Keeper of the Mac Builds
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

cue wrote:But if the AI script is not used by the clients, how can the game be "deterministic"?
The host tells the other peers what the AI is doing, as if another human player was connected to the host playing.